Thunderace in the house!

Since Corbin no longer makes a saddle for the bike, I may need to use one of the custom seat builders out there. But first I need to spend a few hours on the bike to see if it's going to be an issue to begin with. I've only rode the bike back from the previous owners house (about 45 miles), and I had no issues what so ever with "saddle" comfort. Hopefully that will be the case when I spend the entire day on the bike. My favorite type of ride is one north of 250 miles. We've got some great riding areas west of San Antonio (we call the area the three sisters) and it's a good 250 miles just to get there. Out there and back will make a 600 mile day real quick!

The wife and I have property half way between our house here in Katy and San Antonio - we're planning to retire there next year. Once we do that we'll be quite a bit closer to the "good roads" and we can take more day trips.

Yea, the Corbin seats are very hard to find since they have been out of production for this bike for several years now.

I think you'll find that the stock foam seat is not that great on longer rides, but I'm sure a local guy can easily remedy that situation.

Christmas came early! :yes:

FedEx stopped by and delivered the powersportsplus order!

p1315839998-3.jpg

NEW OEM Side Panels and Front Cowling!

p1315834150-3.jpg

Just the sides!

p1315834218-3.jpg

Just the nose!

p1315834242-3.jpg

OEM Cowing Panel and Rear Fender!

p1315839678-3.jpg

These were all of the "uh-oh" parts. The ones that the whole project centered around. Anything else the bike needs "could" be aftermarket if necessary - but I wanted these 5 pieces to be factory originals!

I'm VERY pleased with powersportsplus - great communication and fast shipping. I will be using them for the rest of the items I need!:tup:

Christmas came early! :yes:

FedEx stopped by and delivered the powersportsplus order!

p1315839998-3.jpg

NEW OEM Side Panels and Front Cowling!

p1315834150-3.jpg

Just the sides!

p1315834218-3.jpg

Just the nose!

p1315834242-3.jpg

OEM Cowing Panel and Rear Fender!

p1315839678-3.jpg

These were all of the "uh-oh" parts. The ones that the whole project centered around. Anything else the bike needs "could" be aftermarket if necessary - but I wanted these 5 pieces to be factory originals!

I'm VERY pleased with powersportsplus - great communication and fast shipping. I will be using them for the rest of the items I need!:tup:

:wow: Thats sweet! I may have to see if they have gray side panels this coming tax time! Do you have any contact info for them?

:wow: Thats sweet! I may have to see if they have gray side panels this coming tax time! Do you have any contact info for them?
Unfortunately, the part number for the side panels is shown as PART OBSOLETE for both the Bluish White and the Black. And that's on both the left and right sides. But I'm keeping my eye out for a black set for you as I cruize the web looking for parts.

Here's the link to the page though...
http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1997/YZF1000RJ/SIDE+COVER/parts.html

Something I discovered last night while looking at a UK/Euro parts catalog - the colors the 1997 United States bikes came in were from model year 1996 in Europe. The 1997 Europe bikes were different color schemes.

Here's a link if you're searching...

Europe Yamaha Parts

When you access the year you'll find a photo of the bike in the different color combinations for each year. The catalog is a great reference, but near as I can figure you have to start over at the begining each time you want to look up a different part, as such it's kinda fustrating...

Parts is Parts...

After spending several hours compairing Yamaha part numbers for signal lights, I finally placed my light order. Along the way I uncovered some interesting details!

Seems the Thunder "CAT" (YZF600R) uses the exact same front signals as the Thunder "ACE". Now normally this wouldn't be a big deal - the two parts for the two bikes show up in the parts catalog using the same part numbers. However, there is a part called a STAY, FLASHER that you need two of (one for each side) for the front signals. I believe this is what holds the front signal light to the fairing. On the Thunder "ACE" the part is $21.97, but on the Thunder "CAT" it's only $5.95! Guess which one I ordered? The part numbers are different (off by one digit), but they attach to identical "part numbered" signal lights, they look the same, and as near as I can figure they will both do the same job.

I also decided to go with the Thunder "CAT" rear signals. They use the same mounting hardware as the longer Thunder "ACE" rear signals - but they are significantly shorter and will ride closer to the fender. Should be a more "sporty" look than the stock units. The price was basically the same, so no savings there - just a better look.

I'm stuck on the decals though. The side panel decal that is arrow shaped and fades out was available for the right side (which is GREAT beacuse my right side is pretty messed up), but wasn't available for the left. Hopefully I can score one for the left side from someones new/old stock. Doubtful - but hey, one can hope.

What I really need is a way to order parts from a Yamaha Euro catalog. If anyone has a link to a website that lets you direct order (like powersportsplus.com) using Euro part numbers I sure would appreciate your sharing. I need the following:

4VD-28391-00 Left Thunderace Decal
4VD-28392-00 Right Thunderace Decal
4SV-21781-00 Aero Super Sport Decal (need 2 of these - Part is same for both sides)

If websites I can direct order from are not available overseas, then a recommendation to a UK parts supplier would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm stuck on the decals though. The side panel decal that is arrow shaped and fades out was available for the right side (which is GREAT beacuse my right side is pretty messed up), but wasn't available for the left. Hopefully I can score one for the left side from someones new/old stock. Doubtful - but hey, one can hope.
Spoke too soon! Had to go "down under", but I just scored new/old stock out of Australia for the left side graphics. :australia:
Bit more than I would have liked to have paid, but what the hey! I got it!

Still need connections for the other parts though (see previous post).

Thanks!

Found a website in the UK that allowed me to order online (AJ Sutton) and placed my order for the "missing" decals. The two cowling panel "YZF Thunderace 1000" decals and two side panel "Aero Super Sport" decals were resonable enough at $115, but DPD shipping set me back $79! :disapproval: That's just nasty!

I have to figure the shipping price was based on the dollar value of the order (or British Pound as the case may be). There was an option to use Royal Mail at about 1/2 the price of DPD, but a quick internet search suggested that wasn't a "good" course of action.

I looked at "aftermarket" decals, but none of the ones I looked at were 100% correct. The slant was off, or the letters were smaller, or the colors were suspect... I figure if I'm in this deep another $200 isn't going to matter. These are straight from the Yamaha warehouse and should make the bike look great.

I'd still need the small DELTABOX and EXUP decals for the belly pan if I was after a perfect duplicate of the Euro version, but I think I'll go with sponsor logos instead. I can source these aftermarket and add to suit my own taste.

why not find a local graphics shop (who cuts vinyl) and see what they might be able to do?

Just throwing it out for thought.....

why not find a local graphics shop (who cuts vinyl) and see what they might be able to do?

Just throwing it out for thought.....
I really didn't have an issue with the price of the decals - just the shipping. Had I not been able to locate an online Euro supplier for the Yamaha OEM parts, then a custom set was the next step. And it still may be, I do not have a confirmation as yet that the decals are still "in stock" at the Yamaha warehouse. Until then I'll keep the "alternate" decal producers in my Favorites folder... :)

Parts is parts! FedEX came a day early and delivered all of the signals and the left side tail graphics. :Rockon:

Still waiting on the delivery of the right side graphics from "down under" and the Thunderace graphics from across the pond. Hopefully those will be here soon so I can start the rebuild process!

Spoke to the folks at AJ Sutton today - they're the UK supplier I ordered the "YZF Thunderace 1000" and "Aero Super Sport" decals from. The "Thunderace" decals were in, but the "Aero Super Sport" decals are on back-order (uh-oh; here we go again). They are going to ship the "Thunderace" decals now and then follow up with the "Aero Super Sport" graphics when - and if - they arrive. I certainly will NOT hold my breath, but I'm pleased the "Thunderace" graphics are on their way. That was the decal I was most worried about. If need be, I can source the "Aero Super Sport" graphics as after market units a lot easier than the "Thunderace" decal.

Just got back from doing some site work at the vineyard and found a package on the counter from "down under". My Ausi connection came through and I now have BOTH side panel "fade" decal sets.

Plus - when the wife got home she had a USPS notice that my UK order had shipped Royal Mail (which was NOT what I paid for), and it was at "will call" at the Katy mail station. Went and picked it up and now I have the "YZF Thunderace 1000" decals for both side panels as well. The "Aero Super Sport" decals are suppose to ship out in a week or so - but I have a feeling those will never make it. They're on back-order and I have doubts Yamaha is producing them any more...

Good News! Just received an e-mail from AJ Sutton (UK Supplier for the Euro parts) and they say the order for the last two graphics shipped this morning. So - looks like I've got the last of the "missing" decals on their way! These are the "Aero Super Sport" decals that go on the rear tail section of the Euro models.
:UK flag:

So LoneStar any updates on that Thunderace?
Wow! It's been a bit hasn't it! Unfortunately, life got in the way of the project. Yes - I still have the bike, but nothing (and I do mean nothing) has been done to the bike since the last post I made over two years ago. At the time I purchased the ThunderAce we were in the process of moving to our farm and starting a vineyard AND building a winery. The good news is we succeeded on both accounts and we opened our winery in March of this year. The bad news is the winery came first and all "projects" were put on hold - especially the two wheeled kind. The ThunderAce is currently sitting in storage patiently waiting for me to find the time to complete it. Not sure when that will be, but I'll try to do a bit better at keeping the board up to date on progress.

Back