Why are these things so expensive?

Rear swing arm stands are so incredibly expensive. Hell any motorcycle stand is too expensive. I just do not get it. There is more technology worked in to childrens toys that cost $15.

Well I at least found my solution at Harbor Freight. Now before you run away in fear let me tell you two things.... 1.) I read several great reviews about this particular rear stand. 2.) I was willing to be wrong for $39.99 less a 20% off coupon.

Haul Master Low Profile Rear Motorcycle Spool Stand

Works perfectly my GenII.

Pros:
  • Very light at 6lbs
  • Very solid all aluminum construction
  • Roller scooter type wheels work perfectly and roll smooth
  • Easy assembly
  • Price cannot be beat

Cons:
  • Must use allen wrench to adjust for other bikes (not spring)
  • Does require minimal assembly
  • Probaly will not work with larger shogun style spools. I have tiny spools and I have it at almost the widest setting to fit them.

We will have to see over time how this holds up but I have to say this thing is solid. You may want something better for frequent paddock use but for casual home use I say it is ideal.

Last edited:
I'm going to get rear and front, lifts by triple from PJ in the next week or so.....time to ditch the centerstand because it is staring to drag more and more on my righthanders.....

If you have two car stands then all you need is two long screws (bolts) that fit in where the swing arm spools should go. Put one under the right hand side screw then get on the "stand" side of the bike and put the other one near the other screw. lift the bike up untill it raises up on the right hand screw then position the other one under the screw with your foot or a friend. perfect, firm and very cheap, you can use the car stands for bikes also, Its what i did for years before getting the race stand with my bike,

Cheers,

I'm going to get rear and front, lifts by triple from PJ in the next week or so.....time to ditch the centerstand because it is staring to drag more and more on my righthanders.....

Let me know how the triple front stand is. I still need to get one for the front so I can get her off the ground when I store her for 1 month of winter here. ;)

This is the exact reason I decided to get the rear. When I get the new exhaust in I am going to remove the center stand. ...mostly to save weight.

It will probably get the job done for some time to come. In all honesty though, it is why we are losing American jobs to the Chinese. In my way of thinking, if I want someone to respect my job, hopefully they will buy my products and I'll support them by buying their products. I guess as a nation we have forgotten about that. Instead we support the foreign countries and their workers by saving our own pocket books then cry when our own jobs are lost. I'm retired so my "job" is secure but I still try to buy a product that will support my neighbor. Call me an old fart but you can also call me a patriot.

Thanks for the thread jack! ;) If it makes you feel any better. I will only buy American cars. I do have this fancy Jap motorcycle though.

I would gladly spend $5 - $10 more buck on an American rear stand. If we can only make the same thing for $100 more? Well... I just don't think we should be making it then.

There are two main reasons, I think, that manufacturing has move out of the U.S. and much of it to China. Neither of those reasons is the American consumer.

1.) Unions are the downfall of American manufacturing. It is great that Unions fight for worker rights in industry. No doubt the workers love the Unions for that. There are unintended consequinces though. What the Unions have fought for and gained have moved the U.S. out of being even remotely competative. Unions, basically commit slow suicide. Is that a paradox?

2.) The Chinese governement has drastically under valued it's currency. This makes manufacturing much cheaper in China. ...and much cheaper for the U.S. and others to import than to make.

My purchases are not patriotic or emotional. I live pay check to pay check and will buy those things at prices that allow me to maintain a decent life style for my family. That is not to say that I buy only foreign goods. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Whatever I buy for my family and myself must, however, provide the biggest bang for the buck regardless of where it came from.

Anyway... This rear stand is awesome!

Well if that stand is working for you then in the end that's all that really matters.

I got "lucky" and picked up front and rear Pit Bull stands through a local craigslist ad. At $150 I couldn't pass up the deal.

$150 for the pair? That is a deal for Pitbull.

Yes, for the pair :D Couldn't pass up that deal! That's the price of just the front if buying new since I got the one that lifts at the triple tree and not the bottom of the forks. Very useful for removing the front wheel by the way...

You can get front and rear stands from Vertical Horizons for $42 each. Even Harborfreight has some nice ones for $40-50 each. Don't waste money on pitbulls and such. I have the ebay stands. eBay Seller: power.freaks: Parts Accessories items on eBay Motors

Well if you have ever seen how well Pit Bull stands are made then you wouldn't think they're a waste of money. However, I do agree that they're expensive and most people wouldn't want to spend that kind of money on stands. I happened to find a great deal on used stands and jumped on it. Another good alternative for stands can be had from these guys:

Motorcycle Race Stands, Sliders, Spools, Chocks

I am still looking for an affordable front fork stand. I will check out these other sites that have been posted. I need to make sure I get her up off her feet for the two weeks of the year I cannot ride. :)

Those T-REx look solid! And the price is right for me!

Well I have personally seen them and they are definitely a good product. I was getting ready to purchase those when I found the Pit Bull stands on craigslist. I don't think you'll be disappointed with them...

I am still looking for an affordable front fork stand. I will check out these other sites that have been posted. I need to make sure I get her up off her feet for the two weeks of the year I cannot ride. :)

Finally got me a T-Rex front fork stand. Manufactured in my back yard a few miles North in Dallas, TX. These are indeed only about $10 more than what I got at Harbor Freight. I do not plan to replace the rear stand from Harbor Freight any time soon though. It works perfectly and is very solid.
1651d1264034648-why-these-things-so-expensive-stp60129.jpg

Last edited:
Hello there i was reading this as im interested in buying a rear paddock stand and thought the one you described in your inital post was pretty dam good, however your one is $49.99 and i found this one in the UK by Harris. Its the third one down the page £93.83

https://www.harris-performance.com/website/acatalog/Paddock_Stands.html

So £93.83 not including vat at 20% that works out to £112.60 = $181.50 at current exchange rates. Thats a difference of $131.51 or £81.58!!!!

It seems the stands are VERY similar apart from the HARRIS logo cut into the handle area and the wheels are different.

Is it just me or are we getting MASSIVELY ripped off here in UK?

Your stand seems FANTASTIC value in comparrison!!!:confused::confused:

CRAZY EH?

Back