Texas Hill Country riding 5/14

Leaving Houston Friday, three sisters loop Saturday, shorter ride on Sunday morning, and then back home.

This is The Plan - unless weather or some other problem prevents it!

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wish I could have made it Jeff. Next time! Juts can't get out of work Friday and have a ride scheduled for Saturday.

Have fun and be safe!

I was just in Austin on business yesterday and today. Looking out the window of the office all I could think about was riding through the hills.

I spent a night in front of a huge old hotel that was being renovated in downtown Austin years ago. I had a load of furniture for the Hotel. It was a couple of blocks up from the canal and all the Jazz clubs. Some strange sites down there at night, including all the bats.

Looks like this is on for this coming weekend. Pyrogenic and I will be heading out from Houston around 10:30 Friday morning. Looks to be about 750 miles total. Maybe a little more depending on how we get to Three Sisters on Saturday from Canyon Lake.

This will be my first long ride on the FZ1 and I will have a few reviews when I get back. One for my Nelson Rigg Solar Tank bag and one for my new Scorpion Burnout textile jacket.

Last edited:
Looks like this is on for this coming weekend. Pyrogenic and I will be heading out from Houston around 10:30 Friday morning. Looks to be about 750 miles total. Maybe a little more depending on how we get to Three Sisters on Saturday from Canyon Lake.

This will be my first long ride on the FZ1 and I will have a few reviews when I get back. One for my Nelson Rigg Solar Tank bag and one for my new Scorpion Burnout textile jacket.

Friday we put on around 250 miles. We made it from Houston to Canyon Lake. We went up and down river road a few times to take in the scenery both natural an bikini related. We also went on top of the dam at Canyon Lake. This morning we will head to The Three Sisters loop. Three Sisters is acclaimed to be the best, most sceenic roads for motorcycles in all of Texas.

We will post some photos when we get back.

Friday we put on around 250 miles. We made it from Houston to Canyon Lake. We went up and down river road a few times to take in the scenery both natural an bikini related. We also went on top of the dam at Canyon Lake. This morning we will head to The Three Sisters loop. Three Sisters is acclaimed to be the best, most sceenic roads for motorcycles in all of Texas.

Have a safe trip Brad and enjoy yourselves!

Have fun and be safe, look out for large packs of FAGs! Also be sure to ride Hwy 16 towards Kerrville.

I was up there last weekend, had a blast. I'll try to get some of my GoPro posted this weekend.

373 miles in today. Three sisters were amazing. I literally feel privledged to have ridden there. Jeff has been a great host at his family lake house. Tomorrow morning Jeff and I head back to Houston at 7:00 am sharp.

Pretty fun huh? Did you catch air on the whoops?

Nope no air. Jeff and I were pretty tame being our first time out there. We were doing most of the turns just under double the speed for the turns. Well except for those 10 - 15 mph turns that all seem to be blind. We took those at speed for the most part. In the straights were probably 25 over. Not terribly fast but a heck of a lot faster than all the cruisers out there. Most of them were very nice and let us pass.

I'm glad you guys are home safe and sound and I hope you had a great ride. Any video by chance?????

Unfortunately not. I forgot to pack my mount. I am willing to bet that Hellgate's will be much more entertaining anyway. Next time I go I will bring what I need to mount my tank bag on the tail and actually use my camera mount. The Sony takes very nice HD video.

Brad's Hill Country Trip Photos

DAY 1 - 250 Miles

My baby saddled up and ready to head out Friday morning.
01.jpg

First stop for gas and photo op for Jeff and my Bike. Bastrop, TX. more than half way to our destination for Friday.
02.jpg

Finally arrived at Jeff's family lake house. Nice to have a bit of shade after that 250 mile ride. Got the bags in the house and headed right back out. Need to let the A/C cool the place off for a while.
03.jpg

Here is one more shot of that nice lake house.
04.jpg

Here is Jeff somewhere off of River Road. River road runs along side the Guadalupe river between Canyon Lake and New Braunsfels.
05.jpg

My '09 in front of the Guadalupe river at Crossing #1.
06.jpg

Me behind Jeff's and my bike in front of the Guadalupe.
07.jpg

My '09 at the top of the Canyon Lake dam with typical hill country landscape in the background.
08.jpg

Our fine dining for Friday night at Daisy Dukes. Trust me... there is a reason why it is named Daisy Dukes.
09.jpg

Jeff's buddy Peter showed up while were at diner. he trailered his harley from Dallas. His Harley is a beautiful Deuce.
10.jpg

DAY 2 - 370 miles

Already 70 miles in to our Saturday ride we stop just outside of bandera for a country kitchen breakfast. $3.99 for 2 eggs, sausage, toast and grits. Can't beat that!
11.jpg

There was a professional father/son photography team stationed on the first leg (337) of Three Sisters. I downloaded this shot from them today for $7. It is the only action shot I have for the day.
12.jpg

NExt up we see camels on 335, the 2nd leg of three sisters. You know we HAVE TO take photos of camels in Texas.
13.jpg

...this one posed for me...
14.jpg

Lunch at a hole in the wall dive, Garven Store. I tell you what though, that little shack had the best dang BBQ sandwich. Ever see Texas Chainsaw Massacre?
15.jpg

One of our few stops atop a scenic overlook on the 3rd leg (336) of the Three Sisters. The photos really do not do it justice.
16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Day 3 - 216 Miles Back to H-Town

Woke up early Sunday morning to make the trek back to Houston. There were tons of deer around the lake house. And not shy at all.
19.jpg

Last edited:
Back