Stupid Stupid Stupid

Sevinsky

Guess that's just how I learn.
Well, I ride my bike in the winter, all the time. Turns out today wasn't the best day. Went to stop and hit a really icy patch. Bike went down on the left side. Bent the rizoma mirror I had on the handle bar, bent my shifter lever upwards a little bit, and snapped the end off my clutch lever.

Thankfully, only two small marks on my new gas tank...

Wrecking sucks

Nothing happened to me, only hit my knee off the asphalt.

Looks like I'm in the market for some new levers!

Yeah, Ice is a bitch... I was planning on getting new levers anyways and the mirrors can just be bent right back in to place, only two things worthy of nothing would be the shifter and the two spots on the tank

I ride in the winter and learned to get on the rear brake really early to get a feel of the surface before I even consider touching the front if I do at all.

Nothing scarier than a skidding front wheel :(

I ride in the winter and learned to get on the rear brake really early to get a feel of the surface before I even consider touching the front if I do at all.

Nothing scarier than a skidding front wheel :(

Very very true. The back skidding out doesn't concern me to much any more but I'll do almost anything not to lock up the front wheel.

I've rode through the winter a couple of years in a row so good for you. it's great experience I think and really sharpens up your skill level since there's so much more you have to look out for. As for going down don't be too hard on yourself. I've dropped so many bikes I've practically become an ace at repainting surfaces, bending back clutch bars, etc. It's part of the game. There's only two wheels and these bikes are way heavier than people realize. Anyone can ride a 10,000 pound 4 wheeler but it takes some guts to get on a bike.

Very very true. The back skidding out doesn't concern me to much any more but I'll do almost anything not to lock up the front wheel.

I've rode through the winter a couple of years in a row so good for you. it's great experience I think and really sharpens up your skill level since there's so much more you have to look out for. As for going down don't be too hard on yourself. I've dropped so many bikes I've practically become an ace at repainting surfaces, bending back clutch bars, etc. It's part of the game. There's only two wheels and these bikes are way heavier than people realize. Anyone can ride a 10,000 pound 4 wheeler but it takes some guts to get on a bike.

Thing is, i just installed my retro body kid. Also, haha adrenaline rush I believe, but we all know this bike weighs 400+ pounds. Right when i dropped it im like "Shit..." Got back up off the ground and just lifted it straight back up no problem at all, haha like it was a cardboard box!

Yea I have dropped two bikes in the ice here in Utah. I try to ride only above 40f but you never know when trouble will come your way. Glad you are OK, I have a 1989 TW200 I will use to get around town on those iffy days at least it is lightweight and has those big fat low pressure tires.

Don't feel too bad, I dropped my KTM in the back lane last month bringing it home from the big service. It was a sheet of ice in the lane and I figured that I should be able to idle across it , the 300 ft or so the the Garage. NOPE!, front end slid out and I dropped her at nearly a stop. Had a hell of a time picking it up as it just kept sliding on the ice.

From my experience, you will feel the bike lifting session tomorrow, no matter how light it felt with the adrenalin pumping.

In 1976, I had just moved to DC and they had the coldest winter on record. I rode the bike from Falls Church into the heart of DC every day. One day I took off from a stoplight and looked down as the rear end of the bike slid gently to the forefront and I was staring at the oncoming traffic. Miraculously, I didn't drop it. But I parked it for the rest of the winter. Didn't have a garage so I parked it in the front yard. I still have pictures of the bike covered in snow. And I don't ride on ice anymore. Glad you are safe with oly minimal collateral damage.n

Sorry to hear about the fall. Ice is bad enough with 4 wheels, but just impossible on 2. I'm happy you remain uninjured. I hope that retro kit tank isn't too bad. I can't wait for spring. I may have to shoot a groundhog if it doesn't come soon. Good luck with the repairs. Hope you stay rubber side down from now on. I've been down a lot (and over the bars several times), but most of mine were on the dirt and a few on the road (mostly due to my youthful exuberance :shaking head:)

Sorry this happened to you! I can easily sympathize with you. Right after putting the full compliment of Copperdog expensive parts on mine, I hit sand in a corner then high-sided. Broke two of the CD blinker pods. :(

We can fix the bikes easily... but not the body. Glad YOU are unscathed!

Sorry this happened to you! I can easily sympathize with you. Right after putting the full compliment of Copperdog expensive parts on mine, I hit sand in a corner then high-sided. Broke two of the CD blinker pods. :(

We can fix the bikes easily... but not the body. Glad YOU are unscathed!

The lovely ease of being only 20 years old :D

Thanks for all the posts guys, I will be getting my bike from the parking lot I left it in tomorrow! I'll post some pics up once I get it back in the garage.. As I said the damage was minimal, but I'll be sure to show some pics of the tank and everything else.

Glad to hear you are ok, crashing does suck I had a rough 2011 riding season. No issues with ice because I do not like to ride in the cold. I went down twice on the track and once on the street last year all rider error from being overly agressive and could have or should have been avoided. I beat myself up a lot over the mistakes I made in all three very different situations.

This happened to me on my suzuki gs500 and I was so upset thinking like why did I even go out today...I wait for dry roads now all the time or she doesn't go out...I can't risk hurting "Kishi" lol.

Glad your ok, fix it and remember it, =O)

Back