Note to self, no more bloody knee down !!

SETH46

Hmmmm !! kinda found out that if i crank it right over with the new belly pan and do some knee/peg scraping, i rish melting straight through the bloody pan !! not good. oh well, sensible riding for me from now on !! lol

What do we think ............. 52 maybe 53 degrees lean angle ???? :cowboy:

Right over anyway i know that !!

picture aint shown abouve ?? here we go

picture.php

What company makes that pan? I don't think the OEM pan will rub before other parts touch down... You could always drop that pan if you plan on dragging a knee and out it back when not.

I've wondered what reason most people purchase a belly pan for? I'm not doubting it's merits, I'm just genuinely interested in knowing the benefits. Is it mostly a cosmetic thing for most folks or does it provide substantially improved aerodynamics and protection to the bottom of the engine? One thing I really like about half naked bikes is that it makes maintenance, such as oil changes, a snap when there are no fairings to remove... but it would seem the belly pan takes this advantage away.

I've wondered what reason most people purchase a belly pan for? I'm not doubting it's merits, I'm just genuinely interested in knowing the benefits. Is it mostly a cosmetic thing for most folks or does it provide substantially improved aerodynamics and protection to the bottom of the engine? One thing I really like about half naked bikes is that it makes maintenance, such as oil changes, a snap when there are no fairings to remove... but it would seem the belly pan takes this advantage away.
i opted 99% for cosmetic reasons. In regards to oil and filer access, no problems at all, its cut out underneath for access.

NO GOOD FOR EXESSIVE CORNERING THOUGH !!!!!!!!! LOL

seth

i opted 99% for cosmetic reasons. In regards to oil and filer access, no problems at all, its cut out underneath for access.

NO GOOD FOR EXESSIVE CORNERING THOUGH !!!!!!!!! LOL

seth

I didn't realize it was cut out on the bottom for oil filter access... good to know! I have to admit it does look nice!

I didn't realize it was cut out on the bottom for oil filter access... good to know! I have to admit it does look nice!

Makes me glad I went for the Yamaha pan, I can scrape the pegs easily without the Bellypan touching down.
I just hope it'll be the same when I fit some rearsets!

Yes, the Yamaha belly pan fits tighter against the bike, but it does need to be removed for oil and filter changes. However, that is not a big deal since it's only being held on by four bolts...five minute job to remove and replace.

Yes, the Yamaha belly pan fits tighter against the bike, but it does need to be removed for oil and filter changes. However, that is not a big deal since it's only being held on by four bolts...five minute job to remove and replace.

Not true Tony. I've done two changes without removing the pan. Why are you removing it? What is the challenge for ya?

Fantastic! I am glad I ended up not lying to you about that. Looking at tit it is hard to imagine getting it out without removing it.

Looking at tit..... it is hard.... ;) :D I know what you meant. :innocent0002:

It does look like it will not work without removing it and yes, it is a tight job to work around it and also, yes, it makes it a simple job if you remove it, but you do not have to.

But in Tony's defense, it is simple to remove with just four screws. BTW, put some blue thread locker on those any time you remove them.

Not true Tony. I've done two changes without removing the pan. Why are you removing it? What is the challenge for ya?

You know Eric I never even tried changing the oil w/o removing it. I thought I read in the instructions that it needed to be removed for oil changes (of course I could just be imagining it). After looking at it I thought it easier to remove it to change the oil than dealing with cleaning it if things didn't go well. Plus it gives me an excuse to clean the headers and belly pan. And to tell you the truth if I knew it was going to take such a beating from the rocks I wouldn't have bought it. The bottom center section is not looking too good already after only about 800 miles of use.

Tony, I think you got a bum paint job on your cowl because mine has yet to show any problems after over 2500 miles on it with the belly pan in place. I saw your chips on the pan but mine isn't exhibiting the same problems. Perhaps a new finish on it with the proper base, color and clear coats would serve to protect it as it should have been?

You know Eric I never even tried changing the oil w/o removing it. I thought I read in the instructions that it needed to be removed for oil changes (of course I could just be imagining it). After looking at it I thought it easier to remove it to change the oil than dealing with cleaning it if things didn't go well. Plus it gives me an excuse to clean the headers and belly pan. And to tell you the truth if I knew it was going to take such a beating from the rocks I wouldn't have bought it. The bottom center section is not looking too good already after only about 800 miles of use.

Tony, I have to apologize and I stand corrected. I had the FZ6 on the brain and after changing the oil today realized you are correct. This cowl does have to come off, at least on the left side, in order to get to the drain bolt and drop the filter. It was on the FZ6 that the OEM cowl could be left on. My first two oil changes on the FZ1? I did not have the cowl. The third change was just before I mounted the cowl. This change? I could not do it. The edge of the cowl was in the way of the socket for the drain bolt and the filter would have been a squeeze to drop out of there.

The good news is, 4 small bolts and she's out of the way.

Also, I inspected it while it was off and cleaned it. I do have some very small chips from rocks right in the center on the nose of it and underneath now. I am going to touch it up with some paint and then cover it with the good automotive clear vinyl rock guard in the center. :tup:

Tony, I have to apologize and I stand corrected. I had the FZ6 on the brain and after changing the oil today realized you are correct. This cowl does have to come off, at least on the left side, in order to get to the drain bolt and drop the filter. It was on the FZ6 that the OEM cowl could be left on. My first two oil changes on the FZ1? I did not have the cowl. The third change was just before I mounted the cowl. This change? I could not do it. The edge of the cowl was in the way of the socket for the drain bolt and the filter would have been a squeeze to drop out of there.

The good news is, 4 small bolts and she's out of the way.

Also, I inspected it while it was off and cleaned it. I do have some very small chips from rocks right in the center on the nose of it and underneath now. I am going to touch it up with some paint and then cover it with the good automotive clear vinyl rock guard in the center. :tup:

Ok, so it does have to be removed! My memory isn't as bad as I thought it was :D

I thought about the clear vinyl in the center section and may still do it to eliminate any further damage from rocks and other objects.

Leave the pan on and ride like you would normaly untill you scrap the belly pan all the way back. Then take it to a plastic repairer and get it fixed and a new paint job. You are already up for a paint job so why not go all the way.

Back