Well the FZ went down

Took my pops out for a ride, letting him ride my FZ and well it ended rather abruptly for both of them. He's ok, nothing broken, but a decent bruise on his hip and to his pride as well. From what I can tell at this point I'm in the market for some bars, a right rearset, wind screen, tank, possibly a rear wheel and basically every bit of plastics. I'll get some better pics later but heres what I have now.

Oh man, so sorry to hear, but glad that he is okay. Is that him in the last picture? He must feel terrible. Bikes can always be repaired for the most part. Thank God your both able to walk away from it.

Sorry about the bike man glad ur father's okay, i remember when i bought my first bike the first day i had it my father dropped it showing off he hadent been on a bike in 10 years and he didnt realize motorcycles had gotten faster in the 10 years he hadent been riding lol, anyways he felt embarresed and mierable about it i told him i was just glad he didnt get hurt and your never riding my bike agin lol

That's too bad but I am amazed these sorts of things happen. There are two things men should never do, 1) Cosign for any sort of loan for anybody or 2) let anyone ride their motorcycle unless their last name is Rossi, Doohan, Lorenzo or the like. Lesson learned.

My Dad wrote off my 1st RZ350 for me. He felt bad but insurance got me an upgrade to the improved next model. And he lived for quite a few more years after which was the main thing.

My Dad had just gotten his first new motorcycle in 1999, it was a Honda VTX 1800. He had always had used 754s before this and was really happy to have his first new bike. Well i decided in all my wisdom as a 17 year old I would ride it! I mean i ride dirt bikes so how hard could it be? Well I made it less than half a block before sideswiping a parked car and putting it down. He wasnt even mad, no lecture not even a hard time later on. He was Just happy I was okay, not because I was wearing gear, like an idiot i didnt even have gloves on. He never said a word about it just rode it with a dented tank for years. Best Dad ever! He can and does ride my bike anytime. I figure I owe him one even if somthing like this happens, its just a bike, I Only got one Dad!

I glad that he wasn't hurt seriously.

This reminds me of when I got my first motorcycle, my father looked at it and shook his head. I asked him if he wanted to try it and he told my of his first experience in Sweden on a friend's scooter. He got on, received minimum instructions from his friend and promptly proceeded to put the scooter into a fence ripping his suit pants. This was in 1947 just outside of Stockholm.

He has never ridden since which was a very good thing for the family. My brother inheirited his cycle ability and dropped two of my bikes before he said enough. He is thinking Can-Am Spyder now but his wife won't go for it.

Wow! What happened? Was he wearing any gear? Glad he is OK. Bikes are replaceable... Pop? Not so much!

May be a good time for that retro kit? I see them still on ebay for $650 shipped. That will take care of all the plastics and the tank! ;)

Wow! What happened? Was he wearing any gear? Glad he is OK. Bikes are replaceable... Pop? Not so much!

May be a good time for that retro kit? I see them still on ebay for $650 shipped. That will take care of all the plastics and the tank! ;)

$695 but still a smoking deal. Even comes with a seat cowl.

First off, glad no one was seriously injured, second, sorry about your bike.

Retro Kit was the first thing to cross my mind too! :+2:

Yea he was wearing some of my extra gear. I saw those retro kits on eBay. Has anyone tried them? Do they fit well? I know some of the kits they sell on there don't fit quite right. Took the nose apart yesterday, looks like a headlight housing is in order, and some radiator mounts.

I know the local Yamaha shop had a cobalt blue 2009 FZ1 as a trade in and it wasn't moving (due to their high price). They ended up putting a retro kit on it to help it sell and it finally did. I know they still had the blue parts from it a few months ago. I don't know what they would want for them, but I'd ask and ship them to you if you want to go that way. Let me know. There's always the chance they have sold them on ebay. I'd give you the dealerships phone number if you want to talk to them about it. I know OR is pretty far from IL, so you most likely have better options. I just wanted to offer.

I know the local Yamaha shop had a cobalt blue 2009 FZ1 as a trade in and it wasn't moving (due to their high price). They ended up putting a retro kit on it to help it sell and it finally did. I know they still had the blue parts from it a few months ago. I don't know what they would want for them, but I'd ask and ship them to you if you want to go that way. Let me know. There's always the chance they have sold them on ebay. I'd give you the dealerships phone number if you want to talk to them about it. I know OR is pretty far from IL, so you most likely have better options. I just wanted to offer.

Tank and everything? Never hurt to ask what it would be shipped to 97355. Thanks man

Tank and everything? Never hurt to ask what it would be shipped to 97355. Thanks man

I'll ask what they would want for the whole set (tank and plastics). I doubt it will include the radiator covers. I don't think the retro kit includes those. It is whatever they took off to add the retro kit. I thought about them just to have a back up set. I think the '09 and '07 blue are the same color. If you get the blue, it should make your bike a bit faster :sport12: :woot:

If it's a decent price, then I'll ask about shipping and give you their number to work out details. I'm afraid this guy will want a high price for them, but you never know. It will be a few days before I can get back to you.

Faster is always better IMHO. No rush, your help is Greatly appreciated. If total is more than the Retro kit, I may just go retro and have my buddy paint it. After disassembly yesterday, there are 3 pieces of the main body that do not need replaced, front fender, rear under tail, and left side "intake cover" or at least that's what it is called on my R1. The radiator shrouds fared ok, the right one has some scratches but no real damage, the mounts on the other hand took a beating.

I'm curious how the retro kit fits. The listing says "factory Yamaha" but I have my doubts.

Faster is always better IMHO. No rush, your help is Greatly appreciated. If total is more than the Retro kit, I may just go retro and have my buddy paint it. After disassembly yesterday, there are 3 pieces of the main body that do not need replaced, front fender, rear under tail, and left side "intake cover" or at least that's what it is called on my R1. The radiator shrouds fared ok, the right one has some scratches but no real damage, the mounts on the other hand took a beating.

I'm curious how the retro kit fits. The listing says "factory Yamaha" but I have my doubts.
They are Yamaha GTYR and are good. Look at about the last 3 months winners of Bike of the Month

Back