What did you do to your FZ today?

^^ Spoke with Ivan Monday and decided it was not yet time to drop the cash into his flash and then turn around and buy the 325 PCV on top of it. One day though. One day.

I had some new shoes mounted up and replaced my chain and sprockets.

Xi4Zc51.jpg

rjKOYIA.jpg

OwEAoPX.jpg

What tires are those ? Hey, did you go with a link on the chain ?

Aired up the tires yesterday and took for a ride, rode in this morning and we start at 5700 miles on the clock.

I may be speaking out of turn, but I would say because to get the most benefit from the flash you need to have a particular set of modifications done (PC, Lars Air Box Mod, AIS, gutted cat, etc, etc).

Well it wasn't that entirely. I don't mind punching out the car, I just had the air box open and was prepared to cut it.

I found a thread on the forums here or FZ1OA forums with DYNOS an the airbox mod actually hindered performance in some cases. I don't care if my bike rumbles more. I want it to be smoother throughout then anything. If I could have it bang more mid and pull my front tire up harder I would but It really isn't an option with the gearing ratio.

Talking to Ivan I realized he wanted to charge a good bit for his reflash, that also required a PC - meaning I would be 600 out right there and should be looking at exhaust to get more benefits all to add 7hp at some RPM. I would like the rev limiter and a couple other things to be changed by the flash, but it really just doesn't make sense to go that route. When it is said and done, my tiny mods that add up to this 7hp mod shouldn't be more expensive then my pair of SNELL approved helmets.

The only benefit would be being able to take the PCV when I move to a new bike no where in the near future. Oh and a lower rumble sound which I would love, but it's again, not cost justified.

That is just my final opinion.

:noworries: If you have the cash to drop into it, I am not saying it is a worthless or unjustified mod for YOU. I like more torque then top end to be honest, and my bike is a liter bike already. Being a street warrior there just inst a need unless like I said - I want it to stand up in mid range. And that is just to be able to tell my buddies that my bike is so strong that I can't keep it down :p

the thing already challenges the worth, horsepower, and MPG that of my cage : 2004 VW Jetta 2.0 5sp 140hp FWD

I just did my major bike mods in these steps:
1. Suspension
2. Slip-on
3. Filter, Airbox, AIS, Stacks, PCV
4. Gut cat, Ivan's Flash

So you definitely don't need to feel like you have to do everything at once. After the first two on my list I rode the bike like that for most of the year. Then this fall got into #3 and #4. The more you read the forums the more you'll get a feel for when to add what and in what order. There is no magical right or wrong. Budget usually dictates it....at least it did for me.

I just did my major bike mods in these steps:
1. Suspension
2. Slip-on
3. Filter, Airbox, AIS, Stacks, PCV
4. Gut cat, Ivan's Flash

So you definitely don't need to feel like you have to do everything at once. After the first two on my list I rode the bike like that for most of the year. Then this fall got into #3 and #4. The more you read the forums the more you'll get a feel for when to add what and in what order. There is no magical right or wrong. Budget usually dictates it....at least it did for me.

You are definitely right. I think a suspension upgrade along with paying a suspension/ bike shop to tune your suspension/ help set you sag and others with you is money well spent as well.

I would want to do the slip on and stuff with the PCV at the same time. A slip on really just gets rid of the OEM bulky nonsense and gives the bike a deeper voice typically speaking.

Stack and the airbox mod go against each other I have read. It appears the best combination and consistent strong power throughout has been to leave the airbox stock and add stacks if you wish. Doing both changes the air flow I believe. I have no personal experience though, only what I have read and researched.

I would want to do the slip on and stuff with the PCV at the same time. A slip on really just gets rid of the OEM bulky nonsense and gives the bike a deeper voice typically speaking.

Stack and the airbox mod go against each other I have read. It appears the best combination and consistent strong power throughout has been to leave the airbox stock and add stacks if you wish. Doing both changes the air flow I believe. I have no personal experience though, only what I have read and researched.

Correct on the slip on....no PC necessary. But when you start messing with stacks, filters, airbox you are changing the air/fuel ratios so a PC with a proper map evens all that out. Just like any engine...if you get more air/fuel in, you need to get exhaust out. So that is when its Power Commander time. There are enough maps and folks to help you get the right map for your mods....or at least as close as possible without putting your bike on a dyno for a personalized map.

I,me, was told by Ivan on the phone that I didn't need my Graves stacks with the mods I have (modded air box, stock flies, K&N filter) and his flash/map. The map/flash is optimized with the stock stacks. This is why I have my Graves Stacks for sale in the classified section. However, some people differ with what Ivan told me. I guess you choose who you believe on that one? I'm just sticking with Ivan.

Well it wasn't that entirely. I don't mind punching out the car, I just had the air box open and was prepared to cut it.

I found a thread on the forums here or FZ1OA forums with DYNOS an the airbox mod actually hindered performance in some cases. I don't care if my bike rumbles more. I want it to be smoother throughout then anything.
If you want smooth then Ivan's flash is going to really impress you, it redefines the concept of smooth power

If I could have it bang more mid and pull my front tire up harder I would but It really isn't an option with the gearing ratio.

With a full Yoshi system and flash you will have masses of midrange torque, even with my Arrow header I picked up close to 20HP around the 7K mark compared to my untuned map.
You will have no problems hoisting the front wheel, if that's what you want, even with stock gearing

Talking to Ivan I realized he wanted to charge a good bit for his reflash, that also required a PC - meaning I would be 600 out right there and should be looking at exhaust to get more benefits all to add 7hp at some RPM.
7 HP? where did this figure come from, it will be significantly more than 7HP with full system, PCV and flash. It's probably closer to 15 HP on the top end and as stated before, 20+ in the midrange over stock
I would like the rev limiter and a couple other things to be changed by the flash, but it really just doesn't make sense to go that route. When it is said and done, my tiny mods that add up to this 7hp mod shouldn't be more expensive then my pair of SNELL approved helmets.

The only benefit would be being able to take the PCV when I move to a new bike no where in the near future. Oh and a lower rumble sound which I would love, but it's again, not cost justified.

That is just my final opinion.

:noworries: If you have the cash to drop into it, I am not saying it is a worthless or unjustified mod for YOU. I like more torque then top end to be honest, and my bike is a liter bike already. Being a street warrior there just inst a need unless like I said - I want it to stand up in mid range. And that is just to be able to tell my buddies that my bike is so strong that I can't keep it down :p

the thing already challenges the worth, horsepower, and MPG that of my cage : 2004 VW Jetta 2.0 5sp 140hp FWD

The flash also eliminates fuel cut which is especially prevalent in the earlier models. Getting back on the gas now is effortless and you have way more fine control where you need it, mid corner.

It gives you full power in gears 1 through to 3, the rev limit is increased to around 12,300 rpm, popping is completely eliminated with a plugged airbox and the bike runs significantly cooler. My bike is now around 15 degrees Celcius cooler on a hot day.

There's plenty of benefits which all add up to a much more satisfying ride.

If money is an issue for you just take your time and do it slowly but don't waste your money on a slip on, go for a full Yoshi system, airbox mod if you want to with PCV together first, then look at the flash after this.

It's not cheap probably somewhere in the vicinity of $2K but the rewards are most definitely worth it, just read the glowing reports here and on FZ1OA to see that everyone that has the full house mods and flash absolutely love there bikes now.

Last edited:
Picked up the Arrow headers ready to install them, Just need to figure out what to do with the AIS (Most likely block the bottom end so I can re use it if po po pull me over) & O2 censors (Thinking plug off as I have a PCV installed).

Rode it to work?

Actually, I have 10k on it now, so it's due an oil change, chain clean and lube.

We really need the rain in Central CA, but these 68 degree afternoons are pretty GREAT.

Picked up the Arrow headers ready to install them, Just need to figure out what to do with the AIS (Most likely block the bottom end so I can re use it if po po pull me over) & O2 censors (Thinking plug off as I have a PCV installed).

Did you get the headers locally? I'm interested in a set too. Also if its not too rude to ask, what kinda $$ am I looking at? Cheers

I got them from Motovation, they had to order them in and were the cheapest when I bought them, although it did take a while to get them due to the weather conditions in the US.

There is also this guy who was $30 more expensive at the time I bought mine with the exchange rate as it was. Back then it was $680ish Aussie from him ($650 Aussie from Motovation delivered). To get through ebay, with the dollar today they are about $830 Aussie delivered.

Racing Collectors Arrow Steel Yamaha FZ1 Fazer 2009 2010 2011 2012 09 10 11 12 | eBay

Keep an eye on the exchange rate as it makes a huge difference on big $ items. To get them locally in Dec I was looking around $730 - $750 through BikeBiz. They may still get that price which would make them cheaper, I don't know.

I got them from Motovation, they had to order them in and were the cheapest when I bought them, although it did take a while to get them due to the weather conditions in the US.

There is also this guy who was $30 more expensive at the time I bought mine with the exchange rate as it was. Back then it was $680ish Aussie from him ($650 Aussie from Motovation delivered). To get through ebay, with the dollar today they are about $830 Aussie delivered.

Racing Collectors Arrow Steel Yamaha FZ1 Fazer 2009 2010 2011 2012 09 10 11 12 | eBay

Keep an eye on the exchange rate as it makes a huge difference on big $ items. To get them locally in Dec I was looking around $730 - $750 through BikeBiz. They may still get that price which would make them cheaper, I don't know.
Is that just headers? I only paid Aud 880 for a full R77 Carbon Yoshi system delivered.

At the current exchange rate, yep. I paid a lot less than that. At the end of last year. That's why I said to keep an eye on the exchange rate. With the Dec job rate released today it will likely drop again so may not be a good time to buy.

Back