Top Saddlery seats!

DERJ

Well, I finally got my modified seats back from Top Saddlery and I'm really impressed with the workmanship. Because of the rain, I haven't been able to try them out yet, but here are a few quick pics:

P1030363.jpg

P1030364.jpg

P1030369.jpg

P1030370.jpg

P1030365.jpg

P1030371.jpg

Here is the customer specifics I ordered:

Colors and materials
Front of seat : SEL085
Front strip : SEL003
Seats : SEL085
Strips : SEL003
Edging : SEL027
Stitching and embroiderery:
3 cm stitching line : Gold
Lettering style : Contour des lettres seulement
Thread color : Gold
Text : FZ1
Designs on seats
Designs : no
Shape, Gel®, seat heater
Shape : standard
Gel inserts : both
Seat heaters : none
Base options
Choice : I provide my base

The gold piping and stitching really turned out better than I thought... If you've been thinking out a set of their seats, go for it!

Wow that turned out great! I know Eric (FZ1inNH) really likes his and I got to briefly sit on it and it seemed very comfortable. I may have to invest in one of those one of these days because really the only complaint I have about my bike has to do with the seat. Even the Sargent one I have is not that much better than the stock one :(

Well, I finally got my modified seats back from Top Saddlery and I'm really impressed with the workmanship. Because of the rain, I haven't been able to try them out yet, but here are a few quick pics:

Could you please tell me when you ordered your seat? I placed an order with them on Aug 16th and they still haven't shipped my seat out a month later.
I emailed them and I guess they were closed for "holiday" for 2 weeks.

The screwed up part is they still plan to debit my account for not receiving my stock seats by Oct 1. You have 45 days to send them the stockers. Since they were closed for 2 weeks, I asked that they give me until Oct 15th to send them my seats, but got no reply.
They should have posted something on their website saying they would be closed for 2 weeks. Instead they let me order the seats and then don't give me a 2 weeks "grace" period to get them the stock seats.
Quite frustrating...

Could you please tell me when you ordered your seat? I placed an order with them on Aug 16th and they still haven't shipped my seat out a month later.
I emailed them and I guess they were closed for "holiday" for 2 weeks.

The screwed up part is they still plan to debit my account for not receiving my stock seats by Oct 1. You have 45 days to send them the stockers. Since they were closed for 2 weeks, I asked that they give me until Oct 15th to send them my seats, but got no reply.
They should have posted something on their website saying they would be closed for 2 weeks. Instead they let me order the seats and then don't give me a 2 weeks "grace" period to get them the stock seats.
Quite frustrating...

I ordered on 08/27/10, shipped out my stock seats on 08/29/10, and recieved the new seats today (09/17/10).
They were a little slow on email responses, but I did get a responses after about a day or two.

Ride Report

I am interested to hear your ride report on the seat. Thanks for posting up your specifications, as I have the same color bike. This might be an over the winter project.:hook2:

Oh, and the gold HEL lines look good on your bike to! You really need an FZ-1 Forum decal for that naked tool box....:innocent0002:

Last edited:
Beautiful! Can I have it? Seriously, post a "comfort" review soon. I have the Yam Gel and it's a whopping 12% increase in comfort - hopefully will break in with time. Looking for a seat that takes pressure off the meat and two veg.

You just have to watch out for the gel in the yamaha seat settling where you have the most pressure cause after about a hundred miles it feels like you are riding a frying pan.

That combo of color and materials is awesome on that bike! Excellent choices! You're going to love this seat. :Rockon:

I only have to stop because I need fuel now. :tup:

That turned out perfect in apprearence and seems very comfortable. And it combines very well with those bars and risers, Risoma right?

Rizoma standard bars but the risers were from a Suzuki GX250. They were the lowest ones I could find...

You just have to watch out for the gel in the yamaha seat settling where you have the most pressure cause after about a hundred miles it feels like you are riding a frying pan.

I've never riden on the Yamaha gel seat to compare, but I put over a hundred miles on the new seats today and felt great.

You really need an FZ-1 Forum decal for that naked tool box....:innocent0002:

Yup... I've been slacking lately, but I'll order some gear soon...

My initial report on the new seats:
After getting several hours of riding with them, the best way I can describe the seat is like a pillow of marshmallows wrapped around your butt!:cloud9:

With the combination of the non-slip material and the lower back support, I never moved around at all. No "butt burn" or anything with gel insert so far. I pretty much forgot all about my seating, which made me realize just how much I DID move around in my old seat (either to get comfortable or from sliding....)

My wife had similar comments on the rear seat - softer and absolutely no sliding around, even on hard stops or fast takeoffs. She gave it two thumbs up...:+2:

I would have been hesitant to go with the gold options you chose on your seat, but having seen pictures, I must say that it looks great. I was planning on going all black with mine, but now I am seriously considering the gold piping as an option. decisions, decisions. Luckily, I still have no cash to buy one, so I have plenty of time to decide!

Im thinking of ordering one similar to yours, since my bike is black and gold and that looks sick!

What would you think of it if you had the SEL003 on all of the seat? You have what looks like a velvet material for what you actually sit on, is the SEL003 soft? I like that its darker than the SEL085 you used for the middle sections...

Basically im thinking of doing one with SEL003 complete and just the gold strips... Would that be ok? OR would I slide all over the place on it? Whats the SEL003 compared to the stock material?

Sorry for all the questions, just would really help me decide which stuff to use!

Im thinking of ordering one similar to yours, since my bike is black and gold and that looks sick!

What would you think of it if you had the SEL003 on all of the seat? You have what looks like a velvet material for what you actually sit on, is the SEL003 soft? I like that its darker than the SEL085 you used for the middle sections...

Basically im thinking of doing one with SEL003 complete and just the gold strips... Would that be ok? OR would I slide all over the place on it? Whats the SEL003 compared to the stock material?

Sorry for all the questions, just would really help me decide which stuff to use!

I had also considered using the SEL003 at first on the bigger sections, but I'm glad I didn't - the only way I can describe it is it feels more "thick" than the stock seat covers. It's great for trim, but the SEL085 is definately more "seude" and just seems to fit better.

I would have been hesitant to go with the gold options you chose on your seat, but having seen pictures, I must say that it looks great. I was planning on going all black with mine, but now I am seriously considering the gold piping as an option. decisions, decisions. Luckily, I still have no cash to buy one, so I have plenty of time to decide!

I had doubts on the gold piping at first, too until I looked as some of their seats for Goldwings and (go figure) found an actual picture with the gold stitching and piping - that sould it for me.

I think they would sell a lot more seats if they had better pictures at there website. If it werent for the great pictures forum members have shared here, I wouldnt have a clue what these seats really look like on an FZ!

I was considering the same thing as PapaGeno21, except using the black trim portion you have on your seat for my seat surface, and using the cris cross patterned stuff for the trim (the stuff that looks kinda like carbon fiber). As long as the trim (003) isnt any more slippery than the stock material I would prefer it to the suede like texture.

I had also considered using the SEL003 at first on the bigger sections, but I'm glad I didn't - the only way I can describe it is it feels more "thick" than the stock seat covers. It's great for trim, but the SEL085 is definately more "seude" and just seems to fit better.

So compared to stock, its still harder?

With the gel insert and SEL003 on everything, how do you think it would be?

So compared to stock, its still harder?

With the gel insert and SEL003 on everything, how do you think it would be?

No, it's softer... It should be since they still use at least part the stock foam as the base and add then add to it.
I know my new seat (gel insert with SEL085/SEL003) is softer than the original and MUCH softer than Corbin.

The texture in the SEL003 feels thicker than stock, but it's a little difficult to describe. It's still flexible so I'm sure it would be fine to use all over. (I just preferred the suede feel.)

Back