New Yamaha Project???

Well lots of work today. I dropped the motor and got a large part of it taken apart.

I was planning on recycling the bearing from the XVS case, but decided at the last minute to order new Yamaha bearings.

I also found my petcocks were toast. I took the bike out yesterday and she was a thumper. The front cylinder was not firing. Come to find out the diaphragm of the the right petcock was dead. When I started her up tablespoons of raw fuel poured out from the header and the muffler joint. Talk about flooded!

So two petcocks and a set of bearings later, yet another Yamaha order is placed...

View attachment 13675

Ready to drop, and soaking in the work of the last six months.

View attachment 13676

Rear cylinder and head off, front is not cooperating

View attachment 13677

Heads and cylinders off

View attachment 13678

As far as I made it. I need a different gear puller. I have two different ones, but neither work. Ugh...

View attachment 13679

The 1/3 tail cat came to visit

View attachment 13680

920 pistons (big) vs. 1100 pistons (small)

View attachment 13681

920 pistons (big) vs. 1100 pistons (small)

View attachment 13682

Last edited:
Jeez! Busy man today. Well done Pete!

I love the second photo... the Tuono peeking over and looking quite pi$$ed off about the time you're spending on her. :rant:

Or a two stroke dirt bike

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

OK, you got me there. I'd say a 2-stroke sportbike too :cheerleader:
2-Stroke_Engine_ani.gif

I propose this one...
060908top1.jpg

Last edited:
Ugh, what a week.

The past few days I've been working on removing the flywheel, what PITA!!!!

Of course this flywheel requires three "bolts" vs. the two bolt set up with my HF gear/bearing puller.

So I bought a harmonic balancer puller from AZ.

Well the AZ HB didn't work. It is a "whimpy-wampy thang" and flexed as I hit it with the electric torque driver. The "pusher" part was not convex so it skated on the end of the crank shaft.

So after a trip back to Northern Tool, HF, several auto parts shops, three idiotic motorcycle shops, I was back at HF.

I bought ANOTHER bearing/gear puller set. Then I hit up PepBoys for another HB puller. I used the top of the PB HB puller, and the three bolts from the HF bearing puller kits. Hit her with the impact driver, torch, and hammer, X3. And BAM!!! Off comes the fly wheel....geeez...

Original Harmonic Balancer from Auto Zone...didn't work, flexed off.

View attachment 13756

Hellgate's combo gear pulller. Worked like a charm! Note how much thicker the rods are. I also shimmed it up with hardened steel washers. What I really need is an air impact vs. the electric. Some day...

View attachment 13757

Last edited:
So here's the "money shot." This is the main reason for the transplant motor, the second and third are the cylinders and the heads. Fourth is a taller 5th gear.

The difference is about 3.5 lbs in rotating mass. With the new pistons and cams this thing should spin up pretty fast. 60hp vs. ~80hp.

Instead of, "Cap'n, I'm given' 'er all she's got!" She should move down the road at a good clip.

View attachment 13758

View attachment 13759

I'll tell you what Billy, OKC is the "Land that Time Forgot." It is SO hard to find things and services here.

I was at a pretty nice Triumph, Suzuki dealership, and I asked for a Yamaha Flywheel puller, the kid at the Service counter said, "Huh?"

Then I Googled, "Tools Oklahoma City." I found "Steve's Wholesale Tools. I asked the same question there, and they told me to go to a Harley shop. UGH.

Well at least I filled out four applications last week...

I'll tell you what Billy, OKC is the "Land that Time Forgot." It is SO hard to find things and services here.

I was at a pretty nice Triumph, Suzuki dealership, and I asked for a Yamaha Flywheel puller, the kid at the Service counter said, "Huh?"

Then I Googled, "Tools Oklahoma City." I found "Steve's Wholesale Tools. I asked the same question there, and they told me to go to a Harley shop. UGH.

Well at least I filled out four applications last week...

I'm sorry Pete. I tried my best to find an "Officer and a Gentleman" Steers and Queers clip that was censored but they don't have one. It would have been funny right about now. :evillaugh:

Seems that no one place ever has everything we need... troublesome! The important thing is.... it is done. :tup: Excellent Recon work Top!

This thing is going to haul ARSE! Loving the build... keep it coming. :Rockon:

I'll get home Eric. I had a great interview with G olf Smi th, but their HR Manager moved on to Applied Materials, a company I'd worked for, for 14 years.

I've had a couple of other nibbles, but not bites yet. Honestly I hope I get something before I'm canned. My current boss is soooo far off base she has no idea what I'm talking about. I've never been in a situation where people are so ignorant that they don't understand what I'm talking about.

I'm a training manager BTW, technical (SAP, Oracle ERPs), employee and leadership development. I've been doing this for 20 years, presented at conferences, been interviewed for magazines, and sought after. I've never been so lost in my life. This place just doesn't get it.

Back