Series 2 shock re-valving

ozzieboy

G'day all. I hopped into my local Bike Suspenders shop today (Race Bike Services) to ask about getting my series two shock, sorted out and made serviceable. The guy I needed to talk to wasn't there unfortunately. He was out at the track sorting out someone's suspension for them, but the guy I spoke to assures me he can, will and has done this particular shock modification.

No price yet, or components yet, but I will keep you informed. Sort of went there expecting to get told they'd need to send it away to Oodnawoopwoop, so I'm pretty stoked.

If you're thinking of getting it done you might want to pop into your local suspender joint and ask. Chances are they do it.

Spoke the right guy today, and it's a goer. He's gonna do my shock, new spring, valving, and the valve in the side for re-gassing. "Under $500" he said. "Will give you a call in a week" I said:bowdown:. Bye Bye POS shocker.:shoot:

Sounds like a very reasonable price. I'm looking forward to hearing how it comes out.

I can't wait. I'm so sick of that hunk of sh.....well that not so good rear shock...lol.

I was gonna do a track day first so I'd have a before and after for anything that I do, but I remember how annoying it was on the FZ6 to be all set up, at the track and not be able to go any faster through the corners 'cause the pegs were buried in the track...lol. Add to this that I don't think a tire would survive the full day, and I decided to do the shock first.

I agree, a good suspension makes the track much more enjoyable.

I was in a nice long sweeper a couple of days ago and in the middle of the corner was some very mild wash board. The shock got totally confused and freaked out. I was leaned over pretty good and the tire just kind of forgot what to do. It had a nice little chatter going on.

I think the shock makes a good anchor and that is about it....

I'm also thinking the fork could use some valve work too. Nothing like the shock but I think it can be refined so it reacts a little quicker to road changes.

I'm still up in the air on a shock. I found a nice townhouse that I'm trying to buy and spending $1,000 right now is probably not a good idea. If I ever get the Buell out of the shop and sell it that will change the whole story.

Let us know how it comes out Ozzie!

Well i'm glad that it isnt just my bike that does that.
Very bouncy through turns, mind you i do weigh110kg.

Emailed the local guy, Terry Hay's Shock Treatment, for a quote to upgrade mind.
Will keep you Aussies updated on the cost.

Well i'm glad that it isnt just my bike that does that.
Very bouncy through turns, mind you i do weigh110kg.

Emailed the local guy, Terry Hay's Shock Treatment, for a quote to upgrade mind.
Will keep you Aussies updated on the cost.

The stock stocker is sprung for guys that weight 85kg max. At 110kg you need a new shock, for $700-800 you can get a Penske or $900-1000 an Ohlins setup and sprung for your weight. It is your decision but spending $500 on the stock pre-historic piece of sh*t shock is false economy, if it was $1-200 i could understand you giving it a go but when a Penske is only $200 more. Think of it this way, Ohlins and Penske have very health resale values they get snapped you like hot cakes on this forum and fleebay when you part with your bike. I run an Ohlins YA906 and this is by far the best mod to be done on these bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The stock stocker is sprung for guys that weight 85kg max. At 110kg you need a new shock, for $700-800 you can get a Penske or $900-1000 an Ohlins setup and sprung for your weight. It is your decision but spending $500 on the stock pre-historic piece of sh*t shock is false economy, if it was $1-200 i could understand you giving it a go but when a Penske is only $200 more. Think of it this way, Ohlins and Penske have very health resale values they get snapped you like hot cakes on this forum and fleebay when you part with your bike. I run an Ohlins YA906 and this is by far the best mod to be done on these bikes.

I weigh 76kgs and my std shock is on the softest setting, and it still feels on the stiff side. I agree $500 is false economy. I went to seee my shock tech, he said "don't bother with the std shock, put an Ohlins in".

My Ohlins will be here sometime this week. I bought it from Hard Racing. I just checked the shipping tracking # and it is in Canada now. With exchange (very little as the Canuck buck is nearly at par with the US dollar right now), it cost me $937.00 plus shipping for a total of $1042.00 from North Carolina to Alberta. Set up for my weight (with gear) and riding style. Same shock as Buildercher. I am looking forward to the first ride!!

I got mine off hardracing.com, they are very helpful and seem to be the cheapest around. I also got some Ohlins springs and a Racetech rebound kit for the front which has transformed it 100%. I full recommend these mods the bike handles superb.

I got mine off hardracing.com, they are very helpful and seem to be the cheapest around. I also got some Ohlins springs and a Racetech rebound kit for the front which has transformed it 100%. I full recommend these mods the bike handles superb.

Hey, I know Ohlins is the best, and I've ridden a well set up Ohlins bike, and it was sweet as. However, with 180k mortgage, at 6.6 percent interest, $500 shmackeroos is all I'm willing to spend at this stage. It'll stop me trashing tires so fast, and instead of getting 1500-2500km out of a tire, I expect 3000-5000km. It the equivalent of getting 150 buck tires. $150 dollars every 6 weeks and I should be able to afford an Ohlins before too long.

In my case it's not false economy :D

I concur. Putting more than $200 on the stocker is a waste of hard earned money. Buy a used Penske for $500-600 and call it a day. It is called renting mods. Try it! I never buy new, buy used, sell them fair and square. All money back in the kitty.

I concur. Putting more than $200 on the stocker is a waste of hard earned money. Buy a used Penske for $500-600 and call it a day. It is called renting mods. Try it! I never buy new, buy used, sell them fair and square. All money back in the kitty.

Never seen a Penske shock for sale in OZ for $500. Also if I buy used, I need to make sure it's got the right spring weight and valving for me or I'm up for more dollars. Since the valve (I'm led to believe ) is a different size to every other shock on the market, I'll be waiting around for parts as well 'cause most of the local suspension mobs don't keep them.

All I need this shock to do is keep my tires from self distructing, and my pegs off the deck until I have the money to buy the good shock. Otherwise by the time I've saved enough money to buy an Ohlins (don't want Penske) I'll have spent twice as much on tires. And in the meantime, I can even go to the track without burying my pegs in the deck.

In the states, you can get stuff done for $200. Not here. Would you buy an 06 used for 10k?

I got a pair of adjustable Ottimoto rearsets, they work well for $250. I tried different pegs on the standard rearsets but they still scraped, i am hoping to get a track day in before winter hits properly here to test the rearsets out but from fast road riding they work great, i have them set-up about 10-15mm higher than stock. Good luck with the shock rebuild post some pics.

I got a pair of adjustable Ottimoto rearsets, they work well for $250. I tried different pegs on the standard rearsets but they still scraped, i am hoping to get a track day in before winter hits properly here to test the rearsets out but from fast road riding they work great, i have them set-up about 10-15mm higher than stock. Good luck with the shock rebuild post some pics.

Thanks for posting up the pics on those too. I reckon I'll get them if I can when I get my tax back (fingers crossed there's enough in the kitty...lol). They looked pretty sweet for $250

Hey, did I mention, I'm looking at going with an Ohlins spring, and internals for my shock re-build? I think I left that out somewhere. This way later on I can buy and Ohlins off of Ebay, and I'll already have the right spring for my lard @$$...lol. The guy doing the work (Tony) is from all reports an excellent setter upperer of suspenders too, so this should make a very big difference.:party0011:

In the states, you can get stuff done for $200. Not here. Would you buy an 06 used for 10k?

I couldn't find any, hence buying new. Good used deals are far and few, many times the item is worn out. And in the case of the shock, the stocker is such a POS I don't want to wait. With 23K miles mine is toast, burnt toast.

Crazy - Keep in mind that in Oz they pay about 1.5 to 2 times what we pay.

Ozzie you doing anything in the fork department? I'm thinking about Race Tech springs and valves. The front end is good, but it can be better.

I couldn't find any, hence buying new. Good used deals are far and few, many times the item is worn out. And in the case of the shock, the stocker is such a POS I don't want to wait. With 23K miles mine is toast, burnt toast.

Crazy - Keep in mind that in Oz they pay about 1.5 to 2 times what we pay.

Ozzie you doing anything in the fork department? I'm thinking about Race Tech springs and valves. The front end is good, but it can be better.

The forks are currently working very well. Power Pure worn very neatly all the way to the edge, with never a scary moment. Sure they dive a bit at first, and on the track that will show up a lot more but I don't generally go in for hard braking in the twisties. Like to leave myself some room to wriggle out of the path of certain doom. Trail braking with dopey 4WD drivers entering my lane head-on is asking for trouble...lol....Ask me how I know (RIP FZ6).

Eventually....Ohlins:bowdown:, but like you say, the stock forks aren't the disaster area the rear is so I can afford to wait it out.

Will be looking at getting Tony to set up my front as well, while I'm there, but I don't think he'll set it any better than it is now (but I sorta can't believe I nailed it 2nd go...lol).

Another good reason for holding off is the fact that I've lost 8kg/17.6lbs in the last 10 days, and am looking at going for 20kg's/44lbs.

I really want to get that 1:12 at Mallala:). Puts me less than seven seconds off the Aus superbikes, and less than 4 seconds behind the current naked bike record holder on his FZ1. Dunno if the stock FZ1 can pull it off, but I'll give it a go...lol. :D

I agree, the front end is pretty good. I do find the first part of the travel to be rather soft. I'm thinking a single rate spring would eliminate that. I also saw the Race Tech has compression damping disks. I'd like to get some feedback on that mob before I dig into the fork however.

Those lap times sound very fast. I think the shock rework will get you that much closer.

How did you lose so many Ks? That is a lot of weight for a short period of time.

Last edited:
In the front i replaced the springs with Ohlins and used the racetech gold valve- rebound kit & new oil. I found the front felt wooden standard and the rebound pathetic. The front feels good even without touching the compression, my suspension tech has spoken to the local racetech rep and they are wiling to swap the 1/2 unused rebound kit for the compression kit for free if i want, but i am happy for now to run it the way it is untill the next service. On the track the bike feels awesome and on the road it feels even better than standard. I looked at installing theTraxxion AK-20 internals but the racetech kit and Ohlins springs were 1/4 price incl shipping and i got a good deal @ hardracing.com for the whole set-up with the shock.

Back