Staying warm come winter?

Well, it was 38 degrees tonight on the ride home. The only things that bothered me are my hands because my current gloves are terrible and the visor fogging from breathing which I intend to fix with a pinlock visor. I think if I can get the visor and heated gloves, I'd be riding into Dec provided snow did not come. However, without spending money, tonight is about my limit. I may have to put the girl on the heart monitor.... :(

I have the Gerbing heated jacket and gloves. They'll keep me warm with the temps below freezing. I'll ride during the winter if there's no snow, ice, or salt on the roads.

It's worth noting that if you are using a heated vest at highway speeds, it's worth it to throw a wind-breaker over top your jacket as the cold & wind will sap all the heat away from the vest.

The only thing that ever bothers me is my neck when it gets 35 and below. I just ordered this balaclava to help remedy that last remaining problem.

4497d1288744784-staying-warm-come-winter-2010-klim-balaclava-black.jpg

Last edited:
It's worth noting that if you are using a heated vest at highway speeds, it's worth it to throw a wind-breaker over top your jacket as the cold & wind will sap all the heat away from the vest.

That's very true. I wear a thick leather jacket over the heated jacket.

Its all about personnel comfort

Yup - got to keep the employees happy! LOL!

j/k Chris, had to have fun with that! :)

Extremities are critical - feet and hands, but I haven't ridden in cold enough weather to have heated equipment yet (40's). My insulated wind-proof gloves did a great job last year, as did my mesh/synthetics with the liners installed and balaklava.

If it was teens to 20's I'd probably buy electric vest, gloves, socks (if possible). Hmm - anyone make an electric balaklava??)

Initially I had bought a firstgear one peice suit which was on sale. This is good for temperatures from upper 30s to upper 50s. Above that it feels like a toaster. I think I bought it for $120 on sale a few years ago. No protection though.
Firstgear Thermo One-Piece Suit - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

I also got a leather winter riding glove(I think from ebay). It was thick with thermal lining and took a few weeks to get comfortable. I think the glove was less than $40. But it works and I got used to it.

These two were the cheapest solution for riding up to upper 30s.:wilynily:

Later I got a "Warm and safe" (Google it for the website) liner and glove. These had very great reviews in another forum and there was some discount too. I have been using both my gloves and vest on my FZ1 and they are very comfortable and toasty. The whole set along with the heat trollers etc would cost you in the upwards of 400+ dollars. This is a good investment if you like riding in the winter maybe even upto teen temperatures.
Warm & Safe Heated Clothing and the Heat-troller for the Real Thing!:cowboy:

For my lower body, I just wear thermals or a sweatpant under my regular pants and then my Joe rocket textile pants.

Unfortunately in my area with the temps, snow, black ice and bone chilling wind gusts in winter, the riding time is greatly reduced.

For all of this a 'balaclava" like the one pictured in this page is a MUST. You would get it in any motorcycle online store or on fleabay. It may take some time getting used to, but it saves your neck, nose and face from cold burns. Make the ride comfortable too.

Wearing too many layers is just uncomfortable.

My Joe Rocket textile jacket(with fleece liner) and pants are my favorite from ~50F to ~75F. Above that is the mesh jacket.

Back