One of those days....

So yesterday was the big fat ticket, today was a flat tire about 50 miles from anywhere...

I went for a ride with a couple of the guys from the other forum (Lickety Split and Jpgrfan), nice mellow ride on some country roads that I didn't know existed. We are turning down a new road and suddenly my bike feels short and didn't want to turn. Counter steer more, like PUSH the bar, and I make it around the corner. Now the swingarm feels loose. Ugh. Hit the flashers, pull over and yup, the rear tire is as flat as a pancake. The hole isn't but a gash in the center of the tread. We put a plug in it but the chuck on the pump was broken. Fortunately I have vehicle recovery through my insurance. Two and a half hours later I'm at Cycle Gear pulling the wheel. They installed a nice new Pirelli Diablo in place of the holed 2CT. Oh well... :frown:

That sucks Pete. That's my biggest fear when on the bike. Getting stuck far from home with, in my case, no roadside service. Last year I made sure to get one of those flat kits with plugs and a mini compressor. It's still unused and hopefully stays that way. Once I finally get enough ducks in a row to get the trailer, I won't worry so much as my son is driving now and could always come and get me if need be. That's two rough days in a row for you buddy. I hope the days get better for ya!

That sucks Pete. That's my biggest fear when on the bike. Getting stuck far from home with, in my case, no roadside service. Last year I made sure to get one of those flat kits with plugs and a mini compressor. It's still unused and hopefully stays that way. Once I finally get enough ducks in a row to get the trailer, I won't worry so much as my son is driving now and could always come and get me if need be. That's two rough days in a row for you buddy. I hope the days get better for ya!

Yea, I know what you mean about getting stranded. Hasn't happened to me yet, but I know you have experience with that and it sucks.

Anyone that doesn't have roadside assistance might want to look at this. It's not limited to Kawasaki bikes and for $30 a year it's worth every penny.

Had a flat a few years ago in Australia on a deserted road many miles away from help and no cellphone service. A biker happened by and he took my road side service number and called for help once he got to area where he had cell coverage. Didn't know if anyone was ever going to come until guy showed up with trailer a couple of hours later. After that I started carrying a plug kit and about a dozen CO2 cartridges. No problems since but it is always on my mind, especially as tire gets worn down, very easy to pick up a nail.

Had a flat a few years ago in Australia on a deserted road many miles away from help and no cellphone service. A biker happened by and he took my road side service number and called for help once he got to area where he had cell coverage. Didn't know if anyone was ever going to come until guy showed up with trailer a couple of hours later. After that I started carrying a plug kit and about a dozen CO2 cartridges. No problems since but it is always on my mind, especially as tire gets worn down, very easy to pick up a nail.

I priced repair kits this afternoon.

It's funny, over 30 years of riding I've never had a flat.

Now you blew it, another will happen soon :surrender:

I bought a small cheap(under 15.00) napa air compressor, cut off the cig lighter plug and install a two prong plug that will plug into your battery tender plug. Carry one on all my bikes in hopes I don't need it but did last year on the dualsports 40 miles out in the desert.

Bummer on the ticket:frown:

Murphy's Law....also some people never check the gummy plugs after several years of storing in a hot riding bag. They will eventually dry out and become brittle.

I run my portable air compressor off the trickle battery charger. If you try to operate it off another relay, it may blow the fuse.

If you almost never want to get a flat again...consider the Rhino Tire for sport-bikes!

Sounds too good to be true for $30/yr

Well I have not had the need to use their roadside assistance yet (not that I'm complaining). For me access to their hospitality tent at Americade every year is worth the $30. I get unlimited snacks and drinks for the week, plus a place to rest and stash my gear when not riding. The roadside assistance is just gravy...

p.s. and I would think that a reputable company like Kawasaki wouldn't be pulling a fast one on anybody.

Well I have not had the need to use their roadside assistance yet (not that I'm complaining). For me access to their hospitality tent at Americade every year is worth the $30. I get unlimited snacks and drinks for the week, plus a place to rest and stash my gear when not riding. The roadside assistance is just gravy...

p.s. and I would think that a reputable company like Kawasaki wouldn't be pulling a fast one on anybody.

I pay $5 ever six months for mine, not a bad deal at.

So CB, you are the most skeptical person I've ever met, did you get burned in a big way or something?

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

So yesterday was the big fat ticket, today was a flat tire about 50 miles from anywhere...

I went for a ride with a couple of the guys from the other forum (Lickety Split and Jpgrfan), nice mellow ride on some country roads that I didn't know existed. We are turning down a new road and suddenly my bike feels short and didn't want to turn. Counter steer more, like PUSH the bar, and I make it around the corner. Now the swingarm feels loose. Ugh. Hit the flashers, pull over and yup, the rear tire is as flat as a pancake. The hole isn't but a gash in the center of the tread. We put a plug in it but the chuck on the pump was broken. Fortunately I have vehicle recovery through my insurance. Two and a half hours later I'm at Cycle Gear pulling the wheel. They installed a nice new Pirelli Diablo in place of the holed 2CT. Oh well... :frown:

What did you do to deserve this? ;) I am a firm beleiver in karma. lol

So CB, you are the most skeptical person I've ever met, did you get burned in a big way or something?

Yea, I have the option of getting roadside assistance through my insurance company as well (Progressive), but I get a lot of other perks with the ROK membership. Hey now that you've used it once it has paid for itself...

So does it keep going??? Well of course it does. I rent minivan in Austin, drive to Houston with no problems. Pick up people from work from all around the world; Dubai, Canada, Switzerland, Iowa...we all get in the van to go see the Astros. Well the transmission wets the bed on the 45. We made it to the park. I drop them off and begin working with the rental company to get a replacement. It finally shows up in the 7th and the bring me an HHR. I have 6 it hold 4. I put two in a cab....

I need a beer...

So does it keep going??? Well of course it does. I rent minivan in Austin, drive to Houston with no problems. Pick up people from work from all around the world; Dubai, Canada, Switzerland, Iowa...we all get in the van to go see the Astros. Well the transmission wets the bed on the 45. We made it to the park. I drop them off and begin working with the rental company to get a replacement. It finally shows up in the 7th and the bring me an HHR. I have 6 it hold 4. I put two in a cab....

I need a beer...

Oh man that's one of those :cuss:moments for sure!!!

Well Pete, lets just say when the cost of labor are so atrocious in this country, it is hard to trust a good service being provided for cheap :D

Back