New Yamaha Project???

Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

Just so you know this is my prime thread for status of the project. You guys get the most photos and detail.

I learned a lot about polishing. For instance the correct term is "Buffing." What do I know? I also learned I was using way too much compond, and the different buffing wheel are used for different purposes. Again, what do I know? Also, polishing cream, is not what you want to begin buffing with. I need to find a place in town that has the proper buffing rouges.

Yesterday taught me a lot so hopefully it goes faster next time.

I'm still mulling the easiest way to clean/strip the cooling fins. I really don't want to drop the motor. That said I think is is only four bolts. Lazy...

Again, for me the fun part of this project is trying to figure stuff out, and learning as I go. :tup:

I think tonight I may work on the right side case cover. It is very flat, unlike the left side, so I hope it goes quickly.

Heart and Lung Transplant

Well the motor is going to get dropped for a heart and lung transplant.

I just picked up a 2003 Yamaha XVS1100 motor from FleaBay, $600.00.

This gets me the following:
1) 95mm pistons vs 92mm
2) Nikasil lined cylinders vs. iron slug in aluminum
3) Larger cooling fin surface
4) 47mm intake valves vs. 43mm
5) Stroker crank and rods
6) 1100cc vs. 920cc
7) Internal rotating parts that weight about 7 lbs less!
8) Much better squish area

The idea is to use my existing 920 cases (chain vs. shaft drive) and transplant the crank, rods, cylinders, pistons, and heads. Add my existing stuff from the 920; carbs, starter motor, etc.

Then tune with the following:

1) MegaCycle Cams/springs and retainers
2) Deck heads by .025 to increase the compression
3) IgniTech adjustable TCI

Brah-hahahaha!!!!

View attachment 13229

Yes I plan to. I just need to find a competent dyno shop in OKC. Otherwise I'll take her to AF1, 8 hour drive...

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

You have completely lost your mind:popcorn:

Oh this is just the tip of the iceburg Johnny!

The stock XVS1100 motor makes a whopping 52hp! I think my 920 is supposed to be 60. (Cruisers are pathetic aren't they?) Several reasons for this 1) Exhaust manifolds that look like a plumbing pipe, 2) Low lift and duration cams, 3) Very low compression motor, 8.25:1

So being the interweb surfing expert that I am...I found these guys: V Star 1100 Performance Engine Parts (509)466-3410

Through PCS I can get 10.6:1 piston kits, $360, performance cams, $259 a pair. (These are really JE Pistons, and Web Cam cams, developed with PCS specifically for the XVS motor.)

Granted I paid that much for the entire motor but relatively inexpensive when compared to modern sport bike mods.

I think that will get the motor where I want it to be performance wise. And it will keep the overall labor down. At $75 to $100 per hour machinist time adds up very, very fast!

The build plan is to leave the heads whole, simple soda blast them for cleaning, and drop in the cams. No dis-assembly, or fancy spring kits, less labor. The pistons are a simple replacement for the old ones. No honing required on the cylinders as they are Nicasil. I will have everything balanced.

New bearings on the bottom end and of course new gaskets.

The question marks are the induction system and the ignition system. I think I can jet the Hitachi carbs to work. Not sure with the TCI. There is one supplier who make an adjustable TCI, however I've not been able to find any feedback on it yet. If that works and I can tweak the ignition curve it should be a very nice motor.

Ideally I'd like to keep the old carbs to keep a stock look to the bike. Keihin makes a killer 39mm flat slide set up but it is $1100! That I will draw the line on!

Stay tuned...

yamaha-virago.jpg

Yamaha Virago XV920

Pete if you have somebody local that can do vapor blasting I highly recommend it to clean the heads. The results are fantastic...

Tony I can't find anything on Vapor Blasting from a quick Google search for the area. Would a sandblasting shop typically have that capability?

Tony I can't find anything on Vapor Blasting from a quick Google search for the area. Would a sandblasting shop typically have that capability?

No, they wouldn't necessarily be able to do it. You need special equipment for it and it's gentler on the finish while still getting it clean.

No, they wouldn't necessarily be able to do it. You need special equipment for it and it's gentler on the finish while still getting it clean.

Okay thanks, that's what I suspected. I'll begin asking around. I may have to head to Dallas to find a place.

My nickname for OKC is, "The Land that Time Forgot."

Back