Soft saddlebag supports

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
After getting the tires off and since the welder was out to fix the TireQwik bead breaker, I decided to give a try and making something to support the Cortech soft saddlebags that I have. Using the Bags Connection idea but without making it a quick disconnect, I came up with the following which works quite well! It is crude but with some grinding and a nice powder coating, it could be worth leaving on without sacrificing looks or performance.

Simplistic in design yet super strong and very functional. This is for my bike with the Evotech exhaust hanger. For her bike, it will be one of two options... slightly different design or replace her pillion brackets with an Evotech and make them the same way. Take a look... comments and creative criticism welcomed!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Awesome Eric! Would be cool to encorporate a strap loop in to the mount.

I can't wait to see it powder coated.

Good idea! I actually thought "simplistic" yet again. Drill a hole on the bottom rear of the steel plate to accept a carabiner that can be easily removed with the bags. :D What would you think of that?

My welds are horrible so I have to grind it down quite a bit to smooth it out first. Although, by that third-ever welding job, I thought I was doing pretty good! I need to work on the amp and feed speed to reduce splatter though. Practice, practice, practice..... :disturbed

Eric, the idea is sound and looks like they will do the job. If it was me I would find a way to connect the back part of it also for extra support. Can you weld a support that connects both pieces at the back and uses the rear fender as a mounting point?

Nice, simple and effective. What would be really neat is at the welded end of bar cut it a little shorter weld a bolt on it and drill a hole in the mounting plate. Then you could leave the plates on and remove the supports with one bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric, the idea is sound and looks like they will do the job. If it was me I would find a way to connect the back part of it also for extra support. Can you weld a support that connects both pieces at the back and uses the rear fender as a mounting point?

I could. It was actually another design idea... Picture a horseshoe shaped flat bar that mounted to the undertail using the existing tail bolts. Those come down to where these bars are and has a welded piece of rod at the end for the bags to rest on. But I see what you're saying, tie the ends of these rods to the undertail for additional support. :D

Another good idea from Johnny as well! Could be a way to do this but to stop it from rotation, it would actually have to be two bolts. Doable.

Simple weld a washer on the bolt tighten everything up in position. Drill a hole through the washer and mounting bracket, weld a small piece of round stock in the washer hole. Now you have a locator pin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought a set of cortech bags for my 09. I have a competition works f.e. and the bags hide my turn signals somewhat. I was lookin into mounting a 1 inch wide by .125 thick, about 13" long across the middle with a 2" 90 degree bend leg at each end and mount it to the bottom two holes of my of my license plate.Just enough to keep them off my blinkers. Your setup looks like a good one.

I really like this idea. My bike came with some soft bags, and the bag that sits on the exhaust side is sorta melted from resting on the pipe. Something like this could help keep the bag up and off the pipe if I ever wanted to use them.

Back