OK, so.... Suspension on Gen 2 FZ1!

Seabass

I know I know! it has been discussed a million times before, and yes, I have trawled the forum in search of answers, and yes I maybe should try a little harder, and yes maybe I should learn how suspension really works (although I'm slowly getting there after reading numerous links some of you fine FZ riders have put up as links in other threads!

But... Just wanted to run something by you in the hope I can be guided by the wise!

This may sound really bad, although I would go as far as to say that there are probably tons of bikers out there that have never really tampered with the suspension on their bikes before, don't get me wrong I've had a few 'half hearted goes' at improving how the bikes ride, but never really sat down and looked at things properly before, until now.

Whilst searching the forum I found a thread titled "Homework assignment" where a member had put a link to a motorcycle suspension worksheet. I took the liberty of using this to help in adjusting my gen 2 FZ1's suspension, with the following results:

Rear shock- measured from the centre of the axle to a marked point on the tail section

Fully extended - 540mm
static sag - 535mm
rider sag (all kitted up) - 510mm

difference between fully extended and static sag - 5mm
difference between fully extended and rider sag - 30mm

Front forks - measured from where the black rubber seal meets the gold section of the fork, down to where the stanchions meet the metal part, to which the front axle runs through

Fully extended - 146mm
static sag - 120mm
rider sag - 105mm

difference between fully extended and static sag - 26mm
difference between fully extended and rider sag - 41mm

I am about 16 1/4 stone (224 ish pounds) fully kitted up in riding gear, with the bike being a 2008 FZ1-S, and although I plan to upgrade the rear shock in the future, as well as changing the front springs for my weight, I would like to make the best of the stock suspension as it is until I can afford the upgrades.

Also, I have the front rebound damping set to 15 clicks from fully clockwise (hardest)

I have the front compression damping set to 5 clicks from fully clockwise

On the rear I have the spring preload set to 4 (Out of a max. of 7 settings, 7 being hardest)

The rebound damping on the rear is set to 6 clicks from fully clockwise (hardest)

Just wondering what you chaps think of these settings and the sag settings in particular. I find when riding the FZ1 over more bumpy road surfaces it provides quite a harsh ride (doesn't soak up the bumps too well). I would particulary like to hear from anyone who is of similar weight to me, and what settings they are running.

Thanks for your time folks, and apologies if I've missed anything... :)

I'm not a pro, and have little experience other than I have a race shop set my suspension for me.

One thing he did say is that to never set the rebound to the max setting, because it closes off the valve and will make the bike wallow through corners. He said to always come from the max setting then back at least one click.

Also do you know if you have a stiffer spring on your rear shock? My rear shock had to have the preload set all the way at the max for me. I weight 240 lbs (17 stone).

I weigh about the same as you all kitted up and after trying many settings over the last few years I've gone back to ones close to the standard.

Front preload - 4.5
Front comp - 10
Front rebound - 18

Rear preload - 4
Rear rebound - 8

When I bounce the bike by pushing down on the tank it all comes up at the same time and speed....that's what your aiming for.

Your setting may be different due to my bike being a naked and how many miles you have on the clock (wear etc).

A mate of mine gave me a suspension set up.sheet a while back & after going through it I found the stock set up to be almost bang on to the figures they gave so I left it ,, as you say the rear is a little harsh on the more uneven roads ,but I think to soften it too much you will suffer in other areas , I dont find a problem with the front .

thanks for the input lads, I may try the settings suggested, and when funds are available look at upgrading.

By the way it is a 2008 bike with 6000 miles on the clock, should of mentioned that in my initial post I guess!

Thanks again!

I am about the same weight. The OEM suspension is set up for about a 140 - 170 lb rider thus beyond that, we need to take steps to make it a better ride. At the very least, new springs in the forks and one on the shock.

I'd recommend getting a nice aftermarket shock built for your weight/riding style. I chose a Penske 8983 with the remote reservoir and let Traxxion Dynamics build and set it up for me. I've not had a need yet to adjust it from what they sent. Awesome piece of equipment. The rear is firmly planted even in the worst washboards.

The front, I went with 1.0 kg Racetech springs but I'm still finding the front very harsh. My opinion of these forks is not very high at all. I still need to take them down and cut more spacer off. Didn't do quite enough so I can't set the sag properly. Maybe I'll feel a lot better about them when I can set them for a softer ride.

I think my next goal would be to send them to Traxxion and let them rebuild both with the AK-20 golds where they will come back with all my settings in place.

As you can see, your forks aren't holding up just like mine. We're just some big blokes mate! :D We need more beefy forks! The rear isn't so bad but you'll never get the rebound you are looking for from the stock shock. Get a nice one of your choice from a 3rd party. You will not regret it!

Cheers dude, great info, looks like I need to locate a suspension tuner in my neck of the woods, and upgrade this beast! Got the throttle response and power delivery sorted, just managed to get a good deal on a Toby steering damper which I hope to fit tomorrow, if it wasnt for "the boss" wanting to move house and increase the financial strain I would be ordering shocks and springs as we speak! However "she" has spoken, so will get this done when funds allow and this house malarky settles! Thanks again for the advice mate it is much appreciated! :)

I had little complaints about the stock FZ1 forks. They really worked great for the bumpy street riding in the twisties with Lee@Traxxion's settings. It all boils down to how much you weigh .... They worked great for my 185 lb fully geared weight .. The forks are much better than the shock...

Last edited:
I agree with CrazyBiker that overall the forks aren't too bad. The only problem I have is with road snakes but that could be more of a tire issue.

I think the rear shock/spring may be too stiff for my 195 pound girth. It gives a rough ride on slabs. Anyone have a suggestion other than replacing it? I will probably never see a track so keep that in mind.

Each front fork leg is equipped with a spring preload adjusting bolt, the right front fork is equipped with a rebound damping force adjusting screw and left fork with a compression damping screw.
Spring preload is set via the hexagonale bolts (clockwise=increase) on both forks.
Rebound damping (right fork) (clockwise=increase) is set via the screw
Compression damping is also set via the screw

Each front fork leg is equipped with a spring preload adjusting bolt, the right front fork is equipped with a rebound damping force adjusting screw and left fork with a compression damping screw.
Spring preload is set via the hexagonale bolts (clockwise=increase) on both forks.
Rebound damping (right fork) (clockwise=increase) is set via the screw
Compression damping is also set via the screw

Bedankt DenArnold!

It seems wierd setting each fork differently though...

I think the rear shock/spring may be too stiff for my 195 pound girth. It gives a rough ride on slabs. Anyone have a suggestion other than replacing it?

Most bikes are sprung for less than our weight (170 lb max usually). Have you set your sag?

Back