What did you do to your FZ today?

Just buttoned everything up from doing the carb jetting, boot porting, and air box mod. I ran out of light before I could get the carb sync done so that is on the list for tomorrow as well as adjusting the suspension. I can't wait for my test ride. Can anyone tell me how using distilled water for your antifreeze helps?

Just buttoned everything up from doing the carb jetting, boot porting, and air box mod. I ran out of light before I could get the carb sync done so that is on the list for tomorrow as well as adjusting the suspension. I can't wait for my test ride. Can anyone tell me how using distilled water for your antifreeze helps?

Sounds like you're almost there. Using distilled water helps with corrosion and cooling since there are no minerals in it that can react with or attach to the aluminum engine parts. When using antifreeze always buy the premixed (50/50) one or buy the full strength and mix with distilled water to achieve the appropriate mixture ratio.

The 50/50 is mixed with distilled? Thanks for the heads up I had been reading about that and had never heard it before.

Yes, the premixed (50/50) stuff is mixed with distilled water from the manufacturer. I always use Prestone, but I guess any quality antifreeze will do.

Ok... so I started to clean her up... There's a lot of work to do to get all of her shining again but once you start, stopping isn't an option. Bad weather coming for the next 1.5 days according to the useless weathermen...

I also have to get the cowl decals off since the Copperdog parts are (mostly) on the way. No rush as I am still waiting on the front pods after settling on the LED upgrade.

RE: Latest FZ1 update

Today was cloudy, very cool, and damp with a fine mist falling early this morning. So, I decided to go ahead and install the new cowling without the GRAVES flushies. The new signals are still back-ordered, and won't ship for about 2 more weeks. I completed the fitment (using the old, dull, dim, terribly-ugly signals) and road tested everything for the first time since I crashed the FZ back in April. The buzzer(s) I installed for the turn signals are LOUD ! I may have to tone them down a little bit. But, everything worked to perfection ! It sure felt good to get back on and feel the breeze . . . . YaaahaaaaaaHooooo !
Now, I get to clean her up again after running thru the leftover puddles, but, hey, -no bugs ! Too dang cold for 'em today I guess. . . . .
Now , , , Where are my missing parts ? mmhhhh?

frame sliders

Recieved my sliders from o e s accessories.com today will be installed this weeken! Never used sliders b4 they seem like good quality.

They are made of Delrin and feel solid....I think the white will look stellar after my paint job in a couple weeks!

Last edited:
Finaly got around to installing my CF sliders.

Before
picture.php

After
picture.php

picture.php

Nice ones Adam! the CF look is great on that color bike!

I shined her all up today then went out late this afternoon and rode all over Manchester waiting for Michele to get out of class tonight, then we rode back roads home while talking bike to bike on the Scala headsets.

I had to do an emergency brake and yell into the Scala "DEER! DEER!!!" and she was far enough behind to stop safely as two ran right in front of me. Whew! I did about 140 miles tonight total. :D

well so much for the r1 engine !!! developed a knock after 300 miles ...... ive had it 2 yrs so cant send it back but after looking at the bottom of the big ends and the damage on the crank case id say its been destroyed and thrown back together to sell on e bay , needles to say im gutted .... on a good note im glad i kept my original engine ... fitted today just a couple of minor isues to sort out tommorow then im mobile again

Heres some photo's of the damage ive found so far !
the first shows the big end as it shud look
r1enginebigendgone010.jpg

this one you can see the ware
r1enginebigendgone009.jpg

and another
r1enginebigendgone008.jpg

on here you can see where a bolt from the big end has taken a chunk out of the casing
r1enginebigendgone014.jpg

i honetly dont know how a crank as unbalenced as this made it to 3 miles never mind 300 !!! ah well live and learn !!

I ordered my Fieldsheer Compact saddlebags. Looking into a good GPS mount/charging system and eventually a front tire (current one is cupping).

Couldn't get out to ride due to 40mph winds

Chris, that sucks! You can tear it down and part it out though, get some cash back for the good parts.

I installed the Copperdog rear blinker pods tonight. I made it more of a job than the instructions called for but in the end, it was a perfect install... Too late for pics tonight so I'll get some tomorrow in natural light. :D

Got my new barends in and mirrors. Unfortunately my hole covers didn't ship until today (were suppose to ship last wednesday), so I have tape over the holes until the arrive (should be here on Friday).

Once I get the covers I'll post up the finished look w/ some "style" shots. Only other thing I'm thinking of doing is getting a DB Puig or ZG for summer to get more flow on my body.

On with the show.

barends-1.jpg

barends-2.jpg

barends-3.jpg

barends-4.jpg

barends-5.jpg

I took the FZ1 down to my mates shop yesterday to get a custom map sorted :)

I haven't got a copy of the map or graph to hand but it would be fair to say that the power and torque curves are a lot smoother than they were to start off with. I'm going to have to take the bike out for a spin today to see how it's going with the new map on it :wilynily:

Back