Pyro's Twisted Texas Tour '12

A Challenge?

The only thing I would vote for is to ride 337 an additional time. That was my favorite (and most challenging IMO).

Quite honestly, I am taken a bit off guard.

Westbound RR337 has few tight curves until after the summit and they are all downhill and posted at 20MPH.

I always understood a "challenge" to be an exercise of ones skills against the extremes of the subject at hand but the curves on RR337 are posted at 20 MPH and are are blind curves. Not a challenge.

I suppose that if you enter the corners at high speed and disregard being able to see a safe distance ahead, they could be a challenge but exercising the caution of being unable to see through the corner and accepting the facts that debris may be on the road surface and oncoming traffic may be cornering wide in your lane certainly reduces the "challenge" and enhances the proper respect for sensible caution and common respect for reaching the destination intact.

Challenge is you against the elements and not how slow the road is posted. Much of the downhill portions of RR337 are posted at 20 MPH and navigable at (up to) 40 MPH but I cannot describe them as "challenging".

Sorry.

I agree. We need to come in from that side. I forgot the whole time we were there that the stretch between Leaky and Medina was the nicest.

I believe that you may find the stretch between Bandera/Topley/Utopia a finer stretch of road to Vanderpool and then on to Leakey on RR337. And you can stop at Mac & Ernies in Topley for breakfast.

Recon Viper - not sure of your purpose of posting a strangely pompous critical comment you have to apologize for, but if you'd like to join this particular ride, let me know. We're out for fun, challenging, and sight-seeing riding, camaraderie and friendship.

Do you plan to ride with us?

Quite honestly, I am taken a bit off guard.

Westbound RR337 has few tight curves until after the summit and they are all downhill and posted at 20MPH.

I always understood a "challenge" to be an exercise of ones skills against the extremes of the subject at hand but the curves on RR337 are posted at 20 MPH and are are blind curves. Not a challenge.

I suppose that if you enter the corners at high speed and disregard being able to see a safe distance ahead, they could be a challenge but exercising the caution of being unable to see through the corner and accepting the facts that debris may be on the road surface and oncoming traffic may be cornering wide in your lane certainly reduces the "challenge" and enhances the proper respect for sensible caution and common respect for reaching the destination intact.

Challenge is you against the elements and not how slow the road is posted. Much of the downhill portions of RR337 are posted at 20 MPH and navigable at (up to) 40 MPH but I cannot describe them as "challenging".

Sorry.

Don't be sorry at all. We simply disagree.
The great thing about the way we do this ride is that people can ride at their own pace..... or their own directions. Then we can meet up afterwards and have a few beers.
So do you want to come ride with us?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Recon Viper - not sure of your purpose of posting a strangely pompous critical comment you have to apologize for, but if you'd like to join this particular ride, let me know. We're out for fun, challenging, and sight-seeing riding, camaraderie and friendship.

Do you plan to ride with us?

Speaking for the pompous and critical, RR337 from Medina lays against the southern lower levels of a prominent ridge and is a "one sided view" with little in the way of curves in the road or "challenges" until after Vanderpool.

I live here and I ride here and hope that my experiences may benefit others that come here from a distance and are less informed about local details. However, I do appreciate and respect the suggestions and opinions of those of you that come to visit us from time to time.

Coming in from the Tarpley route, you are more centered in the terrain; with a view to both sides and much nicer scenery to appreciate, and have more challenging curves and corners in the stretch approaching the Vanderpool/Utopia junction. Many of the curves break over the summits of hills and the curve exit cannot be seen in advance. Challenging, it keeps you on your pegs. Traveling north from Utopia to Vanderpool is very scenic and would be missed if traveling directly from Medina to Vanderpool.

After Vanderpool, and after the summit; there are many curves requiring some effort due to the low speed limits of the curves. I do not regard that as "challenging", simply limiting. If you find your abilities "challenged" by curves posted at low speeds, you may find it "challenging". Personally, I find 20 MPH corners limiting but I am up to the challenge.

I am more than prepared to apologize for my many indiscretions but am unaware of what those many indiscretions my be, other than disagreeing with the powers that be. Are we debating semantics? Is this discussion centered upon the definition of "challenging"? What is "challenging" for one may not be "challenging" for another and "challenging" is certainly an individual assessment.

Personally, a ride with many "slow to 20 corners" is a ride requiring effort but you may wish to take another route if you find this "challenging".

President Obama tells me that he is right and I should not disagree with him. I remain uncertain as to whether offering a difference of opinion has become a crime. Does that apply here?

Please advise.

The bit between Leaky and Vanderpool is the only bit I was referring to ( I was going by memory but vanderpool is what I meant rather than MEdina.). Of all of 335, 336 and 337 that is my favorite part of the ride. It is all beautiful (except for 55). I never said it was challenging or technical. I said it was my favorite. ;) ...and I can't wait to ride it again. I am there for the scenery not pushing the limits.

Looking forward to 2012 guys.

Last edited:
Coming in from the Tarpley route, you are more centered in the terrain; with a view to both sides and much nicer scenery to appreciate, and have more challenging curves and corners in the stretch approaching the Vanderpool/Utopia junction. Many of the curves break over the summits of hills and the curve exit cannot be seen in advance. Challenging, it keeps you on your pegs. Traveling north from Utopia to Vanderpool is very scenic and would be missed if traveling directly from Medina to Vanderpool.

After Vanderpool, and after the summit; there are many curves requiring some effort due to the low speed limits of the curves.

This portion of your post is actually helpful. Thanks!

Speaking for the pompous and critical, RR337 from Medina lays against the southern lower levels of a prominent ridge and is a "one sided view" with little in the way of curves in the road or "challenges" until after Vanderpool.

I live here and I ride here and hope that my experiences may benefit others that come here from a distance and are less informed about local details. However, I do appreciate and respect the suggestions and opinions of those of you that come to visit us from time to time.

After Vanderpool, and after the summit; there are many curves requiring some effort due to the low speed limits of the curves. I do not regard that as "challenging", simply limiting. If you find your abilities "challenged" by curves posted at low speeds, you may find it "challenging". Personally, I find 20 MPH corners limiting but I am up to the challenge.

I am more than prepared to apologize for my many indiscretions but am unaware of what those many indiscretions my be, other than disagreeing with the powers that be. Are we debating semantics? Is this discussion centered upon the definition of "challenging"? What is "challenging" for one may not be "challenging" for another and "challenging" is certainly an individual assessment.

Personally, a ride with many "slow to 20 corners" is a ride requiring effort but you may wish to take another route if you find this "challenging".

President Obama tells me that he is right and I should not disagree with him. I remain uncertain as to whether offering a difference of opinion has become a crime. Does that apply here?

Please advise.

This is getting pretty lame.
We had a real good time last year and I think we can have even more fun this year. If you would like to come - come. If you would like to argue about which roads offer more of a challenge - we usually drive them all so this is a pretty moot point.
You have been invited at least 3 times to join this ride and you have yet to answer.

Proposed route - Pyro's Twisted Texas 2012 Ride

:welcome:

This route starts from Tomball, avoids 290 as much as possible, and returns from Leakey via Fredricksburg (have to hit that Chocolate store again). :woot:

Comments are welcome as to editing the route :sport12:

Again - that's April 13-16 and we can meet up with you along the route. Friday night at Daisy Duke's for SURE! See the first post for more of the 411

Tomball - Canyon Lake - Leakey and back - Google Maps

Videos from last year

http://youtu.be/_GiItuJQSmc

http://youtu.be/AHNGZ4mp-Yg

Last edited:

This route starts from Tomball, avoids 290 as much as possible, and returns from Leakey via Fredricksburg (have to hit that Chocolate store again). :woot:

Again - that's April 13-16 and we can meet up with you along the route. Friday night at Daisy Duke's for SURE! See the first post for more of the 411

Videos from last year

Tx Hwy 335 Hi-Res Edited - YouTube

River Road on the Guadalupe River - YouTube

Hello Everyone,
Glad I found this thread. To begin with, I am very new here in this forum. Nevertheless, not new to riding. Been riding for almost 15 yrs now. I looked at the map and I have a suggestion. I am from Austin and am very familiar with these roads.
I see that you guys plan on taking Crabapple road after Kendalia. Normally one of my fav road out there is "old San Antonio rd". The best way is to keep going in 473 until you reach sisterdale and after(473 has some nice fast sweeping corners) until it goes and intersects to old San Antonio Rd.
Mind you, old San Antonio Rd is kinda tricky yet fun stretch of rd with tight corners. Just a suggestion.

Question: I am from Austin. Incase I want to join you guys for just Sat and Sunday ride. Can I and what do I need to keep in mind? My wife would love this ride as she is very new here in the US and would love the company:)

Videos from last year

Tx Hwy 335 Hi-Res Edited - YouTube

River Road on the Guadalupe River - YouTube

I was in that chocolate store last week. :cheers:

Hello Everyone,
I looked at the map and I have a suggestion. I am from Austin and am very familiar with these roads.
I see that you guys plan on taking Crabapple road after Kendalia. Normally one of my fav road out there is "old San Antonio rd". The best way is to keep going in 473 until you reach sisterdale and after(473 has some nice fast sweeping corners) until it goes and intersects to old San Antonio Rd.
Mind you, old San Antonio Rd is kinda tricky yet fun stretch of rd with tight corners. Just a suggestion.

Question: I am from Austin. Incase I want to join you guys for just Sat and Sunday ride. Can I and what do I need to keep in mind? My wife would love this ride as she is very new here in the US and would love the company:)
No doubt. What was that super silky chocolate that Jeff got? It was form Peru right?

P.S We should swing through Austin this time. Get a picture in front of the state capitol building. There is some really good food there too! ;)

Great Ideas! I've modded the map with these in mind - Old San Antonio Rd. on the way back from the HillCountry to Canyon Lake, and Austin Monday morning on the way back to Houston. What do you think Brad?

That Peruvian Chocolate was truly an experience. The shop is known for these bit-sized liquor-filled chocolates like no other in the world. Liquid Chocolates - Quintessential Chocolate Company - Chocolat.

-----

The most important part of this ride is the "Twisted Sisters" in the far West - many of the turns are marked at 15-20 mph - and this is very serious. Double+10 will NOT end well. Leave extra space between bikes at these points.

Otherwise, the ride is scenic, we stop occasionally for pictures, guys who want to go faster now and then wait at the next turn - go at your own pace. I would bring some water, but we are good with stopping when anyone needs to.

Sunday morning is the best - we are riding early in the morning, before the mass of cruisers get there - it is an amazing ride when the roads are completely clear!

I need to know headcounts, as I will make reservations at the motel in Camp Wood for Saturday night.

Last edited:
Count me in - tentatively. My work situation is so volatile that I won't know for sure until shortly before the event.

I would like to ride in "sweep" position if possible. Old and slow, you know. I'll catch up on the straightaways.

Great Ideas! I've modded the map with these in mind - Old San Antonio Rd. on the way back from the HillCountry to Canyon Lake, and Austin Monday morning on the way back to Houston. What do you think Brad?

That Peruvian Chocolate was truly an experience. The shop is known for these bit-sized liquor-filled chocolates like no other in the world. Liquid Chocolates - Quintessential Chocolate Company - Chocolat.

-----

The most important part of this ride is the "Twisted Sisters" in the far West - many of the turns are marked at 15-20 mph - and this is very serious. Double+10 will NOT end well. Leave extra space between bikes at these points.

Otherwise, the ride is scenic, we stop occasionally for pictures, guys who want to go faster now and then wait at the next turn - go at your own pace. I would bring some water, but we are good with stopping when anyone needs to.

Sunday morning is the best - we are riding early in the morning, before the mass of cruisers get there - it is an amazing ride when the roads are completely clear!

I need to know headcounts, as I will make reservations at the motel in Camp Wood for Saturday night.

So this is for next spring April 2012? I will probably go then. In fact, I just went out and did the twisted sisters last Saturday. Great riding! I discovered them by reading on here and couldn't contain myself--being just a few hours away. So off I went! I will post pictures momentarily.

Back