Pyro's Twisted Texas Tour '12

Out here, sky is overcast but showing breaks. Quite breezy and wind is in the forecast. No sign of rain on radar and probably won't be.

Forecast for tomorrow is still isolated thunderstorms but they are emphasizing the severity less.

Jeff was nice enough to show me how doors work this morning so that I no longer needed to climb through my room window to get out. :)

My blond moment for the decade. Deadbolts work in the opposite direction in west Texas. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stayed in Camp Wood this AM as the tour route led away from my home destination.

Ugly weather and wet but changed after the front passed through. A few pics to offer and, maybe, some video later.

Click the pic for larger view.

1. Regrouping at TX 41 & FM (RR?) 35. I told them not to wait more than an hour for me to catch up but they did.

2. Still at 41 & 335.

3. Formed up at the edge of Nueces Canyon. Vertical drop to canyon floor could be 2000' feet. I figured the Aprilia should be able to jump the canyon but met resistance on that. What's with the Aprilia riders? Shouldn't they set an example?

4. More at Nueces Canyon lookout.

5. Wet Camp Wood this AM. Weather just starting to break.

6. Poor Grace, amongst the Heathens. One wore t-shirt that said "Nothing is louder". I"d certainly feel proud.

7. Grace, before adding the Roll Bag, the trash and the Tank Bag.

Video Three

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5We84avJZ0&feature=youtube_gdata]Pyro's Hill Country Tour 3 - YouTube[/ame]

Okay guys I'm spent. Your turn...

After Action Report

Pete and Randall departed from Leakey late Saturday for home destinations. Pete got stuck behind and cut off by a Z-car rally and I talked about the car "ethics" with the Leaky Bike Stop manager this morning (Sunday).

She is going to discuss it with car rally organizers.

I rode back to Camp Wood on Saturday night, had a shower, and met up with the Wolf Pack at the Camp Wood Motel. It is pleasing to the eye to see nothing but FZ1's and I had noted while riding in the pack that it is unusual to look ahead and see a field of identical tail lights.

Had a few beers, swapped stories and lied about how fast we could ride. At least I did.

Headed over to Casa Sifuentes restaurant about 7:30 this morning and I was the first customer. I asked if a mean and violent group of FZ1 riders had been in earlier and she said "no, the Pyro Tour wasn't here". When you have a reputation, it gets around,

I had coffee and ate but I thought $8 for huevos rancheros seems a bit steep for 2 huevos.

I talked to the manager, Theresa (???), and mentioned that Nora had said that Sifuentes would be open early and I wondered why they, the Pyro Tour, hadn't been in and she said that she had spoken to Nora and Nora mentioned telling the Pyro Tour that Sifuentes would be open early but Theresa said they don't' even open that early during the week. Nora knew sometime Saturday but I don't know if she passed that along.

I hope word got back to Ride Headquarters so that they didn't sit waiting for the doors to open.

I spoke to the manager, asking about the Spring Rally, and she said she also manages the local Beer Barn; which backs onto the rally campsite; and that attendance this year was a fraction of last year and that vendors had pulled down their displays and left Saturday night. That's a blessing.

It was foggy, wet and miserable in Camp Wood this AM and I contemplated staying over a day to avoid the lousy weather. There was an aggressive rainfall early but it quit when the front passed and the weather started to improve.

I started loading my bike and was amused to see a Hardly Daverman rider from an adjoining room displaying a t-shirt reading "Nothing Is Louder". Can you imagine how proud he must be? Ya got me beat!

I left Camp Wood and headed east on 337 with the roads still wet but they dried out within 10 miles. There was no traffic on the roads. Zip. Initially, it was pretty cool. I saw a thermometer in Camp Wood that showed high 50's. The temperature varied between Camp Wood and Bandera and got pretty cool sometimes but never enough to put on the wind liner under the mesh jacket.

I got into Leaky and looked for a place to have coffee but it seemed the whole town was closed and I headed back out to the Bike Stop/Bent Rim. Against my preference and better judgement.

I shared coffee with the manager and she talked about the conflicts between the various and growing car rallies and says she will discuss "road ethics" with the cage people. She is serious about it.

I had some concerns with our little speedy jaunt on TX 41 and she confirmed that the number of bikes and cars on these rural roads has attracted the attention of DPS. The 4-wheel people record their lap times and the only way to keep times down is to go as fast as you can. Evidently, speeds on TX 41 are so high that DPS is looking at it. A word to the wise.

I headed east with the road to myself and saw few bikes except for a massive Harley contingent pulled of the road so that they could discuss the terror of negotiating curves in the road. Well, yeah; I get all froze up when the road curves too!!!!

I DID get stuck between the road and a few Axis deer coming out of Leakey and had to slow down for a herd on the road near Medina. Otherwise, no critter problems.

I rode east on 337, against my better judgement, and note that I saw no Bandera Constables and no DPS but my pre-noon departure may have been earlier than the recently noted, and late in the day, commencement of speed enforcement.

Otherwise, the road was pleasant and clear with nothing to note except dodging a Bandera Sheriff Deputy crossing a double line, on a blind curve, and forcing me off the road.

I'm OK. I wonder how everyone else is doing and I hope it is same or better.

Last edited:
"If you're a rebel motorcycle 'gang,' try to at least go the speed limit you fucking pussies.

That's unfair and discriminatory.

You have no way to determine if they are Gay, Lesbian, Bi-Sexual, Gender Undecided, Cross-Gender, Animalist or just confused.

Maybe they just like riding straightahead and don't like you "straight" guys throwing 'curves" into the equation.

Think............before you ask unreasonable things from others.

I have no problem with folks enjoying their ride the way they like but for god sake let faster people pass when in the straights! Harleys kept speeding up to 100 in the straights making it not impossible but certainly not easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, got home at 7pm. 779 miles on my portion of the Pyro tour. Great fun!

And those Harleys were still too slow for some of us.....as we rolled the throttle & passed them ;)

- Frank

Last edited:
Back