What Cruiser would you ride?

I test rode one a few years ago just to see what the Harley thing was all about, granted I rode an 883 but there was nothing sport about it. Im pretty sure her 5.3 trailblazer would take that pile in a drag race.

All Harleys are slow but they're not THAT slow! That 5.3 Trailblazer is dangerously close to 17 seconds in the quarter. That's real slow.

The 883 is slower than a Ninja 250, though. Haha

I think the Sportster is my favorite of the Harley lineup. It's the most capable (sporty) with the least douchebaggery. I test rode the 1200 and it was a joke so I'd probably take the even slower 883 because it's cheaper. :)

I'm not sure what it's for. It reminded me of my 1981 GS650 but with no performance at all, an uncomfortable riding position and ridiculous vibration all the time. Why buy one? What's it do? I've never been able to figure that out

Last edited:
IF you really want her to be comfortable Honda wrote the book on passenger comfort.

IMG_0722_zpsf6d1a081.jpg

After a deer killed my FJR I bought this Hondapotamas. No comparison to my FJR or most any other bike for comfort. This baby will out handle most any harley or other cruisers out there plus with all day comfort. Go rent one for a day and she will love it!

Getting into this on page 5 forces me to repeat what others have said.
If you are serious about taking your girl for a ride - NOTHING compares to a Goldwing. They are flat out amazing bikes and she will be comfortable. Actually she will be extremely comfortable. Speaking about the bikes abilities - I have seen a guy throw around a Goldwing so well that we had trouble keeping up with him on sportbikes. Granted they were 650's but I can say GW are amazing machines.

I have been a HUGE Victory fan for a while now. In fact, I will definitely own one in the future. I am a big fan of the Jackpot:

victory-jackpot-7_460x0w_zps5dd45251.jpg

I know that you want to focus on your passenger so there are aftermarket pillion seats. Pretty much whatever you want. If you go Victory I would go Jackpot because it has the bigger engine. I flat out love this bike.

While I was getting some new tires on my FZ1 - I was walking through the showroom of the dealership. One of the salesmen asked me how I liked the new Warriors? I said I liked them and she said "How about a test ride?". :woot::woot:
Twenty minutes later and I am a Warrior fan. I have not checked but I would bet that these Warriors have a large accessory market so you could probably put a good backseat on there. Seriously - I was dead set on a Victory but now the Warrior has me thinking I need to look around.

Whatever you think about buying - run a Google search on accessories. So if you find a model that you LOVE but is not cool for your wife - you could upgrade any weak areas.

I had an 1100 yamaha Virago a few years ago, owned it for 5 years, V twin, espesially for taking the kids on the back, i truely enjoyed owning that bike, no screen , it was a very nice ride,very torqey , pulled in top gear from 20 mph right to 120mph.

Billy

Thanks for all the continued suggestions, Now I just need to get her to read this thread.

I know for certain she does not want to ride on the back of gullwing, she thinks they are old guy bikes. I kinda like em.

So, recently my wife has really liked the idea of us getting a cruiser to do some road trips on. Some friends of ours have HD's and do a few big trips a year and lots of small ones. Since she is still afraid of getting her M1 and her own bike we have been looking at Touring bikes.

I am going to take a look at this one tomorrow:

2007 VStar 1300 Touring model, Yamaha metric cruiser

Anyone know of a good forum for these bikes where I can research more about the motors, things to look for, etc.?

Our Budget is 6k or below, preferably around the 5k mark. The one major requirement is any bike we get is going to have EFI, I am tired of dealing with clogged carbs on my FZ1, and since the cruiser will not get ridden everyday of the week like my FZ is, I don't want to have to deal with fuel in the carbs or worry about jetting for those trips we take to higher elevations.

What about a standard bike? Why does it have to be a cruiser?

I actually like the look of the Cruisers, i have ridden a few HD's and really liked the seating position on my Buddy's Street Glide.

I am not selling my FZ, that is my DD, this is going to be for weekend trips, etc.

On another note, In the last year I have gotten my wife to ride pillion a number of times on the FZ, and while I still wish she would get her M1 and her own bike, this is the compromise I am making.

Do you think she'd be comfortable on the FZ if she had a cushy seat with a backrest? My girlfriend seems pretty comfy on the VFR with the Givi case as a backrest.

Last edited:
Back