The right order of doing Mods

Hi all:
I have been lurking on this forum for about 2 months now i have a 07 FZ1 and man do i love it :D but as with most every one here i too like to get the most bang for my buck
i have read up on and watched a few videos about the flies mod the cat gut the airbox mod and the exhaust and power comander instalation i would like to know how far i can go before i need to instal the power comander i think i will buy one and will instal it but all of the other mods are free so my question is this, can i do the flies, the cat gut and the airbox mod oh yeah i have installed a K&N filter already but can i do the three mods before i need a PC3 or should i hold off on them until i buy one? should i start collecting parts and do it all in one weeked after i have everything? any insight to this would be fantastic thanks

Hi all:
I have been lurking on this forum for about 2 months now i have a 07 FZ1 and man do i love it :D but as with most every one here i too like to get the most bang for my buck
i have read up on and watched a few videos about the flies mod the cat gut the airbox mod and the exhaust and power comander instalation i would like to know how far i can go before i need to instal the power comander i think i will buy one and will instal it but all of the other mods are free so my question is this, can i do the flies, the cat gut and the airbox mod oh yeah i have installed a K&N filter already but can i do the three mods before i need a PC3 or should i hold off on them until i buy one? should i start collecting parts and do it all in one weeked after i have everything? any insight to this would be fantastic thanks

Bang for the buck would be the freebies you can do on your own. Mod the airbox and flies. Descreen the stock filter and block the AIS. Then move on the the more expensive stuff later.

Well more air in, then you need more air out. I don't see the point of gutting the cat as long as you still have the stock muffler on there. There is also a cat inside of it that you can't really gut w/o ripping it apart.

Before you get to the point of needing the PC III/V you can install a slip-on exhaust and gut the cat. That will give you the best bang. After that you can mod the flies, and modify your airbox, but then a PC will be needed for best drivability. Another effective mod is a 16T front sprocket. Not free, but relatively cheap.

I would recommend the CNC Ivan's flies and a full system as opposed to just a slip on. You would be amazed at how just a little imperfection in modding the flies by hand can affect airflow in an engine.

Same as Missy... No PC and all the mods thus far. She runs very well!

I did the slip-on first (no CAT gutted), AIS blockoff shortly afterward, then the airbox and air filter, then the flies. 16T sprocket was the last mod.

I will get a PC and gut the CAT at that time.

Since I've put the cart before the horse, it will be time to get the suspension done after this.

I did it rather different than most people. Regarding making more power, just get the can exhaust of your choice, plug the AIS hose and then install a PC3. Run the free stage one smoothed map and see if you really want more power at that point. If later you want more power then all the other options are open.

On the plus side is that everything can be put back to stock if emissions testing ever get ugly.

A 15 or 16 tooth gear is also cheep and a great option.

AW

Last edited:
How about suspension?. Front fork springs & rebound kit, Ohlins or Penske rear with correct spring setup right. What you have done so far is good, add a slip-on & remove header cat and install 16t front sprocket. Food for thought

I also thought my bike ran very well with all the basic mods and no PC3. I did recently buy one and installed the smoothed stage 3 map (I have a TRC slip on not a full system). Wow, it runs even better! Throttle response and power is much smoother bottom to top and then top to bottom. Just do it.

Gutt Can

I hate to dispute what a moderator says, but you can gut the cat in the stock can. I have done it. It is a straight up pain in the keester but it can be done and it costs less than a slip on. I agree with the other posters here, more air in more air out. Depending on how big you are, suspension mods area must too. If you are anything over 175 the stock suspension needs help. The PC is about the only fuel mod you need to spend money on.

How about suspension?. Front fork springs & rebound kit, Ohlins or Penske rear with correct spring setup right. What you have done so far is good, add a slip-on & remove header cat and install 16t front sprocket. Food for thought

I agree. What's the point of more power with that crap-a$$ shock and weirdly sprung fork???

I hate to dispute what a moderator says, but you can gut the cat in the stock can. I have done it. It is a straight up pain in the keester but it can be done and it costs less than a slip on. I agree with the other posters here, more air in more air out. Depending on how big you are, suspension mods area must too. If you are anything over 175 the stock suspension needs help. The PC is about the only fuel mod you need to spend money on.

No offense taken. It's ok to disagree in a civilized way, unlike over on the "other" forum. Gutting the cat in the muffler is definitely not as easy as removing the one in the header. From the pictures that someone else had posted they had cut the muffler and then welded it back up. Maybe you just had a lot more patience ;) To me installing a slip-on accomplishes the same, plus it saves a considerable amount of weight and just looks "better".

I agree. What's the point of more power with that crap-a$$ shock and weirdly sprung fork???

Yeah, it makes you enjoy the bike more when the chassis & setup is correct. It has made me a better rider learning and knowing how to adjust the bike to make it feel and ride better. The standard shock int he FZ1 is "prehistoric" and that been nice, it belongs in a museam. The front-end is wooden with little to no rebound, also the springs are too soft if your an average sized male 85-90 kg +, compresion you can live with.

Back