Whats your gas of choice?

craig074

I did a brief forum search for posts related to gas, but didn't find anything.

I was just wondering what grade of gas everyone uses in their FZ1/sportbike? In my last two bikes I used nothing but premium gas. Now with the price of gas rising like it is, I was thinking of switching to mid-grade or regular.

Would like a little feedback from other users before I make my decision.

Thanks
:sport12:

Regular. I only put super in when I think the bike's going to sit for a while. I always put in what the manufacturer recommends. My Concours takes super.

First tank or two was 93 octane. Then I reread the manual and it says 87 octane is recommended so I switched. Haven't noticed any difference. Except for more money in my wallet. Which I just blew on farkles.

I only run 98 octane, the FZ1 has 11.5/1 compression (high) and runing 87 will damage your plugs with preignition. I got preignition with 91 here in New Zealand. 98 runs good with my mods and gives more power in mid range with smoother runing. Other people on the forum have said you must be on crack to be runing 87 octane.:tup:

My gas of choice is ethanol free 87 octane... Not only is it what the manufacturer recommends, it runs better in my bike...

A buddy has a 03.. His has Dale Walker's timing advance, mine has the Factory Pro timing advance... Other than that, the fueling system on the 2 bikes is identical... Mine runs fine on 87... His gets valve train noise unless he runs 93...

If I can't get to my favorite gas station that is ethanol free... I run 93 with ethanol.

87. Switched when I found out I didn't need anything else. I was using 89, but then read I only need 87 and I can't tell the difference.

Last edited:
Regular as stated in the manual. No issues running that at all even with the mods in place. Yamaha is not going to state 87 in the manual if it would do damage. If you run higher octane, there isn't a benefit at all, and, you are wasting your hard-earned cash. :tup:

Whatever 87 is cheapest. Gas is gas, really it is. It all comes from a handful of refineries and depending on the retail brand the "stuff" is added in. I've done plenty of track days with "Major Brand" gas in the tank.

For the R6 I run super as that bike has a the thinner YEC head gasket. On a side note, that motor was build to run on C12 fuel (110 octane, oxygenated and leaded) that stuff has the best exhaust smell. :bowdown:

I run branded regular, not only in the bike, but in the car, truck and RV. They are made by three diferent manufacturers and are all high performance engines and all three manufacturers recommend regular and say 10% enthanol is fine. If you live where I do, that's all you are going to get anyway. The bike and all the other vehicles run flawlessly on the stuff. Some will argue that high compression engines need higher octane to prevent pre-ignition but the compression is not what causes the pre-ignition, it's heat. When the surface around the valves ans sparkplug get to hot or the piston crown gets too hot, that is when you'll get the pinging sound from pre-ignition. Kevin Camerin just had a good article in Cycle World that talked about this check it out. By the way, most Harleys run the high octane stuff and they have compression ratios in the basement. Harley recommends it but I've found that even the old air cooled twins can run mid range unless they get really hot.

Me, I'm taking baby steps as well. I'm like in a 12 step program for gasaholics. For the first two years I had the bike I ran nothing but 93 octane. Then last year I actually went to the 89 for the bike. Then I said that I was going to 87 no matter what but everytime I get to the pump, I can't get myself to hit that friggin 87 Lever! I try but I'm just not ready yet.:shame:

95-98 octane. Bike feels great & performs well. I always feel higher octane is better for the motor.

]People believe buying the “premium” will make their cars run better, but it makes your engine run hotter, and can cause more harm than good. In most of the U.S., regular gas has an octane rating of 87, mid grade is 89, and premium is 91 or 92. Using high-octane fuel reduces pre-ignition in the upper regions of the combustion chamber, which can damage valves, and pistons if allowed to go for long periods of time. Resist buying higher-octane gas for premium performance. It can cause other problems to your engine. Using higher-octane gas, when it’s not required could force some drivers to pay for unnecessary repairs. A “knock” or “ping” occurs when part of the fuel-air mixture in one or more of your car's cylinders ignite spontaneously due to compression, independent of the combustion initiated by the spark plug. If your car runs poorly or “pings” on the grade of gas recommended, it may need servicing, rather than using a higher grade of gas. If switching to high octane improves mileage, it may mean that your engine, or its control system needs repair.

Just do what Yamaha says :)

Back