Staying warm come winter?

Eric Lawson

Most recently the temps have remained in the 80s during the days and into the 60s at night with recent tornado outbreaks. That being said im already looking toward winter and was wondering how you northern most riders cope with low temps? Here in Alabama our winters are somewhat mild but i generally dont ride when things drop into the low 40s. Last year i rode when temp was about 45 and desipite my best winter gloves my hands could not withstand the cold, i cant stand numb fingers! What gear is best to combat the winter months, are heated gloves worth the investment? Just looking for some good tips on how to beat the cold.:smoking:

I also live in Alabama, along the hot and humid gulf coast. I ride no matter how cold it is, even in the teens or twenties... but I have a higher cold tolerance than most southerners. I wear gauntlet gloves year round, which prevent air from going up your sleeves. On really cold days I just bundle up several layers under my riding jacket. Invest in a good leather or textile jacket (not mesh) with good insulation and wear thick pants with riding pants over them if you want. You could even Add a full fairing to help with windblast on your legs. If that is still not enough get some heated gear.

Hands and feet kept warm will do wonders for the rest of the body. Rev-It gear is about the best cold weather stuff you can buy that isn't heated. Get some warm boots and a set of Gerbing heated gloves though and you'll be toasty all over. I wear the TPG Rainier Jacket from FirstGear which is VERY warm and my mesh pants with the wind/waterproof liner in them. I'm good to 30 degrees and then it starts getting a bit uncomfortable. I really need the Rev-It gloves to set things right... and a pinlock visor!

My Rev-it Gear has been keeping me warm even though the temperatures have been very cold by your standards (29* F for my ride home). It is a two piece textile outfit with both a rain/ wind liner in both jacket and pants, as well as a thermal liner in both. With all three layers and regular clothes under it, I stay nice and warm.

I have been using snowmobile mitts that go about 8 inches up and over my jacket sleeves. They are a bit awkward but functional, and mitts are always better than gloves for keeping the hands warm. They do sell 3 finger gloves that are less cumbersome and almost as warm. Try Aerostitch's website for those. It is a good resource for this.

Good quality thermal long sleeved/ legged underware is also very effective under leathers as I found out last fall. Layering is still the key. That and preventing air flow into the neck and sleeve openings. I use turtle neck sweaters to help keep air getting down the jacket, and sucking out precious heat, and gauntlet style gloves. This morning was the coldest yet so I wore a ballaklava under my helmet to keep my chin and neck warm. Any work outfitter clothing store should sell these. Don't get the itchy wool kind, but the Polyester/ microfleece kind. They still need something around your neck to cut the wind. KLIM brand, associated with Yamaha sells one, but it is very pricey. It has "windstopper" material that does a great job.

As far as the feet go; Thermal socks in proper fitting (non vented) riding boots will work into temperatures that you wouldn't dream of riding, like the one I have been riding in.

Tomorrow morning is forcast to be -5*C (22*F) so I am taking the car. We had some snow during the day today and there was some puddles on the roads that will be sheets of ice before morning. I may be a Hardy rider, but not Foolhardy. It should warm up into the 30's for next week's a.m. commutes, so I may yet ride into November.

Although the temperatures that you are talking about are warm by comparison, it is all about personal tolerances and the above advice will work regarless of the temps. A warm, comfortable rider is more aware of the job of riding, not distracted by discomfort. So stay warm and ride in good health!!:icon_beer:

Its all about personnel comfort I wear a pair of heavy gauntlet gloves to keep the wind out of my sleeves and a leather dickey wich is like a neckerchief made out of leather that was the best investment I ever made! And my old Hein Gerrick leathers with a heavy hooded sweatshirt and long johns and I'm good to about 30.

You could also try a heated vest and grips. But if its not something you don't do very often go to your local sporting goods store and buy some of those disposable hand and foot warmers they cost about 80 cents a pair and last 6-8 hrs and work absolutely great. I sit in my treestand bowhunting when its 5-10 degrees f for up to 12 hrs and stay toasty warm that's the cheapest solution and if your trunk gets cold put a pair over your kidneys and that will do wonders for bringing up your core temp

I love cold weather riding. It's really about proper base layer clothing. If it's cotton toss it out, cotton will hold body moisture whiich is a killer when it gets's cold. I use a base layer synthetic long underware called Peppers, wool or synthetic cold weather socks and a silk Baclava works wonders under a helmet.

Wind proof jacket and pants liners are a must with your riding gear to stop the cold. An old trick I learned growing up with -40 degree weather in Minnesota is to place your hand inside the jacket or pants with your mouth on the garmet and exhale a long slow breath. If you can feel the warmth of your breath don't buy it. If you feel the heat you will feel the cold.

A great place to buy cold weather gear is at a ski shop which I doubt you have so check online.

I have not used heated gloves but do have heated grips on my FJR, which are great but I also have V Strom handguards which stop the cold wind on your hands. With the hand guards I use the heated grips about half as much. I also have a heated vest but I'm not sure you could run both grips and vest on the FZ1 due to it's smaller output stator.

I am going to get the Barkbusters storms for the FZ, that will help a lot.

Don't think all of Ca is sun and beaches, I rode over 6'400 feet on Monday with snow slush on the road and temps down to 31 at 11:30 am. Damn glad I was on the FJR.

My hands being cold are my worst enemy. I layer under my leather jacket and do the best to keep my neck warm. Ive got some ski pants that are ok but bulky. Ski shops are in short supply here in Alabama and local motorcycle shops dont seem to stock much for our winters. As for feet, my boots have have always done the job with some fleece or thick wool socks. I checked out the Rev It gear and looks like some nice stuff although a bit pricey but i guess you pay for. My $50 Joe Rockett gloves have done me no favors staying warm in the past. Im looking at heated gloves but not wanting to spend more than $150. I still have concerns that heated gloves could be a bit cumbersome with wires and all but i think thats my best hope to cope with winter. I rarley ever ride below the 40s, but if i can find the right gear combo then that could change things for the better!

The Barkbuster storms would help you big time. Also Held gloves sells a silk glove liner that will help keep your hands much warmer with your regular riding gloves. It's all about the gear.

Must be nice. It was 38 today with 30+mph gusts of wind. I was frozen by the time I got on campus. I need better gloves.

I use these : Joe Rocket Rush Motorcycle Gloves :: New Enough

Default.jpg

They work like a champ.... sizing runs a bit small though.

I commute 365 here in Vancouver, BC and have accumulated the right stuff so I can stay warm and dry. At the moment, the early morning commutes are hovering around the 5c mark (41 for you guys down south) and I'm still able to brave the weather comfortably.

I always wear a basic two-piece leather suit and have a Fieldsheer one-piece rain suit for when it's raining

Under the jacket I use a basic heated vest from a local company called BlackJack which is the single most important item for me. Without the vest, my entire body is cold from head to toe so I suggest this first! The leathers keep the wind off my body and my legs are never chilly.

For boots I use some Gaerne Panorama touring boots which are waterproof and more than warm enough for me.

For my hands I bought a pair of Fieldsheer Polar gloves and have recently installed some basic grip heaters with a toggle switch. I believe the heaters I got were made for snowmobiles and they work decently for the money; although I wish I had some hand guards for the top of my hands.

It's nice to avoid bulking up with thick layers and I stay warm enough even on the highway.

The only thing I'm missing is a scarf, brrrrr

It appears that winter is nearly here in NH. The nights are getting into the 20's (F) and it is really cold in the morning and we're hearing reports of black ice now. Not good for motorcycling! We soon turn the clocks back... it is already dark when I get out of work at 6pm. Moving the clock back means a more significant temperature drop before I can leave work. I fear my riding days are extremely limited at this point. I am not happy about pulling out the Stabil and the Battery Tender Jr for her to start hibernation.

However, I have to also start working on her and tearing down so that I can clean, mod and repair for next spring. I just hate to "give in"... I'm in denial I guess.

But, with that, will come a few cool threads over the next few months... I have a lot of work to do and a lot of sharing here in the forum to try and keep us all sparked for next year. I hope you'll all follow along. :D

It appears that winter is nearly here in NH. The nights are getting into the 20's (F) and it is really cold in the morning

LOL It appears? Sheit it's down to the mid 40s here in the morning and nights and it's not a question of whether winter is approaching. IT IS. both my bike are covered up now, mainly because of expected rain for the rest of the week. However I won't be riding in mid 40s either.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL It appears? Sheit it's down to the mid 40s here in the morning and nights and it's not a question of whether winter is approaching. IT IS. both my bike are covered up now, mainly because of expected rain for the rest of the week. However I won't be riding in mid 40s either.

Once every few Fall seasons, we get lucky and can ride right through until Thanksgiving. I'll still ride at 40 degrees, but when there's warnings of black ice, all bets are off. I can't trade enjoyment for a funeral! ;) Even so, if there are good days late in the year, I will bust her out for a ride, even if there's snow so long as the roads are clear. Those are rare days though....

i cant imagine the temps some of you northern most riders embrace. I think my blood must be thinning with age cause i use to ride my Honda 150 no matter what the temp was when i was 14, but then again it couldnt achieve FZ1 speeds. I come across what looks like some good cold gear at my local Cycle Gear...i am determined not to stare at my bike all winter long!

Back