What Cruiser would you ride?

My wife and I have had many discussions about cruisers, She likes the way they look better than Sport bikes or Sport Standards (like my fz1).

I want her to pursue getting a Motorcycle license herself and promised her we could get her whatever cruiser she wants.

She wants me to get a cruiser (in addition to my FZ1) with a comfy rear seat so she can just sit on the back and go for rides with me.

I am not totally opposed to her idea, but I really know very little about cruisers. When I sat on a few at the dealer they felt very big and heavy.

Many of my friends have HD's, and my wife really likes harleys. Personally I have no preference.

If you guys were to get a cruiser (and I know some of you have them already) what would you suggest that would be comfortable for my wife to sit on the back of? It can either be new or used, I have no real plans. I am just curious what I should focus on if I decide to go this route.

My one friend has a cool looking blacked out Harley with a 1200 motor in it, and his wife rides on the back, but she is tiny and probably not bothered by the equally tiny rear seat on that thing. My wife is 6 feet tall and all leg. She refuses to get on the back of my FZ1 because she thinks her butt will look too big.... so keep that in mind with your recommendations. Links to bikes and pictures are very welcome here.

Suzuki M109r2
13194d1360713629-what-cruiser-would-you-ride-2008-suzuki-boulevardm109re.jpg

If you want to stick with Yamaha.......if it was just you, a Warrior [last model year in US was 2009, but you can still find new "in the crate" ones around]......wife would probably be uncomfortable unless you go aftermarket seats. If you want to go more comfy, a Roadliner.....yeah, it's big, but the COG is so low that it handles like a dream.....and the wife might be comfy on the stock seat once it's broken in. [the FZ1 is the first sport-type bike I've owned].

Last edited:
Only cruiser Ive ridden that I've liked was the rocket 3. I haven't ridden a whole lot of em 4 or 5 total. They seem big and cumbersome, I always have trouble finding the pegs on them because they are so far forward. I took a triumph America out and it was smooooth as glass. It was too quiet too, I thought I stalled it at a light till I saw it was still turning 1500 rpms.

Well here's my :2cents:

Why does it have to be a "cruiser"? Before I got my own bike I was very comfortable on the back on my husband's BMW1150RT. We had a custom seat made for it from Rick Mayer and rode all the way to Alberta Canada on it, without squirming in the seat every hour.
Honestly as much as I like riding my own bike, if we were to go out to Cali (which is on the list), I would ride cupcake because that bike is so comfortable.
Or there's always a Gold Wing........

pic of BMW...

Actually compared to the 1300cc and up Japanese bikes, the Harleys aren't that bad size wise. People just load them up with so many accessories which makes them seem bigger. The large jap cruisers seem to be alot more massive than they have to be, my friend calls them "Hippo bikes". The 1100 Hondas and Yamahas are cruiser style without the unnecessary mass and they're reasonable price wise. Having ridden Royal Stars and Valkyries I'm always glad to get back on my FZ1 which feels like a motorcycle and not half of a car.

Back