What did you do to your FZ today?

Has it ever been cleaned before? All the gunk and mess usually congregates up front since it has nowhere to go. The nice thing is you can usually get by using the gasket over again if your careful. It doesn't really hold any liquids or anything. I'd pop it off just to spray some cleaner in there. Heck, everything else is getting cleaned, might as well.

Unfotunately for me, thats how it starts. I remove and clean one thing, then it leads to another and another and before you know it you have a garage full of parts laying around, and a frame and motor staring at you in the face!!!! Hahahaha!!!!

I'll do that next chain cleaning, if I have the time. I don't want to ruin my fresh coat of chain wax. As much as I'd love a spotless bike, I have it to ride and most of that will get grungy as soon as I leave the garage. I want to do what is necessary to keep it running and in good working order and the easy stuff to make it look nice, but unless I ride in the salt, I'm not the guy to tear it all down chasing dirt. I wish you could just dip the whole bike in karosene and then rinse it down, but I don't think it works that way.

I'll just wait for Eric to come over to add my mods and you to come help tear it down to clean. I'll buy the beer! The really good stuff! :icon_beer::beer::cheers:

Well, I didn't do it today, but I did manage to get some testing done with my Contour Roam camera mount. I used the laser cutter at TechShop and cut some 1/8" acrylic to replace the block-off plates that I made a while back. Then I cut some 1/4" discs and stacked them on top of each other to fit inside the mounting clamp. I used "plasti-weld" to join the parts together and put it on the FZ1. This is just a prototype, and I hope to refine it a bit in the near future when I can get back to the shop (possibly use the 3D printer).

Last edited:
R6 shock on my Gen-1

Just installed the R6 shock, a new stock chain & sprockets, greased the swing arm bearings, greased all other suspension bearings & mounted PR3 rear tire.

My first impression, R6 shock is way better than the stock shock, the bike became more precise in cornering, absorbs road irregularities much better then stock shock. I kept the stock hight by using a 130 mm dog bones, now with the rear shock upgraded the front forks need at least racetech springs & fresh oil.

I am very happy with the result, the price of this mod was ~ $140,00 ebay 2008 R6 shock & dog bones. the R6 shock is also lighter than the stock shock.

Sounds like a great mod for the gen 1. Did you have to re-spring the R6 shock or is its spring adequate for the big fatty gen 1?

No I didn't have to re spring, it seems stiffer than the stock shock at only #4 preload vs stock on maximum preload, I am ~ 190lb with all gear & backpack.

The upper hole needs to be enlaged from 10mm to 12mm, I took it to a machine shop & paid $7.00.

Last edited:
Looks sick! I still need to do my tank. Did you take your tank off to paint it or just mask off the bike?

I am really curious as to how well it will hold up with your legs resting against the tank.

I took off the tank and everything else to paint, it's easier that way i think. I'm also curious of how long the paint will last, i think that my belt or the zip from my jacket will be a problem!!!

Well I didn't do it today, bit I put on a 02 r6 front MC and made cup bracket. Ugly but functional!
uqu2y5y8.jpg

Not today but last Sunday went for a ride and got caught in snow, Spring seems like it will never get here. This morning warmed up the garage and put in the BMC air filter. should hit mid 40's today so off for a little test ride.
Stupid weather forecast calls for snow later this week AAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!

Woohoo! Photos!

Sorry no photos. It wasn't a scenic trip... in fact, NH right now is quite dull... mounds of snow where it was piled up this winter, skeletons of trees yet to bud/bloom... winter-kill lawns with little to no green. Lakes still mostly covered with ice. What I should have done was attached the GoPro! Dopey me!!!

Sorry no photos. It wasn't a scenic trip... in fact, NH right now is quite dull... mounds of snow where it was piled up this winter, skeletons of trees yet to bud/bloom... winter-kill lawns with little to no green. Lakes still mostly covered with ice. What I should have done was attached the GoPro! Dopey me!!!

We'll forgive you this time......but next time! :spank2:

I started mine up and took it for a couple minute ride.

the batter was trickle charged for a week or so, and I only had to start it twice to keep it running. The only thing that i was disappointed in was the front tire got low. i just kept it in the garage all winter, and it was a brand new tire when i got the bike the season before last. oh well, i'll keep an eye on it. happy spring@

Hank,

My old FZ sits in the corner most of the year as it's really only for Sunday funday rides and posing at Starbucks. I had a problem with the tires losing air over a few months. Not much, but enough to be annoying. When I started parking it it with some cardboard under each tire, it stopped losing air.

Tires are like blutac or plasticine, if you let them sit they go hard and will leak air. If you ride them and work them, they stay soft and will hold pressure, just like if you kneed blutac or plasticine it will stay soft, but if you let it sit for a while it will go hard again. Spare tires are well known for losing pressure when they sit for years without being used.

Finally all done and now time to sell.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19461131/DSC_0056.JPG

Here is a list of all the mods to date:

Custom tail chop with LED brake and turn signals.
Yamaha factory seat cowl.
Rear peg removal.
Evotech Performance exhaust hanger.
MIVV exhaust.
Custom seat by "Dirt Road".
Stripes on rear body to match gas tank.
Knight Design lower footpegs.
Black peg mounts.
CopperDawg Speedscreen.
Rizoma Retro Reverse Mirrors.
Grip Puppies.
Custom front LED turn signals.
Hella Horn.
Airbox mod.
K&N Filter.
Power Commander III
AIS Block.
CopperDawg secondary flies.
Fuel Line unkink fix.
Chin Spoiler
OES Frame Sliders.
Frame plugs.
Reflective Wheel Stripes.
Satan Highway Pegs.
Battery Tender Lead.
AXIO Tail Pack.
Recent Oil Change with Rotella Synthetic.
LED License Plate Light.
Adjustable Clutch and Brake Levers.
Swing Arm Spools.

Tank bag is NOT included.

Asking $7499 or best reasonable offer. 4325 miles but will go up as I am still riding it.

Call Jeff at 610-989-9889

Sinus infection is mostly gone so my balance is back. I finally got to ride mine :woot:

Not much of a ride by my usual standards but I went to Sam's then took the long way home. There was so much pine tree pollen in the air, everything had a yellowish tint. I love spring in Georgia :D

Back