What is your "wave" protocol

Your "wave" protocol

• Wave to all motorized 2-wheel riders-including scooters.

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • Wave to fellow motorcyclists ONLY

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • Wave to fellow Sportbike riders ONLY

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Acknowledge with less than a full wave, such as a nod.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Wave ONLY if waved at.

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Do nothing except pay attention to the road and riding conditions

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'll be honest; I'm kinda burned out on the " brotherhood of motorcyclists" wave.

It's not that I don't feel a kinship to other motorcyclists-I do. But, then again, I don't wave to others driving fast, sporty cars when I'm driving mine. Do you?

If someone waves to me, I'll wave back. Typically, though, I do what I understand the Brits do-nod my head.

If you feel strongly about acknowledging other motorcyclists with a wave, tell me why; it might persuade me to change.

Last edited:
I believe a nod is just as good as a wave, especially when your cornering, or on a tight road where it's safety first. I wave to all cycles, scooters, and trikes when I'm out riding. I don't care whether the other person waves back or not. I've been doing so for as long as I've been riding (32 years), and will continue to do so. For me it's a sign of unitedness and acknowledgement towards other riders. It also makes us unique as a community of cyclists who even though you don't personally know each other, you have an unyielding bond. No other group of motorized vehicles can say that. I've even started doing it while riding my mountain bike. We as a society have lost that old time tradition of saying hello, good day, good evening, etc., as we pass each other on the street. The "wave" is my way to bring myself back to a time when people were friendly and civilized, so if it's only when I'm riding my bike, so be it. It gives me a good feeling inside to wave and have someone else wave back. I often think about what the cagers are thinking when they see us waving all the time. Maybe someday it will catch on again to all aspects of daily life.

I wave at all but scooters but only when safe to do so. If I am hitting some twisties and happen upon another rider, they don't get a wave, just the smell of my 2Bros at 8k + !!

Lately, I seem to only wave when waved at. Alot of Hardley riders, and they ain't a friendly bunch. Of course I see all the sportbike riders out when I'm in the cage....do they know something that I don't?

Oh well, things may eventually get better.....:rmwl:

Lately, I seem to only wave when waved at. Alot of Hardley riders, and they ain't a friendly bunch. Of course I see all the sportbike riders out when I'm in the cage....do they know something that I don't?

Oh well, things may eventually get better.....:rmwl:

Kind of agreed with you there. Rarely do I get a wave back from a Harley rider. I guess they think they're superior or something. Oh well let them keep thinking that...

:thewave:The only time i wave (unless waved at) is after passing the man with the speed gun at the side of the road, then ill wave at any vehicle coming towards me!!!!!:thewave:

Kind of agreed with you there. Rarely do I get a wave back from a Harley rider. I guess they think they're superior or something. Oh well let them keep thinking that...

They're too damned afraid to let go of the ape hangers for fear of vibrating off the bike. :D We don't get a lot of waves back from the HD riders here either. I still wave when I can.

BTW-The distinction I was going for between: "Do you wave at all motorcyclists" VS "Do you wave at Sportbike motorcyclists", was meant to address the HD or HD clone rider. Should have just come out and said so.:frown:

Also, I admit to having an exception to my "wave" protocol. I work on a Military Post and I always wave to other motorcyclists on post. It's my effort to keep moral high and take any opportunity to acknowledge those who fight for our freedom.

Last edited:
BTW-The distinction I was going for between: \"Do you wave at all motorcyclists\" VS \"Do you wave at Sportbike motorcyclists\", was meant to address the HD or HD clone rider. Should have just come out and said so.:frown:

Also, I admit to having an exception to my \"wave\" protocol. I work on Military Post and I always wave to other motorcyclists on post. It's my effort to keep moral high and take any opportunity to acknowledge those who are fighting for our freedom.

When I am riding up by West Point and Camp Smith in Harriman NY, I always wave to the soldiers, even when they're in their trucks.

Well in this pc world of ours, one may not know the general populous response. If some poor HD stumbles onto our site, let them read the above. (they'll soon find out for themselves if and when they purchase a FZ)

doorags and shorts with sandles were out a full force today. Unfortunately I was unable to join the festivities---they would not of given a friendly wave either way.

Same here... the fun part is that I used to be wave at by Hardly riders or my wave had a reponse from them most of the time when I had the V Star 650.
But now that I have the FZ1, half of them do not respond. So, I only wave at metrics and scooters, and wave back at Hardly's only if they do it first, and only if it is safe to do so.
However, I still offer some help to any fellow biker if they seem to need assistance... and by the way, those are typically Hardly riders.
I guess this option was not in the poll.

I do the nod to all sportsbike riders...

I don't think that the nod is 'less than' a wave, I find it more convenient and safer than taking my hands of the bars...

I don't bother with Harley riders or scooters, they never return the acknowledgement...

....doorags and shorts with sandles were out a full force today. Unfortunately I was unable to join the festivities---they would not of given a friendly wave either way.

It's actually sad to see that. People go out and spend thousands of dollars on a bike, but wont spend a few hundred dollars on themselves for protection. Oh well I have never understood that, but I am sure one day they will learn the hard way. And you're right a wave would probably be wasted on them...

It's actually sad to see that. People go out and spend thousands of dollars on a bike, but wont spend a few hundred dollars on themselves for protection. Oh well I have never understood that, but I am sure one day they will learn the hard way. And you're right a wave would probably be wasted on them...

I recieved a memorable lesson from my older brother when I started riding motorcycles. I'd spent quite a bit of money on my first bike and was looking to save a few bucks on gear. I asked my bro how good of a helmet I needed?
I'll never forget his response," Buy a helmet of equal value to that which you are trying to protect." In otherwords," It's your head, dude! Don't skimp on a helmet."

harleys would rarely wave to me when i was on my ninja or cbr. when i rode with my buddy that has a harley, they would wave to him and not wave to me sometimes which i always thought was funny. i am wondering what they will do once i get my fz1 on the road, seeing as how it is naked and leans towards being a streetfighter. maybe it will be reversed and sport bikes wont wave haha

If it's convienient, and on a straight road. I'm not going to get all panicky if someone waves and catches me off guard, and I don't get to wave back. I dont wave to Harley _ _ _ s, and don't care for their attitudes. But if it's convienient I'll wave, and acknowledge someone who waves or Nod.

Last edited:
Nod to everyone in gear. If this means giving the nod to a scooter rider....good on 'em for wearing gear I say.

Safer to nod than pull a hand off the bars. I also give the nod while hanging off the bike with a peg on the deck. Nod FTW...lol.

I think it's important to distinguish between 49cc scooters and maxi-scooters. Coming from the scooter world and their forums I can tell you the maxi-scoot riders are very sensitive about this. They wave at motorcycles and expect a wave back. These big scooters are automatic motorcycles as far as I'm concerned since they go 100 MPH or more and go everywhere a motorcycle goes (except off road which they suck at because of their smaller tires and less than ideal balance on uneven turf). The 49cc scoots always seem amazed that I wave to them, some so much that they don't even look for a wave. But when they notice they seem to appreciate it. I wave to all motorized 2 wheelers and I agree very much with Billy. This society could use a lot more friendliness. On my boat everyone waves to each other, 16 foot bowrider to 50 foot yacht.

Well, fellas, there was once a time when you were lucky to run into another motorcyclist in a full day of riding. When you did, you gave a wave because you felt you were in a special fraternity of people who braved ridng on only two wheels. Of course, those days are long gone and motorcycles are practically as common as cars. I used to try to wave at all bikes but I have to admit that as they got so common it started to feel a bit mundane and unessesary. I still wave back but I find that I initiate the wave less and less and have started to feel ignored if I do initiate the wave and it's not returned. I try not to let it bother me too much because it's easy to miss a wave if it isn't the same as your own. I have noticed that a lot of riders will only lift a finger or point with a finger, keeping their hands on the bars and you really can't fault them for that. Don't lose any sleep if somebody seems to ignore your wave, maybe they were focusing on the guy who was about to run them off the road.

Back