The most important safety device!

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
The brain! It's coming up on those days, for us who winterize the bike, when we start monitoring the weather to see when we can jump on the bike for that one good day's ride! It's time to think about some things safety-wise with the device between your ears. :disturbed

This time of year presents a lot of dangers on the road for us, more than actual Spring and the real bike season. I'm constantly watching the forcast, waiting for that degree day when I can unplug the Battery Tender and head out in the morning for the first ride of the year!!!

But think before you ride.... here's some reasons to use the noggin!

Tire pressure - dramatic daily changes in temps mean unstable tire pressures. Have them filled with nitrogen to reduce the sway in pressures based on temps. Check them OFTEN!!!

Sand and gravel - lots of this on the roads where snowy winters prevail and very dangerous to bikes!

Salt - while not dangerous, it is cancer for your bike. Salt will corrode aluminum in a hurry. Any aluminum part on your bike that doesn't have a coating or a chipped coating will suffer damage very fast.

Cagers - People see snow on the ground. The last thing they expect to see is a motorcycle and they are not looking for them at all. These are dangerous times for us... those first few rides out there.

Black ice - if you happen to get stuck out there and cannot make it home until it starts getting dark out, the melt-off can turn to ice in a hurry when the sun goes down. Temps fall fast! Be careful because often, you don't know it is there until you're already on it.

Inadvertent hard rain - the ground is still frozen and can't absorb rainfall. Hard rain this time of year can wash a TON of debris into the roads. This is not the time of year to push the envelop into the corners! At the very least, scope out the road first, then go back through it at your spirited pace when the coast is deemed clear!

Hope these tips help you. I'm not trying to scare you, just make you more aware. I want you all around for many years of riding! :Rockon:

Last edited:
Hey Eric, have you any ideas on where someone might go about finding a place that can fill your tires with Nitrogen? I've always wanted to use it but wouldn't know the first place to look. Thanks!;)

Unsure where around you. I've heard a rumor and read online that Costco members can have it done for free (unconfirmed). Most places here charge $2 - $10 per tire (Bikes typically are under $5 each.)

Check here. At the bottom of the page is a locator by zip code. :D

Unsure where around you. I've heard a rumor and read online that Costco members can have it done for free (unconfirmed). Most places here charge $2 - $10 per tire (Bikes typically are under $5 each.)

Check here. At the bottom of the page is a locator by zip code. :D

Am I missing the link or do you mean "check here" at Costco?

Bar nut / Nutbar

The brain! It's coming up on those days, for us who winterize the bike, when we start monitoring the weather to see when we can jump on the bike for that one good day's ride! It's time to think about some things safety-wise with the device between your ears. :disturbed

:Rockon:
nut.jpg

The Nut holding the bars

Nitrogen in tires is all well and good, until the time comes when you actually do need to increase tire pressure. Then what do you do, go back to the place where you got the nitrogen originally, or just resort back to good old fashioned free air?

Nitrogen in tires is all well and good, until the time comes when you actually do need to increase tire pressure. Then what do you do, go back to the place where you got the nitrogen originally, or just resort back to good old fashioned free air?

You can top off with air when needed and then go back later for a complete drain and fill. The idea is to get as much of the dry nitrogen in there and vastly reduce the amount of oxygen. A lb or two of air will not hurt too much.

One of the best things about nitrogen is you won't need to adjust pressures much at all. :tup:

Check out the FAQ and "WHY" links on the site I just linked up above. ;)

From what I have heard, the nitrogen is more dense than air which keeps inflation levels pretty spot on if you have no leaks. In any case I think you can just add regular air if need be.

Went on my first commute to work today. Tire pressure had dropped 10 psi both front and rear. I suppose I'll need to bleed them a little as the temperature climbs through the year.

Back