Want to buy an FZ1, is a 2006 worth it?

CBR6RRRider

Hey all,

I'm currently sitting in Korea without a motorcycle to ride, but I'll be moving back to Florida in December and I've been looking at getting a FZ1. I really want to get a 2nd gen, and I've found a few 2006's in my price range, but I'm wondering if I should get one of these or wait for a 2007+.

I have two main concerns:

Concern #1 with the 2006 is the harsher rear spring, but I'm not sure if this would be that big of an issue. I weigh about 195 with gear on, so I'm probably not on the heavy side.

Concern #2 is the throttle snatch problem. Does this go away if I get a PCIII, or do I have to do some other mod for it? If I do, is it one I would have to do on a 2007+ bike too?

I haven't really been able to ride for about 2 1/2 years so I'm stoked to get a chance to ride again and from what I've heard of the FZ1 it will be a great way to get back into it.

Hello, and Welcome! Glad to see your getting back into MCing. And what better way to do it than on an FZ.

I don't think you gonna have an issue with the rear spring on any FZ1, first or second Gen. If anything you'll need a better spring at 195 with gear. As for throttle snatch, an FCE cures that right up on 06' models. I've never ridden an 06' so couldn't even tell you what it actually feels like. I don't suspect that there would be such a big difference in price between an 06' and 07' model bike. If you are worried why not just get an 07'. I believe that the FCE is about 200 bucks so take that into consideration. Either way, remember to post some shots when you do finally get it. In the meantime, stick around, as there are many other guys here that have 06's that could give you advice on the subject.

No reason not to buy the 06 particularly for a good price. I bought mine 2 summers ago for $3400 with 12k miles and some minor cosmetic issues.

Throttle snatch is most pronounced in the early models (I own an 06) but was still painfully obvious to me on the stock 08 and 09 that I have ridden. The FCE is a $200 cure for this issue.

The spring rate on the 06s rear is too high for light to mid weight riders so it would not be ideal for your 195lbs. However, the rear shock on all the genIIs is a low quality, poor performing hunk. Upgrades range from changing the spring out ($), converting to a stock R1 unit ($) to complete replacement ($$$)

Some earlier bikes (apparently not just limited to 06s) had issues with frame cracking. Make sure to check the large welds (below the gas tank) on the down tubes on either side the bike. A cracked frame should be a deal breaker although it appears that Yamaha will replace the frame even on bikes well out of warranty and with multiple owners. Most certainly a PIA to deal with but for the right really low price??

Overall, I wanted a performance project and have spent at least as much on upgrades as the original purchase price. The project itself was enjoyable and the bike is now an amazing performer (power, power delivery, handling, comfort, utility, style) that compares well with the new offerings out there costing over $10k

Last edited:
06 for a good price is well worth it, you can always change the rear suspension and if you start doing any type of performance riding/racing you will have to change it anyways. The FCE mod is highly recommended.

good luck!

Sounds good all! So far I've found two 06's near me, one with about 1300 miles on it for $5k or another with 4,000 miles for about $5500. Both bikes are currently for sale and might not be when I get back home, but at least I know in the future that getting an 06 is okay.

Sounds good all! So far I've found two 06's near me, one with about 1300 miles on it for $5k or another with 4,000 miles for about $5500. Both bikes are currently for sale and might not be when I get back home, but at least I know in the future that getting an 06 is okay.

Both sound over priced to me. If you have a budget number then always buy the newest bike you can afford. That being said nothing wrong with buying an '06. I own one :) By the way I paid $5500 for mine back in June of '09 and it only had 3.5k miles on it along with some nice mods...

I'm thinking they are kind of high too. I'm definitely looking everywhere I can to get the best deal, and I know that I can probably talk prices down more since it's the end of the year. Heck, I might just splurge and get a brand new one for 8k. :p

Buying new from a dealer is a good bet in December. It wouldn't hurt to see if you can locate an older "still in the box" model. I was killing some time between apointments yesterday and saw that my local dealer had some brand new 09's (of various types) that looked really reasonable.

(of course, I just went out and looked at the bikes in the garage...bought in October x3 and September x1. Other two bikes were September bikes as well.)

Very true, I am so undecided right now though between the FZ1 and a Speed Triple. I was deadset on the FZ1 but I read more reviews and the Speed seems to have the 'soul' I am looking for. I found a well-priced Triple near me, but I have to wait till 11 Dec to go look at it.. :p

If I can find a brand new FZ1 for the price of a slightly used newer Triple I will have a hard time deciding which one to get.

Very true, I am so undecided right now though between the FZ1 and a Speed Triple. I was deadset on the FZ1 but I read more reviews and the Speed seems to have the 'soul' I am looking for. I found a well-priced Triple near me, but I have to wait till 11 Dec to go look at it.. :p

If I can find a brand new FZ1 for the price of a slightly used newer Triple I will have a hard time deciding which one to get.

The Speed Triple is a very nice bike and I have ridden it a couple of times. I certainly wouldn't try and talk you out of owning one. Test ride both of them if you can so that you're buying the "right" bike for you :)

Perhaps some of this may come down to: "Are you a modder or a stocker?"

I'm a modder and I personally don't get buying new for the GenII. The design is 6 years old and has plenty of potential. However, in stock form (06-11) they all suffer from poor suspension (rear in particular), abrupt fueling and weak low / mid range performance. The seat is poor as well. All this can be fixed and it is truly mind blowing how much the power output and the character of this output can be improved. Handling mods, comfort mods, utility mods, aesthetic mods make a huge difference as well. From a "modder" perspective the low buy in price for decent used bikes leaves a ton of budget for mandatory (IMHO) upgrades. A nicely upgraded GenII will compete well with the latest from Triumph and Kawi

That said, the newer FZs bikes do benefit from some refinements so if you are adverse to mods then perhaps a new(ish) bike might be the way to go. Perhaps paying less than $8k or so. Certainly a lot less than a new T or K.
From a pure sticker price comparison, the new offerings from Kawi easily outshine the newest FZs for the $.

Last edited:
Well, I'm looking to spend maybe 7 or 8 total, which means if I could find a nice low mileage FZ1 for 5-6 I could still have quite a bit to play around with for mods. Would 2k be enough to update the FZ1?

I've found a 2010 Speed Triple with 3k miles for $7500, and the guy asked me what I wanted to pay for it, so I might be able to talk him down to 7k. I haven't seen any other 2010's with that low mileage for that price so I think it's a good deal. Once I got it I'd still have to spend about 1k on mods (frame sliders, exhaust) but I think the main things (rear shock, etc) would already be good.

Well, I'm looking to spend maybe 7 or 8 total, which means if I could find a nice low mileage FZ1 for 5-6 I could still have quite a bit to play around with for mods. Would 2k be enough to update the FZ1?

Well depends what you're going to do. You could easily almost blow 2k between a good rear shock and a full exhaust...best thing to do is take your time with the mods and buy as much as you can used form eBay or the forums. There are always plenty of parts out there ;)

I have about $7.5K total into my 06. Purchase price was $3400, so that's about $4k in upgrades. See my signature for most of the stuff . . . .

There have been a few well modded GenIIs that have come up for sale recently. As a seller you will probably never get close to what you put into it. I might be lucky to get $5.5k for my bike as a package. Selling off the goodies individually recoups more. As buyer, you might be able to find an excellent deal for a well modded bike with a seller who wants to unload without the hassle of parting out the aftermarket goodies. This time of year (US anyway) is a buyers market.

The speed triple is certainly a nice bike. It is also a bit different bike than the FZ. . . .

Last edited:
I like modding, but I don't want to have to mod the whole bike to get it like I want. I have an SV650 that I've done every conceivable mod to and I think for my next bike I just want something that I can get on and ride...okay, and maybe throw a pipe on.... :p

I'm very happy with my 06. I paid $4,000 USD about 18 months ago. Mine had 22,000 miles on, runs like a new bike.

For $450 you can get the ECU reflashed and any throttle issues are resolved.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bad at all. The bike will mainly be a commuter, but I"ll be living in Central Texas so I think I might want to do some longer rides. I know the FZ1 is probably better for the longer rides, but for the 1 time a week that I might do it I don't know if it would be worth it just for that reason.

As mentioned, I really need to ride both bikes first to make an accurate decision.

S3 and FZ1S are two different bikes. It all boils down to practicality vs character and ultimately the value. If they made S3 with a 1/2 fairing then it was a different ball game. They make the sprint but IMO it is too heavy.

FZ1 when modded will whoop a S3 at lesser overall cost.

Good points. I do like the idea of finding an FZ for about 5k and then spending 3k on mods, but oh that Triple is so sexy!

Everything i've seen about the S3 screams hooligan, and as much as I love that I don't know if I need to be trying to live up to that namesake. I've got a another child on the way and that last thing I need is a ticket for popping a wheelie or throwing my rear wheel in the air (not that I regularly do those things).

Back