Would you buy it?

Would you buy the KTM Super Duke 1290 R?

• Just get it if you want it

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Don't touch it - first year bike with some issues and short warranty for expensive bike

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • If you can get it for $1,000 off or more, take it and have fun

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
Okay all. As usual I'm on the fence with the KTM bikes. Now I have another question as I creep closer and closer to the Super Duke 1290 R. Got a demo ride on the RC8R the other day and liked it a lot. Actually a lot easier to ride than I expected. Also took a ride on the MV Agusta Rivale which is like a ferile beast on steroids. Wifey was thinking of trading in the Ducati Monster for the Brutale 800 or Dragster but she felt like it would be a lot of work riding the MV Agusta. Her Monster 796 is so easy for her to ride she just doesn't see a reason to make the change no matter how much we love the MVs.

So, here's my question:

If you knew you really wanted the KTM 1290, would you consider it even though it is having some issues? For instance, there have been a few gasket leaks, a few display issues, but the biggest one is a rear wheel bearing / hub issue that seems to be appearing on several of the bikes.

KTM also seems to be distant in customer service. I think it reminds me of the many times I tried to contact MV Agusta while owning their bikes. It was always difficult to get someone to address the issues. Eventually they come around and fix the stuff but it takes a while.

Finally, the KTM in other countries carries a 2 year warranty. In the US it is only 1 year, and there are no aftermarket service contracts available for the bike! Seems with all the sensors and electronics they just don't want to risk being a$$ out if the thing breaks.

I just know that all the logical and rational thoughts in my head point to just riding the FZ8, but I just lust after that orange KTM so bad!

Bear with me as it's 6:20 am and I haven't slept trying to decide about this. I even have a buyer for the FZ8 at a fair price ready to go if I pull the trigger on the SDR. Maybe it's just me thinking out loud but it's too early to call Billy and have him tell me not to be lustful about the KTM!

Finally, would you consider buying the KTM if you could get a deal on one? At $17,000 for the bike, it's a tough sell. For some reason I just can't pay retail for anything. I have always had to know I was getting a decent deal on everything or I just couldn't pull the trigger. The initial influx of buyers has worked itself out and there are a couple of them new in dealers now. Many are not budging on the price but I have 2 dealers that are willing to talk about it. Is there a price it would be worth it to just go for it, and if so, what would that price be?

Anyone willing to chime in would be appreciated. I need some advice and I either finally need to just buy it since the wife keeps telling me to just go for it or put this to bed.

Here's a shot of the RC8R! What a cool bike!

Brian
KTM RC8R.jpg

If you really want it get it. There may be some issues here and there, always gonna be with new stuff.
KTM has expensive bikes but they have awesome build quality compared to many other bikes.
They have better fit and finish and seem to have better overall reliability.
I know you've had good luck with your wifey's Duc but after mine I don't think I could ever do another Italian bike.

Get it, flog it and if it doesn't meet your standards, sell it. It won't be a great bike for a pillion and I know you like to take your child. At least you can say you owned one and can then compare it to others. :sport12:

Hell yes! If you want it , go for it. Here's my 990 Supermoto T in track day mode last fall. KTM build quality is very nice and no problem with customer service when I had fading digits on the speedo and a small oil leak due to a o ring. I have put 20,000 miles on it in two years and I still get a nice grin every time I power wheelie.
That 1290 is a beast!
IMG_2685_zpsea1d0525.jpg

I'd love to ride the 1290 but couldn't bring myself to buy something with known major issues. My type of riding is primarily far away from home and daily commuting and my bike is the only way I get around; reliability is a must

I rode Doug's 990 SMT and man is it a wicked bike. I can't imagine how awesome the 1290 would be

Last edited:
I understand your concerns, I am thinking about an Aprillia RSV4 but reading the issues in the web and tests it makes me too concerned to pull the trigger. I think KTM is better because they are bigger than Aprillia and at least in Europe they are quite common. The one year warranty would worry me too, it depends how many miles you do a year, I do 20k on the Fz1 so I would assume all major manufacturing problems would surface in one year. In case you do few miles than the warranty could be a real problem. Of course it is always a bit of a gamble buying the first version of a new model.

On the other hand these bike ride so nice so it is difficult to resist. However selling an almost new bike with known issues reported in the web will make the sale difficult and usually you will lose some money. In principle you have to calculate how much the known issue repairs would cost you and how many are there.

I have a 2006 Fz1 and some would say it has known issues, so mine never had any in 50k miles. Only thing I had to change was wear and tear items and the steering head bearing at 36k. So not all is bad and internet surveys exaggerate problems often, real statistics you will only get from a dealer and for obvious reasons he does not disclose such information ;).

Ok to help you a bit just think about the turn around times for parts, in case of my Aprillia idea that was the major hesitation, even with 2 years warranty the down time of the bike could be significant due to parts not in stock. Ask the KTM dealers by getting a quote for some parts and this will tell you the situation. Some repairs that surface in the warranty are not a problem.

I agree 100% dreamdemon waiting for parts could eat your one year warranty up in no time. And no extended warranty would have me worried

Don't do it. As a rule of thumb. Don't buy first year anything. We all should have learned our lesson with the FZ1. My brother bought the first year Jeep Cherokee. I warned him against it. He didn't listen. Has been back and forth to the dealer with a problem they can not fix. He's pissed. Took all the joy out of owning a new truck and flushed it down the crapper. The riding season in the East where we live is short enough. Do you really want to spend most of that time running back and forth to the dealer. I have a feeling your mind is made up already and you just want people to agree with your decision. Please don't make me give you the old "I told you so " in a few months. There are so many great bikes out there, why would you buy one with major problems out of the box?

I'm gonna vote No. I too am lusting after Orange, just a different flavor than you - the 1190 Adventure R. My issue is not the "first year bike with some issues and short warranty for expensive bike", because the Adventure has been out for at least a couple of years now. If your budget is like mine - not unlimited - then just hold out for a while, and ride what you have now. Use the time to save up a little more cash for the eventual purchase of the KTM. Let them work the kinks out, and buy a better, more polished bike in another year or so.

As they say, just my opinion - and worth what you paid for it ...

Back