Sell or Keep my Gen II?

Your red FZ! is waaayyy too purty to get rid of.

Son can bend a little/adapt and learn a little - you're still helping him, after all ... at his advanced state of age!!

It's a good plan you've come up.

:bowdown:

I never understood the idea of selling something you use and love just to put the money into savings. If / when the money is needed sell the bike. I understand that the bike will depreciate with time, but what is more enjoyable riding the bike or looking at the bank statement?

I have toyed with the idea of selling the FZ1 as I don't ride nearly as much as I would like but she doesn't eat much to keep around for when I want to put a smile on my face:D. Enjoy your toys!

So far...being a one car family is working.

Well, I sold the 95 F150. The son has the 98 Volvo(while we figure out if his 95 Accord can ever EVER pass SMOG).

I wait until 7am to leave at 35º with the sun out. I wear LOTS of layers on the freeway, then haul it home at 5pm. In a month it will be warmer at 6am.

I finally "hauled" something in the 69 El Camino, two heat lamp stands to our dentist's house for a Christmas party. :rofl: It was fun just having it out of the locked/alarmed garage. There are car shows every Friday/Sat in the Spring, so it will be out much more. If I have to use it going to Home Depot, I will.

CA could really use some rain, :surrender: but it has been good for my commute.

Just as a note - I would recommend not putting money into a paint job for the Honda - that isn't a very good investment even if you get a steal at 400 dollars or so.

I would recommend putting that money towards a newer more reliable card. Look at the 2005ish year in the 4K price range and get a VW Jetta (5sp not an auto trans) or another honda if need be.

I can't imagine what could be so difficult with getting the Accord fixed and back on the road. Get an OBDII scanner, a volt meter and Google and you're good to go. I know Cali Smog is a bit of a pain in the ass but it's just a 2.2L Accord

After he fixes it, tell him to undo all the stupid 'upgrades' and keep it stock as a poor, struggling college student should.

I can't imagine what could be so difficult with getting the Accord fixed and back on the road. Get an OBDII scanner, a volt meter and Google and you're good to go. I know Cali Smog is a bit of a pain in the ass but it's just a 2.2L Accord

After he fixes it, tell him to undo all the stupid 'upgrades' and keep it stock as a poor, struggling college student should.

Did you "upgrade" it or was it purchase like that?

I agree with the quote above, a cheap muti meter and scanner will go a long way.

The OBDII is only like 50 bucks. - You can ignore some sensor codes ;) - But wait, I guess not since you are in cali...

YES! Thanks

Your red FZ! is waaayyy too purty to get rid of.

Son can bend a little/adapt and learn a little - you're still helping him, after all ... at his advanced state of age!!

It's a good plan you've come up.

:bowdown:

He was born with some disabilities, but we have bailed him out of too many financial messes. We are learning to let him grow up. He'll get through college, just not as fast as his older sister(5 years).

OBD1 on 95 in CA

Just as a note - I would recommend not putting money into a paint job for the Honda - that isn't a very good investment even if you get a steal at 400 dollars or so.

I would recommend putting that money towards a newer more reliable card. Look at the 2005ish year in the 4K price range and get a VW Jetta (5sp not an auto trans) or another honda if need be.

A Mobile mechanic friend cleaned out three of four VERY dirty clogged EGR ports. He said we should be good to go.

28 year old college student son has only a part time job, so loaning him our 98 Volvo GLT S70 is the safest bet right now. We put a fortune in it in the last 3 years(now a 98 with $6k in new tires, suspension, heater core, ECM, compressor, CV boots, axles and turbo).

If the Accord passes SMOG he wants it back, "I can afford Volvo repairs."

17 years Surgical RN

Don't sell anything? Tell her to get a high-paying job!

She makes more than I do, even after 24 years at the State in AV Production(TV Director).

She works her but off on her feet all day, so she deserves it. Actually her GREAT ability to save $ is how "yours truly" was able to pay cash for the FZ1 and the El Camino.

A Mobile mechanic friend cleaned out three of four VERY dirty clogged EGR ports. He said we should be good to go.

28 year old college student son has only a part time job, so loaning him our 98 Volvo GLT S70 is the safest bet right now. We put a fortune in it in the last 3 years(now a 98 with $6k in new tires, suspension, heater core, ECM, compressor, CV boots, axles and turbo).

If the Accord passes SMOG he wants it back, "I can afford Volvo repairs."

Suspension - depending on what it is - isnt bad, CV boots are nothing - should be three hundred dollars to have a boot kit done.

The work to get to the turbo and the turbo itself (OEM) is where they get you - and the work to get to the heater core...

My GF bought a 2000 AUDI TT 2.0 and I replaced the turbo, transmission, intake, timing belt, head gasket (and some other gaskets on the way), both axles because I got them for 150-200 an axle...

It was a nightmare of labor to get to that damn turbo and take the timing belt off. - The shop wanted 1400 for the belt, and 2800 for the turbo.

I paid 400 for a K04-22 turbo to upgrade (had 20k miles on it), changed the barring and was good to go. Her heater core is bad. I about shit my pants when I saw the shops quote to replace it. I didn't want to get behind the firewall myself. I told her she was driving the car and just going to be cold this past winter. She is in a 2014 Jetta hybrid now because he father has spoiler her. The audi was taken on trade in for 2k. I'm a little bitter.

Anyway, once you have a car not worth much, then you may as well run it into the ground/ keep it until a dramatic repair is require IMO.

Back