Would you buy one again?

Gen1

I haven't seen much love for the gen1. Currently there are many gen1's for sale locally with less than 15k miles and all for under $4k. those are two good reasons i would consider getting another should something happen to mine. The fairing makes it a comfortable ride on the road and with the bigger tank it has a nice range. After Ivan helped with the carbs it runs awesome. I am curious to hear from someone who has owned both the biggest reasons why they prefer the gen2 over the gen1. Now, if a gen3 came out? Hmmmm?

:cheers:

I haven't seen much love for the gen1. Currently there are many gen1's for sale locally with less than 15k miles and all for under $4k. those are two good reasons i would consider getting another should something happen to mine. The fairing makes it a comfortable ride on the road and with the bigger tank it has a nice range. After Ivan helped with the carbs it runs awesome. I am curious to hear from someone who has owned both the biggest reasons why they prefer the gen2 over the gen1. Now, if a gen3 came out? Hmmmm?

:cheers:

A Gen 3 with the inline 4 with the crossplane engine, a suspension that is a nitrogen unit in the rear instead of emulsion, and in all black please. I would consider getting another one. I'm really just drooling over the BMW S1000R or Tuono V4R in about 2 years as my next street bike.

I personally just didn't like the character of the gen 1. On paper, it's a great bike for me but I didn't enjoy riding it as a whole. Loved the motor, though.

The gen 2 just has a sportier, more sharp-edged quality to it that really completes the 'every day sport bike' package.

What do you own now? That's not an FZ6 in your avatar and I thought you got an FZ1?

Minverine FTW!! :D

Ah....yes had an FZ1 and had a close call on it which spooked me. Hastily, I sold it to a dealership to get into a car. Few months later I found myself looking at bikes on Craiglist. Saw a killer deal on a 2012 Z1000. So far, am really liking it. :D

A Gen 3 with the inline 4 with the crossplane engine, a suspension that is a nitrogen unit in the rear instead of emulsion, and in all black please. I would consider getting another one. I'm really just drooling over the BMW S1000R or Tuono V4R in about 2 years as my next street bike.

The only argument I could make is all white over the all black! But the new tuono will be available in white?

But the new tuono will be available in white?

Yes it is!

Any ABS bikes in the US? late Oct-Early Nov $14449

In fact I was laying in bed last night like a 15 YO boy fantasizing about girls, but my fantasy was the 2014 Tuono V4R APRC ABS in white, with a full Ti exhaust, RACE flash, Ohlins forks and TTX shock, with Aprilia factory forged wheels!

Remember - You can take test rides at Aprilia/MotoGuzzi/Zero dealers! :yes:

OP - For me I sold my G2 FZ1 and bought a 2012 Tuono, and never looked back! All the stuff everyone mods on the FZ1 you don't need to do to the Tuono. In fact you might even come out money ahead.

That said the Tuono V4 is an edgy bike, much more sporty than the FZ1. Yes you can dump a bunch of money into the the FZ1, I did. But it's not the Tuono.

But...so many buts...if you want a "sporty" touring bike, the FZ1 is a very good selection.

Go ride a bunch of bikes and see what you think.

If I could buy a new Gen 1 I would. Loved the old Sperry suede boat shoes I wore for years and can no longer buy. Lesson learned. If one's good two's better. This thing is the "compleat" motorcycle.

I absolutely love my bike. More than any other bike I have. However if I was offered money that I could not refuse for my bike, I would grab an 08+ Hayabusa. My friend has one and it is just fantastic. Or a ZX14R the 13+ models.

Yes it is!

Any ABS bikes in the US? late Oct-Early Nov $14449

In fact I was laying in bed last night like a 15 YO boy fantasizing about girls, but my fantasy was the 2014 Tuono V4R APRC ABS in white, with a full Ti exhaust, RACE flash, Ohlins forks and TTX shock, with Aprilia factory forged wheels!

Remember - You can take test rides at Aprilia/MotoGuzzi/Zero dealers! :yes:

The 14's look awesome but there are a couple 13's new that are listed for 12,999, yellow or black. Not sure I can afford a test ride!

hmm.. may I ask why?

I wouldn't change my gen 1 for a stock gen2 NO WAY

If I could afford a 2014 bike gen2 would be the last on my list..

I want last gen assisted ABS, traction control, good fueling from factory, decent wind protection also from factory, the brand new bosch stability control that's on the new KTM's ... gen2 has none of those things

just look at this beast KTM 1290 Super Duke R Unveiled

if it only had fairings and a yamaha badge :)

I have been considering adding a bike to the garage but torn between new FJR so wife and I can curse or me just being selfish as usual and going with a BMW 1000 RR

Short answer- YES

Long answer- HELL YES!!!
I've had my 08' fz1 naked for 2 weeks, I'm absolutely smitten with it. There are plenty of little things I want to do (bars, levers, comfy seat, slip on, pc3, flies, airbox, sprockets) they are a beautiful stock bike, but I'm a mod whore :rofl:

I have owned an FZ6 and wanted an FZ1. Bought a Gen 1 and wished I had EFI. Went another direction and had a CBR100RR, tried to turn it into an FZ1 finally sold it and bought my current Gen II... now it is the bike I always wanted! When this bike gives up the ghost, I will buy another.

I'd buy it again. Love this bike.

Complaints (these are minor to me, and don't change my overall opintion):
  • Range on a tank of fuel (I typically refuel at around 125 miles, shortly after the low-fuel trip kicks on). I can stretch it further, but I'd rather stop for fuel than be nervous about running out of gas. I'd be happier if the low-fuel light came on around 150 miles. I sometimes tour with a guy who has a BMW R1200R and I think he has almost double the range. When travelling with some friends, it always seems like I'm the first one to need gas.
  • Some people complain about mileage, but it doesn't bother me any more.
  • Acceleration. I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket when I recently replaced the chain. Wish I'd done that when I first go the bike, but I didn't know what I was missing. I guess that's less a complaint than a suggestion.
  • Downshifting. Sometimes I struggle to get quickly down to 1st gear, especially when I'm practicing emergency stops. This is after almost 30,000 miles on this bike.
  • Chain maintenance. With a center stand, it's super easy, but does mean I have to keep a can of chain lube handy when I tour. I'm looking at auto-oilers to mitigate this.

[*]Downshifting. Sometimes I struggle to get quickly down to 1st gear, especially when I'm practicing emergency stops. This is after almost 30,000 miles on this bike.
[/LIST]

Why would you even want or need to go into first gear unless you're stopped completely? I find this especially confusing in a panic stop situation

Why would you even want or need to go into first gear unless you're stopped completely? I find this especially confusing in a panic stop situation

I don't think I wrote that clearly. Here's the exercise:
  1. Cruising along at 25-35mph (2nd gear or higher).
  2. Squeeze the brakes to stop in the minimum distance.
  3. Downshift to first while checking mirrors for possibility of danger.
  4. Swerve to side (imagine between 2 lanes of cars travelling in the same direction as me) and forward to avoid possible rear-end.
  5. Stop again (optional).
So, when I'm stopped completely, checking my mirrors, sometimes the bike doesn't go into first gear on the first try. This isn't an "every time" occurrence -- it only happens occasionally (maybe 1/25 hard stops at most -- probably less than that, since I don't really keep track).

Last edited:
Ohhh! I totally get it now. :)

I've had a few bikes that didn't go into first gear properly in that situation. I always found that a little revs and releasing the clutch lever slightly would get it in gear almost every time.

Back