What Cruiser would you ride?

My 1st bike was a virago 250...

I've ridden (not owned) a few choppers including a harley in the past years but not being able to hold the bike with my legs just doesn't work out for me, i feel so not in control when i'm sitting on cruisers...

They are beutiful to look at though...

street glide! Might be to much for a lot of peoples tastes but I love big wheel street glides.

Street-Glide-Custom-26-Wheel-Stretched-Tank-Bags-Side-Covers-Raked_zpsbec77147.jpg

That looks like my friends bike that he has bagged. I watched him drop and raise the rear a couple inches. It's hilarious.

Why not get an FJR1300 or a BMW R1200 RT? From what I understand those are crazy comfortable sport touring bikes.

All the chrome is just cliche crap, I would get it all powder coated black or ceramic coated black. Hell any kind of black. I hate the stainless look of the headers on my Fz1 and I could never have a chromed out bike.

If I was going to have to go HD or cruiser I would go SOA, all the WAY.

View attachment 13198

A female friend fo mine - and she's not very big - a slight build - maybe 110 lbs - got back into riding - herself - not just on the back - a few years ago. She had had a Sportster years before, so went again with a Sportster.
But the modern recent Sportsters are mostly "Sportster Customs" - which have forward controls, tiny short stiff rear springs, short front springs - and most importantly, a large skinny front wheel and tire. It's a set-up from H--l. She rode it for a few months before she couldn't stand it anymore - beat her up - very rough riding.

She sold it for a Harley Road King - a big touring bagger. She loves it. Even though it weighs over 800 lbs - and she weighing 110 lbs.
Interesting sidelight - her new husband bought himself an FZ6.

It's not the same situation - but a female perspective - which is what you've gotta figure out.

I have a 1st gen VMAX...would not recomend as a 2 up cruiser...its a pure bred hotrod, and you'll be riding it as hard as your FZ....plus you will only take so much from the stock seat.
Plus, if you get one stock...you have to upgrade the suspension right away to ride 2 up.
I have a '02 silver FZ also and my wife didn't like it with a corbin seat and backrest...and she is 4'11".
She does fine on the Max with a corbin seat and backrest though.

If you got some dough and sticking with Yamaha....I would get the new FJR1300...you could go cross country on that...sportbike handling and cruiser comfort......her 6" frame will like that one the best.
Sport cruiser....the Warrior...reasonably priced used with lots of add-ons...and all you need is a corbin seat and she's happy.
Read the Warrior forums, those guys can carve the corners as good as some sportbikes.
If all else fails, or your getting something for HER to ride...buy a Honda....can't go wrong.

Oh yea...thers's always a hack-rig.:stunta]:

Last edited:
IMHO, an FJR is better 2-up than most of the cruisers mentioned here. If I had to have a cruiser it would be a V-Max or a Diavel, but if I was buying for 2-up riding I'd buy an FJR.

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like a lot of options out there.

I like the idea of an FJR, they do look like a better comfort ride for the pillion overall.

I think she is just in love with the look of cruisers from watching so much American Chopper over the years, I don't think she understands that looking cool and being comfortable as the pillion have anything in common.

I still would rather her get her own bike. I will also have to check out the warriors.

I think a few of the posters did not read enough of my original post to see that a spot for a pillion was a requirement here, a few pics linked were for one person bikes........

suzuki-tu250x.jpg

She'll have much more fun riding her own ride

Exactly, that or a Honda Rebel, or a Cleveland Cruiser.

The funny part is she thinks my bike is too tall, but I have a 30 inch inseam and stand over it just fine, she has a 36 inch inseam.....

I am partly afraid that no matter what bike she ride pillion on her long legs will not be comfortable.

Cruiser Bike

My other bike is a V Star 1300 Tourer. Not to big, nice ride, plenty of power. Relatively inexpensive for what you get stock. The seats are after market Ultimate seats and they really are the Ultimate in riding comfort for the rider and passenger.

If you want to get her on her own bike then maybe a used Virago 535 would fit the bill. Not too heavy or powerful, but still able to keep up with traffic and cheap enough:

attachment.php

If you want to get her on her own bike then maybe a used Virago 535 would fit the bill. Not too heavy or powerful, but still able to keep up with traffic and cheap enough:

attachment.php

I actually found a bigger one that looked like it had a nice size rear seat on it on my local craigslist. Def something to consider if we go down this road one way or the other.

Would have to go with sportster/nightster with a Roland Sands cafe kit. They just look bad!

Im not sure what the fascination with the sportster is. I test rode one a few years ago just to see what the Harley thing was all about, granted I rode an 883 but there was nothing sport about it. Im pretty sure her 5.3 trailblazer would take that pile in a drag race. IMO only thing Harley has going for it is auto cancel turn signals.

Back