Why Did You Buy your FZ1 ?

Like in-line 4s. Had a Bandit 1250, traded for a cruiser and made a mistake. Couldn't find another Bandit like I wanted. Found a 2008 F1 with 200 miles, paid $5600, and can't wait to put in in the wind today.

I,like some others came from an fz6 and wanted more the 1 is a lot of fun. My 1 has been on a diet this past week with a pipe and fuel box so i am working on the whole darn speed limit thing, but with the new sound and power it sure is hard.Great bike!!!

I had a DRZ4OO to commute to Manhattan, great bike for the city. Not great for long rides over 100 miles.
Seems I'm a Yamaha kind of a person, and did not care for sports bike at that time, the Fz1 had the best ratings in my book out of all the Japanese bikes at that time, also for a great price, low miles, no regrets just a strong reliable well built bike.

When I looked at the contenders like Sprint ST, BMW K1200/1300, Z1000, Speed triple, 08+ CBR1000RR, 09 R1, the FZ1 looked like it covered everything I wanted in all these bikes plus the ability to take it from a naked streetfighter with the FZ1N to a full fledged tourer with fairings and hard luggage - FJRLite. Plus cost wise it was the best value for money (VFM) bargain. I have all the parts to do that conversion which makes it the best allround bike I can ever desire. Unless they really come up with something special in 2011, I don't see a point in changing bikes.

Why I got my Gen-1 FZ1

After selling my '06 R1 last summer, I soon missed the sport and speed terribly. (I guess you could say I'm definitely addicted to speed ! ) The fz1 I found on ebay last month was just what I was looking for. Looks, SPEED, comfort, and of course, the legendary Yamaha dependability. And the price ? Just-- 3200.00 and she was already loaded with hundreds in extras ! The R1 I had was absolutely awesome in performance but, just killed my knees and my back if I rode her more than a hour or so. Enter the FZ1 in RAVEN/BLACK. Just the ticket for this old guy ! Can't wait for spring !! The '01 FZ1 will fit in very nicely with my '03 Suzuki 650 Burgman and, my '06 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail with the 95" engine.

for me, I'm lazy, but love the speed. Ok ok I'm getting older too. So this bike fits. I can go fast while just sitting there like I'm in my easy chair. Still it's fast enough that I can hang with the crazy kids on there R1's and CBR's. I do like playing with them.
With my bandit 1200, I loved just about everything. But on the long srtaights, I felt like I was on a Rascal scooter, while the guys on sports bikes left me behind.
I was going back and forth, I wanted a FZ1 but couldn't find one in my price range. So (hold your breath) I was looking at the Z1000 also. Then Bam.. the paper came out and there she was, My FZ1 with a pipe, corbin, and new tires. Under 9k miles for $5k. It was Silver, not my first choice. Besides, My first bike was a yamaha.
The funny thing was when the salesman was showing me the bike. He tells me"you don't look like the kind of guy that goes for this like of stuff, But" and turns on the blue body lights. I said... "OOOoooooooooo... ok now turn them off". We both got a laugh out of that. Then he sez... "but it does have the Oooooo factor" and started laugh again.:squid[1]:

I have an 08 GSXR750. It's a real fun bike and I like it a lot, but for riding 2 up with the Mrs it's not so comfy. I did a 1500 mile weekend on it last summer and again that was a real fun ride but I was a little stiff on Monday. (Ottowa to Toronto in a monsoon didn't help much either)

Was looking around for a ZRX in good shape and in November I happened to run into a dealer selling the managers demo FZ1 (red 1K miles) for a nice price.

The R1 engine is great and it really works for me and her 2 up. I'd say more but winter came and now theres all this snow to deal with.

I actually traded into mine, but.... Well from the time that the R1 came out, I knew I wanted one, all the power and speed, I had to get one. Well I went a bunch of years without a real streetbike, other than a street legal Bultaco Matador. So I never persued it that much. But in the back of my mind, after reading about the introduction of the first FZ1, I thought that might be a way to sort'of get a discount R1. All through the years I had watched the FZ, read all the articles, the comparisons, and it seemed to always come out on top. So it held my interest. Then I got a Buell Cyclone. That lasted me 4 years before I tired of it, traded for the Deuce, then a short while back I had the Deuce and a half army truck up for trade on craigslist. A fellow called me with a trade, either a Sportster or the FZ1. I didn't have to think long on that one, and with just 6K on the clock, made the deal. I love this bike, it's increadable in every way. Being 58, it's way easy to be comfortable on and set upright, pluss my ideas for doing touring on it this spring has got me antsy. Now if this weather will ever .........

Was in love with it for a while, or something like it, but Yammy has always been a fav, the first bike I rode was an FJ1200 (waaaay back)

I was also looking at new Suzuki Bandit.

Walked into the yam dealer, said I was looking for something used, they said what, I said an FZ1-type, and the pulled the freshly printed flyer out of the printer and said, "how about this one?" (in-store owned, always maintained, clean, and modded out well) And that was the end of that!

It's the perfect bike - all of what I wanted, none of what I didn't need, looks awesome, comfortable riding postion, and I can mod it for almost any kind of riding, and not too expensive.

I started out 8 years ago on a 2000 Honda Shadow 750. My skills outpaced the wimpy 750's performance so I moved up to a 2005 Suzuki V-Strom 650. That was an excellent bike and I really enjoyed that 650 v-twin. I came into a situation where I could buy a 2007 Suzuki Hayabusa next and simply couldn't pass it up. I compared it with a Bandit 1250 and a Kawasaki ZX-14, but the Hayabusa was a legendary bike and I had to have it. I made a bunch of ergonomic improvements to it like Heli-Bar risers, lower pegs and a double-bubble windscreen. I had softbags and an SW-Motech topcase rack installed for a nice 1200 mile trip with my Dad one summer. It was a monster sport touring bike, but I never made trips like that often enough to warrant the higher payments on that bike. I decided this Christmas to downsize a bit to something smaller, lighter and more agile for the majority of the type of riding that I actually do. Since my bike sees more duty riding to work and back, a big Hayabusa was absolute overkill. The FZ1 is just about perfect. Just got finished installing the SW-Motech topcase rack this morning, so now I can re-use the Givi V-46 trunk that I bought with my Busa for laptop storage on my way to work each day. Now, I just have to wait for the weather to improve before I can do some FZ1 commuting.

Well being a 17 year old I was caught up in the whole bike thing naturally. After being trained for two years on a little 250 ninja I was crazed for a new bike. I honestly had hopes of getting a GSXR but I grew past those after I saw a few real bikes on the road. I had went to a used bike shop and sat on a variety of bikes until the sales person took me out back to a suzuki sv 650. Since then I fell in love with the street fighter look and came across my Fz-1 on craigslist. i dint know it was a 1000 til I had already made the 2 hour trip and convinced the parentals to let me test drive it. Drove it straight home from there without a second thought.

Last edited:
i found out a friend was selling it for cheap with a bunch of stuff done to it. almost half the price of the blue book value. so the opportunity kinda fell in my lap and i pulled the trigger on it and sold my other bikes.

used to drive a CBF1000, but wanted some more power.

And the fact that my CBF had a 6K KM service interval and the FZ1 has a 10K KM service interval is also very handy

I drive about 20K KM a year so that is 3 to 4 times a year service on my old CBF1000 and for the FZ1 only 2 services a year. Wich saves me about 1K EUR a year on service.

So for my commuting the service intervals are very important.

I had an FZ1 previously but when I had engine problems under warranty, I got offered a great P/X deal on an R1 so I went for that!

I used and abused the R1 for 18 months but have managed to develop a bad back so the bike had to go.

Changing back to an FZ1 was a no-brainer as there's no other naked bike that even comes close IMO :tup:

I like power and speed but also love going on long trips so the FZ1 was a good balance between power and comfort, not to mention this bike is dead sexy haha

Was looking for a good mid-weight sport tourer. Sat on it and knew the FZ1 was it, however, I also considered the Honda VFR800. Very happy so far, but then again I just picked the bike up today and only put 30 miles on it. Will be ordering the Givi hard-bags this week.

Back