What did you do to your FZ today?

Those sure are nice looking pegs :tup:

How is the grip compared to the stock pegs with the rubber pad? I've been looking at those but living where it rains a lot I would hate to end up with slippery pegs in the rain.

Good to hear you did not have any complaints about more vibration. That was my other concern.

Jon...
I cant speak to the rain because I just installed them and the weathers been good. there fofcastin rain for Tuesday & Wednesday, I will post after I do some riding in the rain.

Fitted this...

Its a bit of a howler :eek5:

5kg7k9.jpg

Be nice if I had the centrestand stop that normally comes with it :(

Mattsplat
can you put a few more pic of that Akrapovič exhaust, please! :tup:

Today the wife and I put 116.4 miles on the bikes. We rode east to Terre Haute, IN and then used the "Best Biking Roads" app on iPhone (I assume there is an Android version, but I don't know) to find a somewhat twisty road pointing mostly toward home, but a little north out of the way. We took it anyway. BTW, Gas was only $3.239 in Terre Haute. It's around $3.499 at home.

We took the 'Old Paris Raod' from Terre Haute, IN to Paris, IL. It was a very nice road. It's no 'Tail of the Dragon', but for IL/IN is was great. The IN section was tighter and a bit more fun, but the IL section was still nice. Great pavement, tight turns and some sweepers with hills and decent visibility.

We went from Paris to Charleston and then back home. This was a great 100 mile run. If we hadn't been pressed for time, I would have taken the "Old Paris Road" back to Terre Haute. That's a road I will be visiting again soon.

Jodie (my wife) and I had intended to head out to either Jefferson City, MO or Brown County, IN this morning, but rain this morning and all day Friday in all directions put a stop to that. Now we will take off early Saturday morning and hit Nashville, IN that afternoon and ride around. We will spend Saturday night and then ride around Sunday morning before heading back home. This is all for our 20th wedding anniversary this past Wednesday, Sept. 18th.

:sport12::woot:

Went for a +100km spin up the freeway & back in my lunch break to rack up some kms before the next service, I'll knock off the 10,000km & yearly service in one hit. I just need to clock up a few more kms.

Those sure are nice looking pegs :tup:

How is the grip compared to the stock pegs with the rubber pad? I've been looking at those but living where it rains a lot I would hate to end up with slippery pegs in the rain.

Good to hear you did not have any complaints about more vibration. That was my other concern.

Jon...

I cant speak to the rain because I just installed them and the weathers been good. there fofcastin rain for Tuesday & Wednesday, I will post after I do some riding in the rain.

Just wondering if you got a chance to test the pegs in the rain?

Thanks,

Jon...

Chain and Sprockets

Just finished replacing the chain and sprockets. Originals lasted over 30K miles, so I'm not complaining. Went with a 16T in the front and am anxious to put it through its paces. I also went with the gold chain (my wife hates the gold on my bike) for the "bling" factor. :stirpot:

Discovered a few things...
  1. I somehow missed every mention of the rubber dampers on the Yamaha sprockets when I was looking at dropping a tooth. I'm debating whether I want to go through the hassle of disassembly/reassembly and the $20 to get a Yamaha sprocket.
  2. I bought a motionpro tool to break the chain. Ground the heads off one of the links and tried to push the link off. The tool broke. I had to pry the side-plate off with a screwdriver and then was able push the pins through with the broken tool.
  3. When I was flaring the "rivets" the tool broke again. I am BARELY in the low end of the recommended flare diameter according to the DID specifications.
  4. I can torque the front sprocket while sitting on the bike, holding the brake down with my right foot and operating the torque wrench while contorted into some crazy yoga position that I can't name.

The whole process took WAY more time than I expected, but that's due to interruptions, cursing, and fighting with my son over the computer to get the torque specs for a couple of bolts. I also spent a lot of time cleaning the old chain wax that had built up in the nooks and crannies. Overall, not a tremendously difficult job.

I'll be contacting MotionPro on Monday to find out if this tool is a knock-off or something (I bought it from Amazon) -- I'm really disappointed in the quality. While I was able to get the job done, I never expected it to be a single-use tool. At this point, it's only good for pressing side-plates on. The rest of the functions are useless.

Fixed some of the damages to that was caused by some a$$ knocking my bike over in the parking lot. Knocked off the right front turn signal, scuffed the fairing and smashed the reflector on the front caliper. I reinstalled the turn signal and the scuffs can be buffed out. But I'm pissed. Good thing I had the cover on, it problably saved getting scrapped up.

Fixed some of the damages to that was caused by some a$$ knocking my bike over in the parking lot. Knocked off the right front turn signal, scuffed the fairing and smashed the reflector on the front caliper. I reinstalled the turn signal and the scuffs can be buffed out. But I'm pissed. Good thing I had the cover on, it problably saved getting scrapped up.

I always worry about that. Luckily that has never happened to me. I'm sure it will someday. Did you have it on the side stand or the center stand? Were your hard cases on?

I had it on the center stand with the cover on so no side cases.

Funny thing is that whoever knocked it over set it back up but not in the same position.

The biggest damage is the shattered relector and a cracked turn signal. I will just remove the reflector and the turn signal isn't bad enough to need replacing.

The good news is that Illinois doesn't require reflectors as far as I can see after reading the rules of the road and vehicle codes. The bad news is that if I wish to repair them it would cost about $58 to $79.

Last edited:
I'm betting it was my neighbor who has the space next to me. Probably came home drunk and swung wide tapping the bike. Of course he most likely is one of those who doesn't have a license or insurance and drives an old beater SUV and is fluent in Spanish.

I decorated the front end with a Jackson Pollack motif of red, black, green and yellow splatters of varying sizes, the sum of all the bugs that smacked into the bike on my 270 mile ride today. :rmwl:

I'm betting it was my neighbor who has the space next to me. Probably came home drunk and swung wide tapping the bike. Of course he most likely is one of those who doesn't have a license or insurance and drives an old beater SUV and is fluent in Spanish.

Upon further inspection and deduction I believe that the bike was not knocked over as I originally thought. It seems that it was either backed into or front-ended by a car turning around in the lot. The crushed reflector lines up with a car bumper and the turn signal matches the height of the hood or trunk lid. That is why it was still on the center stand, the impact just pivoted it on the stand.

Well I fixed most of it, painted the chip on the fairing, rubbed out the scruffing on the clear coat and now just waiting for the replacement reflector and bracket.

The wife and I went for a nice 50 mile ride and stopped for lunch at an awesome BBQ place. Great day for a ride, temps in the 70's and literally not a cloud in the sky all day. When we got back I washed the bike then cleaned and lubed the chain.

Upon further inspection and deduction I believe that the bike was not knocked over as I originally thought. It seems that it was either backed into or front-ended by a car turning around in the lot. The crushed reflector lines up with a car bumper and the turn signal matches the height of the hood or trunk lid. That is why it was still on the center stand, the impact just pivoted it on the stand.

Well I fixed most of it, painted the chip on the fairing, rubbed out the scruffing on the clear coat and now just waiting for the replacement reflector and bracket.

That makes more sense. I'm sure there was a Buick that backed into it and most likely didn't even notice. That is a hit and run. The FZ1 is pretty stable on the center stand and not everyone could pick the bike back up and if they did, I doubt they would set it back on the center stand, not everyone can do that either.

Back