New Woman Rider from AZ

Hi from AZ.

Just picked up a 2011 FZ1 a couple months ago. I really love this bike. I had a Ninja 650 and wanted something with more power. Sport touring is my favorite style of riding and being very short limits what I can ride. I have a 25" inseam. In 30 years of riding I've always had to settle for cruisers if I want to reach the ground. After a few years of not only riding off-road I picked up the Ninja a couple years ago, lowered it 2" and was a great bike. After riding my son's ZX10 I wanted something with more power. Did some research and the FZ won. Still had to lower it 2" so I could get both tip-toes on the ground at the same time, that's with thick sole boots. The first weekend I had it rode some twisties and was amazed. It's the first 4 cyl I've had and all I could think was smooth! Can't wait to take it on a long trip. So far just day trips 300 mile max. Getting ready to take it from AZ to WA. My first bike was an off-road Yamaha so I've always been partial to them.

Anyway, this site has a lot of info so I'll be lurking around here a lot.

Welcome aboard. Being 'undertall' with a 25" inseam would be a challenge for sure, glad that you can make it work and get away from a slow cruiser. Lots of information here. Lurk away and chime in with questions and tips.

Last edited:
Welcome and congrats. It's nice to have another lady to grace our pages. You'll feel at home since we have quite a few other female FZ1 owners here on the site. How about a pic of the new ride?! Best of luck with it!

Welcome to the family. That was just perfect to read. I have been trying to convince my wife to get her license but she thinks she's to short. Her inseam is 26" so I just made her read your post. Now hopefully after reading this my convincing will be that much easier.

Just realized I do not have any pictures of the bike. Will take some tomorrow and post them up.

RI Grinch. A great bike for your wife to start with would be the Ninja 650. It actually has a seat height 1 inch lower than the FZ1. They make a 2" lowering link that is real easy to install. It's a great bike to start with.

I started riding street bikes 30 years ago. When I was younger rode bikes I couldn't reach the ground on. Just had to jump to the side when stoping. Then went to cruisers so I could reach the ground. I'm glad they are making sport bikes with a lower seat height. The only problem I have now is have to be careful on some speed bumps, only have a 3" ground clearance.

The only problem I have now is have to be careful on some speed bumps, only have a 3" ground clearance.

I put a Soupy's Lowering Link on my fz1 and I cringe everytime I hit a pothole or speedbump, so I know what you're feeling there!

And :welcome: aboard! Will look foward to seeing pics of your new baby

I feel sorry for people with short inseam. The lowering screws up the handling of the bike but watcha gonna do. You get to enjoy an awesome bike is what that matters!

We have thewolftamer here who is an experienced rider and does really well with the stock height.

Welcome!

Back