The "Halo" Thread

Call me bored but I have this entire front stock headlight unit sitting on my kitchen table for quite some time now. I decided that once I install the newly painted upper fairing, that maybe I would mess around a little. So I was in Harbor Freight a week or so ago and picked up their 1500W Heat Gun on sale for 10 bucks. It's a double heat range model and looks pretty good. So this evening I decided to take it out of the box and see if I could separate the headlight halves. I didn't want to put it in my oven which is why I picked up the heat gun instead. To make a long story short I ordered the light kit and am waiting for it to arrive. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but I'm going to do a "How To" video anyway. Once I have finished the install I will make a decision as to mount it on the bike or not. If I decide not too I'll sell the unit here on the forum. Here are a couple of pics just to wet your whistles. Videos will follow next week.

What they will look like (Only with two bulbs)
Halos.jpg

My new heat gun. This thing made short work of separating the unit. Works awesome.
IMG_0520.jpg

The reflector side already separated...
IMG_0521.jpg

The lens side separated....
IMG_0522.jpg

More to follow!!

Thanks buddy! I figure that since the tank and rear tail section of the bike will be going to repair and paint, I'll have a couple of weeks to kill getting all the other maintenance stuff done in the meantime. I think this light kit is gonna look cool. While I'm really not a big fan of L.E.D. Kits on a bike, I really like these Halo Light Kits.

Okay, I made some time to work on the installation of the kit.

You have seen the first couple of steps so I'll continue on.

The instructions call for you to drill a hole in the reflector to pass the wires through and would be siliconed later on. What they didn't think about is that the connector is so big that a 1/2" drill bit wouldn't have been big enough. I opted to find my trusty sewing needle and remove the connectors, making sure not to break the tiny metal prongs that hold the wires inside the connectors.
IMG_0555.jpg

Next I laid the bulb in place and centered it in the reflector and my needle again to make a mark where the hole needed to be drilled.
IMG_0557.jpg

I marked the spot with a sharpie and started with an 1/8" drill bit. I wanted the hole to be the smallest possible, yet still allow the wires through together.
IMG_0558.jpg

I tried the wires with the 1/8" hole but it was way too tight. I moved up to a 5/32" bit and tried again. I was able to insert one wire, and then squeeze the second through as well making a nice snug fit.
IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

Now they only gave a small packet of two-part epoxy so make sure to have both sides drilled and ready to be set in place before opening the epoxy. The "work time" is only 3 to 5 minutes, and they're not kidding! I mixed enough for glueing the bottom of the bulb to the reflector first, saving a little to do the wire side once the bulbs set in place. After 4 or 5 minutes I was able to let go of the two bulbs and concentrated on applying epoxy to the wire side. Because I kept the hole very small, the glue was able to both hold the bulb down and seal the hole up in the reflector.
IMG_0567.jpg

Here is a closeup of the top side where the wires exit through the reflector.
The hole is definitely sealed.
IMG_0569.jpg

Once the epoxy dried, the bulbs weren't going nowhere. They were in there solid so it was time to re-attach the connectors to the wire leads.
IMG_0570.jpg

It was now time to hook up the ballast and apply some voltage. Just a word of caution: please make sure to hook up the bulbs FIRST, before gluing everything down. I was fortunate that they worked because when it was all dried and I went to show my son, he asked me if I had tried the lights first before gluing them down, and of course I didn't! So here is a preliminary shot before closing the light covers again with the heat gun.
IMG_0573.jpg

Tomorrow I'll seal everything up and see if I can rig it up for the headlights to work as well. After seeing them lit, I'm really sold now and these babies will definitely be mounted on the bike. I will post a couple more shots when I have the enclosure together again. Thanks!

Okay, all thats needed is for the ballast to be wired to the headlights. Thats the route I'm taking. I'm not going to run a switch to enable/disable the halo's.

My thoughts: I heated the enclosure halves together and mounted the headlight unit into the newly painted fairing. My first impression is that these things are BRIGHT!!! I shut the lights in the livingroom and powered only the halos and it was almost like having the headlights on.

Conclusion: The kit was a quality one to say the least. Installation was pretty straight forward, and hopefully they last a long time. I give this kit a "thumbs up" for anyone that likes this sort of stuff!

Here are 4 shots of how they looked in the fairing in the dark......
IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

Wow! I totally missed this thread! Must have been the Florida Daze I wore for a couple weeks... ;) Those look awesome Billy. So, how do you know if you have the two halves sealed up water tight again? ;)

Well done!!

Wow! I totally missed this thread! Must have been the Florida Daze I wore for a couple weeks... ;) Those look awesome Billy. So, how do you know if you have the two halves sealed up water tight again? ;)

Well done!!

I actually don't know! What I did do was before putting the halves together again, I used the heat gun to form a uniform puddle of glue in the valley, all the way around the enclosure. I then used a lot of pressure for about two minutes or so to make sure that the halves were tight together. I will probably use some black silicone before final assembly to make sure that they are sealed up good. In any case I'm glad I have my other set in the garage just in case.

I installed the switch in the fairing insert just forward of my power plug. I can now switch the halo's on and off when I choose.
IMG_0699.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

Tonight I'll wire it up in preparation for the big install on Wednesday!

That switch looks factory installed. Nice job Billy :tup:

You know Tony, I'm not one to "toot" my own horn but I took it real slow with this switch and waited until I was at work to do the final filing to get the cutout perfect. I was all ready to use some two part epoxy under the lip but when I slid it down and it locked in so tight that there wasn't any room for epoxy I was so happy. Some things are better done slowly and this was one of them. I'd like to thank Dremel Tools and Forney Files for all their help! Hahaha!

Back