Nitron NTR Sport Shock

My Nitron sport shock arrived today, Woo Hoo!!
It's one quality piece of engineering and I can't wait to install it this week.
It's a one way gas mono-shock with a separating piston, so the oil and gas doesn't mix (like emulsion shocks) and the shock doesn't fade after sustained use.
Nitron recommended this shock to me for fast street riding and track days.
Apparently they have race bikes with the sport shock fitted so I though for $586 AUD delivered, why not give it a try.
It is sprung and valved for my weight and it's height adjustable so I've asked them to set the shock at 325mm in length, eye to eye (320mm stock)
This was Lee from Traxxions recommended settings for the FZ1 and it is supposed to assist turn in and handling in general.
Once I fit it up and go for a ride, I'll post my findings.

Here are a few pics:

Nitron1.jpg

Nitron2.jpg

Nitron3.jpg

Definately give a review when you fit your shock I will be waiting to hear. I would like to know how this shock compares with the penske

looks like you might have a hard time reaching under your bike to do the adjustment on the rebound, if you need to..

It's the same as any other after market shock, most have the rebound adjustment on the bottom of the shock.
It's not too hard to reach under, turn the knob and count clicks

It's the same as any other after market shock, most have the rebound adjustment on the bottom of the shock.
It's not too hard to reach under, turn the knob and count clicks

not exactly true.. most of them are actually located at the top of the shock, rather than under.

this is where the design of the shocks come into play and you know whether the manufacturer are involved in track racings or not.

let us know on how the shock performs.. i'll bet my dollar that it will definitely perform better than the stock shock that came on the FZ1.

Both my Penske on the FZ 1 and the Ohlins on the. Fz6 had the rebound on the bottom. The Ohlins TTX on my R6 has so many adjustments I've no idea what's what.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

We ran into a problem when fitting the shock today,the top bush is 2mm too wide.
The bush is 32mm wide when it should be 30mm.
Someone either stuffed up at Nitron or the 2010 FZ1N top shock mount is 30mm wide now?
It's not a big issue as I'll take it to work tomorrow and get 2mm faced off the bush and try again on Friday.

Once you get it on you will enjoy the extra ride height. For me it was very noticeable on the first ride! Also I would recommend getting a cover for the shock, it will keep the shaft clean and prolong the time between rebuilds. Mine cost about 20 bucks thru traxxion but I am sure they can be sourced at other places.

Last edited:
Crisis averted ;)
The shock is now fitted up after 1mm from each spacer was machined off.
I'll post up some pictures tomorrow and a ride report will follow after Saturdays ride.

That looks good mate. I don't think the comp/rebound adjuster will be too hard to reach either. I'll look forward to you ride report.

Enjoy the ride this weekend.....are you going up to Mt White?

PK1

That looks good mate. I don't think the comp/rebound adjuster will be too hard to reach either. I'll look forward to you ride report.

Enjoy the ride this weekend.....are you going up to Mt White?

PK1

Yeah mate, early Sat morning before it gets too hot. Maybe around 8:30 am.

Where do I start with this review?
It's hard to be accurate because I have also changed tyres from the stock Dunlop D221's to Dunlop Q2's.
The Dunlop Q2's are awesome tyres that allowed me to really push the bike harder than I have before.

It's hard to say which change allowed me to ride faster but I suspect it was a combination of both.
I spent around 5 hours doing laps of one of the most technical, tight and challenging sections of road around Sydney which we call, "The Old Rd".
For those of you that aren't familiar with it, it runs from the north of Sydney to Gosford and has light traffic, has some awesome twisties and is a favourite road for Sydney Motorcycle riders (and don't the Police know this too)

My initial impressions of the Nitron shock were that it was smoother over the bumpy sections but the bike was still quite stiff in the rear.
I remember the wallowing that I used to get with the stock suspension when I first bought my FZ1.
There was none of this wallowing with the Nitron shock.
I experimented with the rebound settings but they were pretty close to Nitron's 10 clicks out from full hard factory settings.
I ended up leaving it at 9 clicks out from full hard.

I was a little disappointed that the extra 5mm rear ride height did not make the bike steer that much quicker. Maybe I just have to get used to the fact that I'm not riding my K6 Gixxer thou any more and ride my FZ1 accordingly.
Possibly another few mm of additional rear ride height will help to quicken the steering up, we'll see.

This review will have to be a work in progress as I cannot definitively say that it was my Nitron shock that allowed me to ride faster today. I suspect it was a combination of both new shock and grippy new tyres.
Either way, I had a blast today and it was an awesome day for a ride here in Sydney. The best part was that I didn't see any highway patrol guys on "The Old Rd" all day.
The Nitron sport shock is definitely better than the stock one but how much better remains to be seen. I need to do a few more rides to really know the answer.
Either way, I had an awesome day out today and my FZ1 just keeps on getting better and better.

Back