The dragon

fazertazer1

So almost at the last minute I've decides to go to deals gap. One on the motorcycle clubs I ride with are going. There's going to be 6 of us. Going may 2nd through may 7th.

Who has been there? I'm pretty Damn excited and would like your guys input on it.

Thanks.

Its better during the week than weekend due to traffic and LEO's. In addition there are MANY other great roads I like better in the same area. Check out the Cherohola...a personal favorite.

I've been. I had a whole nice post typed up, but hit some key and 'poofed' it all - I don't feel like typing it all up again, so here's the brief of it ...

The Dragon it tight, stay on your P's and Q's - if you ride defensively, you'll be fine. You never know what will be around the next corner.

Many of the surrounding roads are more open and can be ridden at a faster clip and with more confidence because you can actually see what's coming next. Ride some of those while you are there too.

Prepare for rain - You WILL get some, if you stay any longer than a couple of days.

Fontana Village is a nice place to stay, both the Village proper - either in the Lodge or the Cabins, or at the campground. There is only one shower each for male and female campers, so if the campground is booked to capacity, be aware that you may have to wait for the restroom/shower facilities. (It was nearly empty last time I was there and I had no issues with waiting on those facilities.)

Eat at least one Pulled Pork sandwich while you are there. Notorious PIG is a good place to get that done at.

Have fun, ride safe, take lots of pictures and video ... and Share!

I'm also planning on hitting Deals Gap this summer. I have paid sabbatical from work this summer from July 16th to September 21st... My plan is to trailer my bike from Arizona to Ohio to spend the summer w/my brother and his family. They ALL ride! His wife, son, son-in-law..(Daughter is pregnant/due about then so she'll be sitting it out)

Anyway, I'm not sure how many of them will be going with me...if any of them...but I plan on taking a week of my time there and heading to Deals Gap. It looks like it's about a 7hr ride from his house. I figure I'll ride down there and stay the night somewhere close. Get up EARLY and ride before all the yahoos get out there. I don't need to go fast, I just want to enjoy the ride at my own pace...and not have to wait for some Chrome Cowboy who's worried about scraping his floorboards... (I hope that doesn't create a stir...)

Looking for recommendations on places to stay. A buddy of mine said to make sure to see the Motorcycle Museum in Maggie Valley. He said he planned on being there an hour or so... He was there from 9 till 2pm! He loved it.

Still working out the details on exactly when/where. Once I do, I'll be sure to post it so anyone that is local or that will be there a similar times can maybe meet up!

Cheers,
John

I've never stayed there, but the rooms at the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort have always been described as being both clean and spartan.

We are also trailering there from Grand Rapids michigan. One of the guys that are going went out and bought a brand new enclosed trailer that fits 9 bikes. He's crazy. Not sure where we are staying yet. Someone already has everything all planned and figured out. Can't wait.

Heading down from Dearborn, MI for a week at the end of June. Two days of Cornerspin training followed by lots of miles on the twisties! Can't wait!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

I've never stayed there, but the rooms at the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort have always been described as being both clean and spartan.

I would say that is accurate.

You could also stay in Robbinsville which is a short 20-30 minute ride from the Dragon and you have restaurants, grocery, etc all there. One of my favorite rides is from Robbinsville up 129 to the Dragon. I tend to stay here when in town:

Phillips Motel, Robbinsville, NC 828-479-3370

If you have any bike issues Wheelers (bike shop) is right there between the Dragon and Robbinsville too. He's bailed me out of a broken off spark plug before and mounted tires.

Good thing for me is that I can be at the Dragon in about 2.5 hours ride from my house! :D

I'll 2nd the Two Wheel Inn. They cater to motorcyclists heavily. They also have a big garage and lots of tools in case you need to repair your bike but Wheeler's Garage is THE guy to get you out of a jam... he can fab anything on the spot.

Mid-week is choice and least busy. What makes the Dragon so popular is not onlt because it is highly technical but there are no driveways and no concerns of cars pulling out in front of you. BUT, it doesn't mean you won't meet a car of bike in your lane along the way.

Lots of awesome roads to travel there. If you do the Cherohala Skyway (which is a great high-speed run with long sweepers) please be VERY careful of the big diminishing radius corner. A lot have crashed, lost limbs and lost lives on that one corner. Find it and get to know it before speeding through it.

Rt 28 is one of my favorites... very technical but you need to be aware of residents there.

I'd recommend going slower through any of it the first time and work on a faster run later. Gives you a chance to look for the LEOs first. ;)

Have an AWESOME and SAFE trip!

I'll 2nd the Two Wheel Inn. They cater to motorcyclists heavily. They also have a big garage and lots of tools in case you need to repair your bike but Wheeler's Garage is THE guy to get you out of a jam... he can fab anything on the spot.

Mid-week is choice and least busy. What makes the Dragon so popular is not onlt because it is highly technical but there are no driveways and no concerns of cars pulling out in front of you. BUT, it doesn't mean you won't meet a car of bike in your lane along the way.

Lots of awesome roads to travel there. If you do the Cherohala Skyway (which is a great high-speed run with long sweepers) please be VERY careful of the big diminishing radius corner. A lot have crashed, lost limbs and lost lives on that one corner. Find it and get to know it before speeding through it.

Rt 28 is one of my favorites... very technical but you need to be aware of residents there.

I'd recommend going slower through any of it the first time and work on a faster run later. Gives you a chance to look for the LEOs first. ;)

Have an AWESOME and SAFE trip!

thus might sound dumb but what is an LEO?

As someone who live close to the Gap for 4 years... there are many better roads in western NC/eastern TN. I went to the Gap twice in 4 years, and I'll never go again. Too many cops, too many people in general, especially too many guys on Harleys doing 15-20mph.

Go to Mountain City TN, hit 421.... 489 curves in a 12 mile radius, and you might not see another car all day.... hit 181 from Jonas Ridge NC to Morganton NC, 120+mph sweepers..... 221 from Blowing Rock to Jonas Ridge... tight, technical, and fun. .... anything around "Little Switzerland" NC....

Hate to pee on the parade for all of the out of towners, but the the Gap is a tourist attraction and nothing more.

We are going to be there for a week so I would imagine we will ride more than just the 11 mile stretch of 129. 120+mph sweepers sounds pretty awesome.

Back