New Yamaha Project???

beatiful bike how much does she weigh?

Good question. The stock dry weight is 493 lbs, so wet is maybe 530? I've removed 55lbs from it so far. So about 475 wet? Not too bad really. The motor is real lump.

I'd guess the project bike that Dustin posted is 455 to 460?

Some day I'll get mine on a set of scales.

The Lump Arrived!

The donor XVS1100 motor arrived today, what an oinker! Much of the added mass is from fakey chrome crap to make it look like a Hardley Ableson. The case covers are MASSIVE compared to the 920's covers.

What I do like is the fin surface area is about 100% more than the 920. I knew it was more, but not this much. Especially the heads. I have some concern if they will even fit! If the don't I'll have the excess material machined back. Even if that is done I'll have 50% more fin surface on the heads.

Tonight I'll begin pulling the motor apart. On the surface it is in excellent condition!

View attachment 13342

View attachment 13343

View attachment 13344

Last edited:
I found another benefit of using the XVS as a donor, fifth gear is taller! wOOt!

The 920R has a 30/33 (0.909)

The XVS has a 29/34 (0.853)

All of the other gears are the same. I don't know what this will do for the top end, however, cruising at 75/85 the bike will not feel to nervous and wound up.

Also, any thoughts on engine paint? The cylinders of the XVS are aluminum, I'd like to paint them black so the bike looks more original.

I have never had any luck with engine paint out of a spray can. always seems to look great at first but after a few heat cycles it flakes off.
I think black would look the best but i would try to find something better than a rattle can.

Shocking!

The custom Wilber's shock arrived today. HOOLEEE COW!

I've had two Ohlins, one Penske, a pair of Marzzokis (sp?), and a pair of Works shocks over the past 30 years. I think the Wilbers is the highest build quality I've ever seen. It is darn near perfect! Too bad it is hidden deep inside the bike. It really is stunning.

We're in the middle of an Oklahoma "blizzard" (yes that is a joke) so I've not ridden it yet. However the butt, bounce test was very nice and controlled. :Rockon:

View attachment 13374

View attachment 13375

View attachment 13376

View attachment 13377

Thanks Billy. This is really a fun project.

I know on the surface it hasn't changed much, but performance wise the bike is beyond night and day!

The shock saved another 3.5lbs, that is about a 60 lbs drop so far. As I move the bike around the garage, it is amazing how much easier it is to do.

Hopefully I can get her out on the road this weekend. In addition to the shock, I want to try out the FZ1 caliper up front.

The Harvest

Here's the majority of the parts that are going from the XVS1100 motor to the XV920R cases.

Based on what I've learned on dis-assembly I may very well try assembly. As long as I follow Mr. Yamaha's manual to a tee, I'm good to go!

$300.00 in Yamaha small parts due in on Saturday. All I need are my pistons and cams.

View attachment 13408

View attachment 13409

Here's the majority of the parts that are going from the XVS1100 motor to the XV920R cases.

Based on what I've learned on dis-assembly I may very well try assembly. As long as I follow Mr. Yamaha's manual to a tee, I'm good to go!

$300.00 in Yamaha small parts due in on Saturday. All I need are my pistons and cams.

View attachment 13408

View attachment 13409

Hey Pete, we have Zip Loc Bags on sale this month at the yard in case you need more at 2 for $5.00! :poke: Gonna be a fun rebuild!

Starter Fix

The early XVs both 750s and 920s are well known for their terrible stater clutches. It is really a dumb design that lasted two years. The idea is to spin a gear up and smash it into the flywheel gear to turn the motor over. There's not meshing, just smash the gears together. In turn it makes hellva racket, and eventually wears the gears completely out. Basically sheering them.

My starter left us 75 miles from home one day and I was able to bump start the bike. I bought a new battery and converted from a two brush starter to a four brush. The four brush spins much faster, and much more torque so the whole process works better. Notice I didn't say good.

What wears out is the gear bolted on the back of the flywheel, and the number two idle gear. That is the one that smashes into the flywheel.

Well I managed to find # 1 & 2 NOS idle gears on FleaBay and replaced them today. I also replaced the two clips; one at the starter gear (bendix) the other on the starter clutch. It was a quick change out; 45 to 60 minutes.

Once I removed the case cover I was happy to find out that the gear on the back of the flywheel appears to be BRAND new! Thank you PO! That was about $400 for a flywheel assembly.

With the new gears and clips, the beast fires right up! She's still loud but spins much, much better, and now the motor fires right up!

Starter gear on the upper left, starter clutch assembly on the right. Far gear and middle gear replaced. Near gear in good shape.

View attachment 13426

View attachment 13427

New looking flywheel gears

View attachment 13428

Old fired gear.

View attachment 13429

Last edited:
The early XVs both 750s and 920s are well known for their terrible stater clutches. It is really a dumb design that lasted two years. The idea is to spin a gear up and smash it into the flywheel gear to turn the motor over. There's not meshing, just smash the gears together. In turn it makes hellva racket, and eventually wears the gears completely out. Basically sheering them.

My start left us 75 miles from home one day and I was able to bump start the bike. I bought a new battery and converted from a two brush starter to a four brush. The four brush spins much faster, and much more torque so the whole process works better. Notice I didn't say good.

What wears out is the gear bolted on the back of the flywheel, and the number two idle gear. That is the one that smashes into the flywheel.

Well I managed to find # 1 & 2 NOS idle gears on FleaBay and replaced them today. I also replaced the two clips; one at the starter gear (bendix) the other on the starter clutch. It was a quick change out; 45 to 60 minutes.

Once I removed the case cover I was happy to find out that the gear on the back of the flywheel appears to be BRAND new! Thank you PO! That was about $400 for a flywheel assembly.

With the new gears and clips, the beast fires right up! She's still loud but spins much, much better, and now the motor fires right up!

Starter gear on the upper left, starter clutch assembly on the right. Far gear and middle gear replaced. Near gear in good shape.

View attachment 13426

View attachment 13427

View attachment 13428

Old fired gear.

View attachment 13429

You may save the gears by just "bump starting" her all the time! That's a sucky system they had.

My start left us 75 miles from home one day and I was able to bump start the bike. I bought a new battery and converted from a two brush starter to a four brush. The four brush spins much faster, and much more torque so the whole process works better. Notice I didn't say good.

View attachment 13426

View attachment 13427

View attachment 13428

Old fired gear.

View attachment 13429

I'm sure the 4 brush starter being able to spin the engine faster will smooth out the uneven compression pulses and help the life of the gears and one-way clutch.

Well my back has healed up, the pistons and cams are due in on Tuesday so I'm dropping the motor and taking her apart today.

Go big or go home, right? Or whatever they say these days...

I don't know how I missed all this activity but holy crap Pete! This is awesome!

You are my Hero! Well done and please keep it coming. :tup:

Back