Our Michigan trip with pics...

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
First thing to mention.... I am angry! One of the media cards for the camera will not work. I've tried every known geek trick in the book to get it to read... A USB reader, the photo printer, the media center PC, my work laptop, several PC forensic programs, etc.... Not even the camera knows what it is at this point. Sadly, it held all the scenery shots! The card that works has part of the trip and some of the things was saw and did so this is what we have.

The trip was absolutely perfect! We rode almost 1630 miles without a single problem with either the FZ1 or the FZ6R. Both bike performed 100%! We had zero troubles along the route and no issues with the hotels in either direction. Customs into and out of Canada was very smooth with the exception of a long wait going into Canada on the way to MI.

Regarding customs... the Canadian side at both ends was very accommodating and rather friendly! They offered advice and directions and even pointed out places to eat, fuel up and exchange cash. I wish I could say the same for the U.S. sides... Those guys were very professional (read unfriendly) and of little help at all. As a US citizen, I didn't feel very welcomed to come back "home" to the U.S. Going into Michigan, the agent told me that I couldn't wait for my wife after I leave the gate! I explained that I had the GPS, she didn't and she had no idea where to go if not following me. He then told me I could wait "no longer than 3 minutes" ahead of a security van parked about 200 yds away on the side of the road. If he wasn't done with her inside of three minutes, I'd HAVE to move along. What I thought of saying and what I actually said (thankfully!) were two different things. I thought "I'll wait as long as it takes for you do get her through!" but I said "Yes, Sir. Thank you." and pulled ahead with zero intentions of leaving without her, which is EXACTLY what I did. So, this is my ONLY b*tch about the trip! :D

I had the GPS route us on state routes with highway and toll avoidances turned on. We travelled through central NH, central VT and into NY state where we stayed mostly on 49 and 104 through a lot of hills then rolling farm land. It was peaceful and the roads were mostly empty!

Given the range of the FZ1, we stopped if I was even near 100 miles on the tank in upstate NY because the gas stations were far and few between.

We drove to Webster and stayed there the first night. Saturday, we drove the remaining distance to MI. Canada was a fast ride! We hit the highway there and stayed on it all the way to Sarnia. We found some VERY FAST locals and kept up with them doing almost 150 km/hr. There are signs stating that 50km over the limit is $7,500 fine, 15 yrs imprisonment and roadside confiscation of your vehicle. STEEP!!! So we stayed just under THAT speed. :D

Okay... time for some pics before the story continues....

Here we are ready to roll with the bikes packed.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here are some shots along the way...

First was one taken off the cuff... camera was around my neck and I just clicked it while riding in VT.
attachment.php

We stopped for lunch in Speculator, NY and saw THIS drive by and cross the only 4-way intersection in this town. :D
attachment.php

Random shot of my wife fueling up. ;)
attachment.php

Me trying to be a bit artistic with the shot.... unsure about this one:
attachment.php

We got hungry again and stopped at this place for FRESH peaches and raspberries. We ate them all at their picnic table.
attachment.php

After a short break here....
attachment.php

We arrived in Niagara Falls and headed into Canada...
attachment.php

Us crossing the International Boundary line.
attachment.php

Wife getting impatient... it was rather warm waiting in line!
attachment.php

A peek at two countries...
attachment.php

Almost to the customs gate... couldn't resist this mirror shot!
attachment.php

And a shot of her waiting... light at the end of the tunnel as there was only one car left in front of me!
attachment.php

Anyone know who this pillared monument is in Canada just north of Niagara?
attachment.php

Finally through customs, paid the toll troll and we're ready to ramp it up!
attachment.php

What are the chances of seeing both the old and new Challenger in the SAME parking lot? Well, I DID!!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And this "Olds" beauty as well!
attachment.php

Before getting to Frankenmuth, we stopped by the famous Tony's for breakfast. Keep in mind this is only TWO breakfasts that we split between the four of us!!!

attachment.php

When in Frankenmuth, don't forget to tour the brewery and enjoy your liquid lunch! Here's Terry's, my wife's and mine. Terry's wife Evelyn doesn't drink so hail to the DD!

attachment.php

The next day, I had Terry (used to be HD only but now owns a GW) try both the FZ's out. I made sure he got the FZ1 up over 8K too! ;)
attachment.php

attachment.php

Outside of another establishment, I got my first view of a Rocket! Sweet!!!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks Billy I think it is a gonner though. These all came from the bigger Sony DSC-H9 which has never let me down. It's just a bigger camera to handle and inconvenient for cycle tours.

So, I have a cheap, compact Canon Powershot for the quick pics. That is the one that failed me. I swear I'll never buy another Canon digital again. I've owned several Sony cameras and never had a problem! Sony FTW!

Eric sorry to hear about the loss of your pictures. I guess that's one of the downfalls of electronic media. Well at least you have the great memories of the trip and those can't be erased :tup:

We also went to the Ren Faire in Michigan on Labor Day. We had a GREAT time there and I bought more leather along with yet another sword for the collection. I have pics and some short movies but don't know if those are of any interest.

Most of the trip. we relaxed, enjoyed the company and Terry and I drank a LOT of beer, never really getting drunk, just really enjoying a bunch of micro brews for the better part of the week during the afternoons and evenings. Michele enjoyed learning a lot from Evelyn who is a master gardener. She also couldn't stop visiting with their chickens... constantly feeding them about anything she could grab.

Terry is a K of C Grand Master and they have one of the best halls I've ever seen. He calls Bingo on Wed. nights. Michele went and played and hit $150 that night. :tup:

They have a large stocked pond at the house. He has bass, blue gill, albino catfish and a few large goldfish that escaped being eaten a couple years ago.

For the trip home, we shipped everything we didn't need for the two day trip in four boxes at UPS. The shopping we did in Frankenmuth was all shipped as was the Ren Faire stuff. We were left with the small red bag and our saddle bags for the ride home. Weather was damp for the trip back at times so the camera's remained stowed.

We diverted in Canada after meeting a cool guy at one of the gas stops who showed us a better scenic route to get to Niagara. He knew a lot about Yamaha bikes! He showed us a map and off we went... he was spot-on!

Digital Camera Images Recovery free download Digital camera images retrieval application rescue deleted pictures of all file formats like TIF, PNG, RIFF, GIF, AVI, JPEG, GIF, JPG, BMP etc. you can unerase digital camera images from all Windows based

I've used this program and it works great to get the photos from bad SD Cards. You may want to give it a shot. It can't hurt to try. The worst that can happen is you won't recover the files.

Well, thanks for the link! I tried and I cannot even get the card to register. I've tried it via USB, on a Sandisk USB reader, in the slot on the media center PC, the HP Photo printer slot and the built-in slot on my work laptop. ARGH!!! "It's dead Jim!"

So, I even put it back in the camera and hit the menu item to format it. Nothing... gonzo! Oh well!

I appreciate you looking and linking though. I'm saving that for future reference even though Sony has never given me this issue.

great trip. Eric, did you by any chance post comparisons of the FZ6R to the FZ6? I am sure you must have ridden it to get a good impression. Am considering trading my FZ6 for the FZ6R for the wife. You know how it works with women and good looks ;)

great trip. Eric, did you by any chance post comparisons of the FZ6R to the FZ6? I am sure you must have ridden it to get a good impression. Am considering trading my FZ6 for the FZ6R for the wife. You know how it works with women and good looks ;)

The FZ6R was best summed up when Norm took Michele's out for a ride. He came back with a big grin and the first word out of his mouth was "refined" and what he meant was, the smooth throttle response, smoother shifting, highly flickable feel, better stock seating position (can be raised and lowered too) and how smooth the acceleration was. Of course, this is mainly due to the decreased HP over the FZ6. The bike is a total redesign. There isn't anything outside of the instrument cluster that matches the FZ6.

I've ridden it very little but what I've ridden, it was just as Norm put it. It is an excellent little touring bike for people of smaller stature, especially women. It's got the looks they like too.

Here's a funny part... While talking on the trip via Scala headsets, I pondered out loud about the possibility of replacing her engine with an actual FZ6 engine so she could have the first 92+ HP FZ6R. Her response was "You should check into that!" What a woman! :D She's a keeper!

On the ride back through VT, we hit 132, a very twisty road and her first real open trial on a carver. I pushed the FZ1 a bit but I didn't want to dust her. To my surprise, every time I cleared a corner and looked in the mirror, she was not very far behind! :tup: I let her know that I was VERY impressed with her new-found skills and how much she'd improved.

I think your wife would really like the bike. How's her reach on the FZ6? What's her inseam?

I did put 1" bar risers on her R though so she could sit up just a little bit more and she like the change. Next is a Spencer seat mod and a new 30mm shorter rear spring plus drop the triples on the forks 20mm. She needs just a bit more clearance with a 30" inseam.

Thanks for the impression, Eric! My wife loves the FZ6R looks. Does it really have more low end torque compared to the FZ6? It compromises power so should be the case no?
My wife is 5'4" and her reach on the fz6 is ok and she tip toes it. She complains that she feels less confident due to the height though.

Not really any lower end torque at all. Even a bit less, but just smoother going from start to WOT.

With the seat in the low position, she should be able to flat-foot this bike! :D Have her go sit on one and make sure they put the seat in LOW before she does. In the HIGH psotion, it will not be a whole lot different than the FZ6 is.

Back