Thunderace in the house!

First order of business today was getting the bike registered in my name and the title transfered. There was a new gal at the registration office and she had all kinds of new questions for me. She sure made what should have been an easy process difficult! But, I got'r done! She's mine now.

I had a specialty plate on the ZRX that I just sold that looked cool (ZRX05). I think I'll do something similar for this bike as well. I can get a good yearly rate if I go with a plate that has 3 letters and 2 numbers (or visa versa). In Texas we also have an the ability to check to see if a number is already taken online. My first choice was ACE10, but it was taken. The second choice was 97ACE - and it's available.

Second order of business was new panels. I went ahead and placed an order for the replacement panels and the rear fender today. I didn't order the new lights yet as I'm thinking of using front signal lights on all four corners. I think the stock tail lights stick out a bit further than I want.

Congrats on registering the new ride. "97 Ace" will be a cool plate. I would have done that but in NY they'd rape me big time on a vanity plate so I just transferred the plate from my son's 07' Ninja that we sold.

You can maybe find some FZR1000 lights that will fit and the stalks are a bit shorter. I think mine are from an 87 or 89 model, I forget which.

I went with FZ1 GenII brake calipers 06 and up for the front brakes. That and the braided lines make stopping a breeze and they bolt right up with no mods.

Well, the search for parts goes on. The "updated" order status on my body panel order shows the front cowling, the inner panel, and the rear fender are all on "back order". Which is the kiss of death for a 16 year old bike, 'cause they sure as heck ain't gonna make any more... :mad:

The two side fairings are now listed as "available", so it looks good for those items.

Thanks for the link! I had found those earlier, but the difficulty in "adding the tabs" stopped me from going that route in the first place. There are so many horror stories out there about aftermarket panels that require significant labor before they can be used - I was hoping to avoid all of that. As far as cost goes - the panels are less expensive, but the labor to fit, prime, and paint will far exceed the cost of "new old stock".

I found several of the undertray/rear fenders in the UK on ebay and have already spoken to a seller about shipping costs to the US. He is suppose to get back to me with a number sometime this week.

Billy - if you can find the guy in Ohio's name and number I'd like to give him a shout. Thanks!

I also found a brand new front cowling in the UK - here again on ebay. This one is VRC7 (Vivid Red Cocktail 7) whereas my bike is VRC1 (Vivid Red Cocktail 1). Not sure there is a difference between 7 and 1, but my guess is there is. I'll have to hope the difference is either unnoticable, or just figure on repainting the red to match.

I need to get a confirmation back from powersportsplus that the items on "back order" are actually unavailable - then I can bid on the undertray and cowling. I can probably get the panel piece to work for the time being and replace it down the road if need be.

Welcome aboard... Thanks for the advice, I did sign up over at the ZRXOA forum. The Thunderace looks pretty cool I remember the one guy from New Jersey had a real nice Thunder ace....

Welcome aboard... Thanks for the advice, I did sign up over at the ZRXOA forum. The Thunderace looks pretty cool I remember the one guy from New Jersey had a real nice Thunder ace....
Great bunch of guys (and gals) over on the ZRXOA. Although they can get a bit testy at times - so make sure your flame suit is fire rated! It's "usually" in fun, but here lately I think cabin fever is setting in! :box:

Honestly though, I've seen them send cash to a member just to see him through some hard times. The one instance that comes to mind was when a member - who had lost his job earlier in the year - had a battery fail on his truck the week he was suppose to start a new job. He was asking to borrow a battery, he got enough "no strings attached" bucks to buy a new battery and take the family out to dinner.

Here's your link bud. He has quite a few items to look through so you may get lucky.

c4powersports | eBay
Thanks Billy. Went through the whole lot, but no go. I'm considering buying the other YZF1000 here in Texas, taking what I need/want, then either adding back my broken pieces and selling as a whole, or parting the bike out. I just did the math off the link you gave me and he has $977 worth of parts showing. If I get the other bike, then I'll have a lot more than he does - and then some.

HOLD THE BUS! Looks like I'm not going to need to "punt" afterall...

Just got an e-mail from powersportsplus. The original order for panels, front cowling, inner tray, and the infamous rear fender is shipping COMPLETE today!
:thewave:

I am one happy camper!

So, I went by the local Yamaha dealer today. I don't like their setup, but hey - it ain't my shop; they can do whatever they want.

At any rate, my bike only came with one key and it's pretty beat up - so I'm looking to score two blanks that I can take to the local locksmith for cutting. The parts guy goes to look up the part number and then proceeds to ask me if I have the original key. Well, of course I do - and of course it's not with me. Seems he can't find a part number (really?) and wants to go to the back and try to match a key. Otherwise he's gonna have to order the whole key assembly at $200 (really?). OK, so now I've confirmed I really don't like my local Yamaha dealer.

I go home, open up Google - and type "Yamaha 1997 YZF1000 Key Blank". I get several hits and in virtual seconds I've got the Yamaha part number for the key (which is YH35RBP in case you're interested) and a cross reference guide to every model that uses the same key (which is quite a few).

Now, since the bone head at the Yamaha dealer was on the internet checking for part numbers to begin with, you'd THINK - because he sure didn't - that he'd have the fore-thought to do the same...

Did I mention I don't like my local dealer... :banghead:

Hey, you still need a FZ1!
I like FZ1's, but they don't like me. The upright riding position - for me - is extremely uncomfortable. The FZ1 has the exact same forward lean angle (12%) as the ZRX1200R that I just sold - and I was never able to make that bike comfortable. Now the Thunderace? It's got the same basic lean angle as my earlier Hayabusa (right at 36%) and I could ride that bike for 600 + miles in a given day and never be uncomfortable in the saddle.

Most EXCELLENT! You've got the can I'm thinking of going to. I don't care for the D&D that's on mine right now; more color - it's black - than any real "sound" issue. I think the red/white bikes look better with a silver can.

Yea, I don't care for D&D cans either. IMHO they are too loud and just don't do anything for me in the looks dept. This polished aluminum w/ cf tip Yosh that's on there now looks and sounds great :)

I like FZ1's, but they don't like me. The upright riding position - for me - is extremely uncomfortable. The FZ1 has the exact same forward lean angle (12%) as the ZRX1200R that I just sold - and I was never able to make that bike comfortable. Now the Thunderace? It's got the same basic lean angle as my earlier Hayabusa (right at 36%) and I could ride that bike for 600 + miles in a given day and never be uncomfortable in the saddle.

I have to say my YZF1000 with the Corbin seat, Heli bars and Puig double bubble screen is very comfortable and offers great wind protection. It's a great sport-touring rig (that leans toward sport) and in fact in Europe where Yamaha continued to sell it along side the R1 it was the sport tourer of choice. The main issue is the slight buzzing in the bars at around 5k RPM, but that's always been an issue with the 1000cc FZR/YZF engine. Unfortuantely, that usually ends up being typical cruising RPM range on the highway. Making sure the carbs are synchronized and gel grips have help to reduce the vibes to a more acceptable level.

Back