Totaled fz1

Seriously though.... I am very glad you are Ok! Looking forward to seeing what you get as a replacement.

That might be the first time I saw close up pics of your FZ1. It was beautiful.

Brad

Last edited:
Joe I recently started working at a dealership. A bike that keeps staring me down and makes me question the ownership of my G2 is the new Speed Triple R. So hot and fast and..........................

Seriously though.... I am very glad you are Ok! Looking forward to seeing what you get as a replacement.

That might be the first time I saw close up pics of your FZ1. It was beautiful.

Brad
I'll post up some pics of both of the paint jobs I did later. It was different anyway. Thanks.

Joe I recently started working at a dealership. A bike that keeps staring me down and makes me question the ownership of my G2 is the new Speed Triple R. So hot and fast and..........................
I don't believe that bike is reality is that much different than a FZ1. The bad part is that it's an English Triumph. At my age -- that says it all for me. :)

The FZ1 is awesome and will rock in the twisties but it's just time for me to move on.

I do appreciate all your kind words. Everyone on the other forum is trying to convince me that I'm an idiot when -- I already know that.

I do what I do --- what else can I say??? :)

If you already know you are an idiot just ignore other people telling you that. As long as you take responsibility for your riding style, crashes and injuries just get a new ride and move on.

I do appreciate all your kind words. Everyone on the other forum is trying to convince me that I'm an idiot when -- I already know that.

I do what I do --- what else can I say??? :)

You're not an idiot, you just have a different threshold of risk tolerance. Everyone does! What strangers think is sort of pointless

Just keep riding how you want to ride! What's the point otherwise?

posted in the other forum.

Quote:

Joe, we all like to push it a little sometimes.....but this is the street were talking about. One thing to play with your own life but your also risking OTHER motorist lives !!! Think about that for a minute................................
................ did it sink in yet ???? ( I doubt it ever will )

What if your bike slammed into oncoming traffic ?? Another motorcyclist or a mother with kids in the car all dead because she crashed trying to avoid you !

You sound like you have every intention of continuing to push up to and past your limits on the street. Have the need to ride like that ? Take it to the track.
Choosing to risk your life is one thing risking OTHERS is just unbelievably selfish and irresponsible .

Consistently pushing up to and past your limits on the street is no worse than drunk driving, both show indifference to OTHER peoples safety.

I'm not expecting us all to ride like granny's and I certainly push it on a rare occasion. Anything consistently over 80% is just too risky on the street and taking risk with OTHER peoples lives.

The first person to respond to this saying..............but I ride a desolate road at a time of day with no traffic gets a bitch slap ! A public road can ALWAYS have other traffic.

Three of the fastest street riders I've ever known are dead. One managed to kill a father of 3 young children along with himself.

HOPE THIS GIVES EVERYONE SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT !

I would much rather you keep your attitude to yourself. You don't know anything about my riding style -- where I ride -- or when I push it.
I have crashed more times and in a greater variety of circumstances than you can imagine -- probably. I don't need you uninformed standard sissy crap thrown at me because you think you are helping. You're not.
You probably don't know anything about what even riding fast is all about.
I will probably get in trouble with this post but someone needs to straighten you guys out.

There are times when you can crash and absolutely not hurt anyone but yourself. In the twisties there many situations when with the extended line of vision that any good rider has --- we know when cars are coming -- help us to understand when we can be stupid.
I have crashed twice on the Dragon, both times my bike stayed in my lane and I wasn't hurt. I've totaled 4 bikes without hurting anyone but me. I have intentionally low sided my bike safely to avoid a bigger accident.
You don't know what you are talking about. Preach to someone else.

I don't ride too fast for the street but sometimes I makes mistakes. Gee --- I'm not perfect. I mentioned earlier that I had ridden 430 miles out of a 450 mile trip before this happened --- do you really think I was going the speed limit then or NOT pushing it?

There is a difference between going too fast for your ability or going too fast for a particular situation. I don't believe you even understand this.
This forum is all about being worried about becoming banned and therefore many folks don't say what they want to say. There are some of you that have followed me on the street and some of you that can keep up and some that are faster than me. I'm sure not getting a lot of input from those folks on here.
I am not expressing myself probably since I'm a little upset but the bottom line is this --- who do you think you are? Do you really think telling me to slow down is going to work? Or is it more about your desire to express your awesome rightiousness?

I just wanted to post this here since I'll probably be banned from the other forum soon. Apparently I'm not any good at communicating in the written word and there is a part of me that can't understand why someone that doesn't know me wants to give me generic advice.

I wonder if they would be singing the same stupid tune if you were some newbie on a Ninja 250 and crashed going 15 MPH?

I reckon not but they choose to ostracise you for doing the same thing (only faster). I don't understand why they are getting all bent out of shape over something they didn't even witness.

Silly

Last edited:
I wonder if they would be singing the same stupid tune if you were some newbie on a Ninja 250 and crashed going 15 MPH?

I reckon not but they choose to ostracise you for doing the same thing (only faster). I don't understand why they are getting all bent out of shape over something they didn't even witness.

Silly
Thanks a bunch. I guess I lost it over there.

Silly

The criticism is over Joe's endorsement of pushing past the limit on the street and his statements along the line of you don't learn anything if your not going past those limits.
Nothing to do with crashing or Joe's ability as a rider. 99% of the criticism
was based on concern for other motorists and leaving a little room for error on the street. Joe changed his tune a little as the thread progressed and started saying things like choosing when and where its safer to push the limit or mentioning picking corners with a good line of sight. Before his slight change of tune he sounded like a kamikaze with no regard for his safety or others.

The point just about everyone was making is the street is not the place to ride at 110%

I wouldn't mind except it's people like Joe who make all of our bike insurance expensive :(

What you do with your own bike is your own deal, but if they pay you out a dime for that bike that you willingly totalled, there ain't no justice in the world.

Reading the 2 quotes ( one is mine ) Joe posted from the other forum is pointless unless you also have all of Joe's posts preceding them that were generally irresponsibly
endorsing a pace at and above your ability on the street and even as ridiculous as controlling a crash ( you have no control once you've crashed )

He finally changed his tune a little at the end of the thread but it really just sounded like back peddling nonsense.

Joe you chose to quote me and bring this over here.

Joe - for what it's worth, I have crashed more times than I can remember (most were on dirt, but not all). It happens. I'm CERTAIN that I have learned a great deal from that. I'm still learning every day. :)

Glad you are ok buddy! Why not get a CBR1000RR next. :D That is what I will get :D

Fair enough and I don't necessarily agree with Joe's opinions either. I am pretty conservative when I ride as I know that I make mistakes when I push beyond my 70% comfort zone. I'm not all that interested in the hassle and cost that comes from a crash so I make sure I don't do anything that would cause one. I can and have improved while sticking to that rule of thumb and that works just fine for me :)

Threads like that get out of hand because it's hard to really make your point understood. Maybe Joe said some stupid stuff but he's entitled to say what he wants and ride how he wants

Last edited:
Fair enough and I don't necessarily agree with Joe's opinions either. I am pretty conservative when I ride as I know that I make mistakes when I push beyond my 70% comfort zone. I'm not all that interested in the hassle and cost that comes from a crash so I make sure I don't do anything that would cause one. I can and have improved while sticking to that rule of thumb and that works just fine for me :)

Threads like that get out of hand because it's hard to really make your point understood. Maybe Joe said some stupid stuff but he's entitled to say what he wants and ride how he wants

When I crashed, I couldn't exactly pin point the reason - my skills, bike setup, road conditions or the nature of the corner (off camber downhill left hander). But I did learn one thing as to not push beyond 70% on the street. Most people I ride with including the really fast riders think I am fast enough but they don't know I am not pushing beyond 70%. It is a matter of perception when giving opinions on others. But if someone says he deliberately pushes beyond one's limits on the street then that is plain dumbass and irresponsible.

Back