Yamaha Sport Scoops

FLFZ1

Does anyone have a set of the Yamaha Sport Scoops? I would like to "rent" them from you for about two weeks. I will not install them on a bike or damage them in any way. I simply want to make a set of molds for them.

I will pay shipping both ways. Attached is a picture of a matching color set. I plan on making a set in fiberglass and carbon fiber.

Send me a PM if you have a set.

Thanks

Randy

If your plan is to go into some sort of production for these, I'd take into consideration that the majority of FZ1 riders bought the bike because it wasn't incumbered by a bunch of plastic/fiberglass. If you still think there is a market for this, I'd just buy a set and chalk it up to the cost of doing business. The upper half looks OK for my likes, but I really don't care for anything that makes a simple oil/filter change more of a hassle.

The bottom is just a chin fairing. I am only looking at the sport scoops. I am not looking at "mass" producing these parts. I know some guys like them and some do not. I might wind up making 10 -15 sets if that many. Two will be for me as I will want a pair that is same color as my bike (same as photo) and a set made out of carbon fiber. That is why I do not want to buy a set. If I buy a set then I will be done and have no need to make any. If I could find a pair and make a mold I could make some from carbon fiber (which I know a lot of guys like) and some from fiberglas. Change some of the lines or other things up a bit, etc. Definately sell them cheaper than the $300 that Yamaha charges.

Bump

I do like them but still on the fence about having a pair of them on the bike. If I did, they'd be in the Cobalt Blue though.

Having own some CF parts in the past, I haven't been happy with them. Some have yellowed in spots. Others, one small nick and the clear coat is history. I guess to me, CF parts seem too fragile? MHO...

I personally like them since I first saw them on a Canadian FZ1. However, like you I think $300 is a bit much to pay for them. I would definitelly be interested in a set if the price was reasonable.

I'd get shot if I spent that on the bike right now. She's not happy about me getting the $300 chin fairing on the FZ6 then trading it so anything like that is a no go until bonus time next year.

They shouldn't be THAT much anyway... just two plastic parts... Maybe under $100 somehow and they'd sell a boatload of them.

BTW, what's the price on the FZ1 lower cowl/chin fairing?

I'd get shot if I spent that on the bike right now. She's not happy about me getting the $300 chin fairing on the FZ6 then trading it so anything like that is a no go until bonus time next year.

They shouldn't be THAT much anyway... just two plastic parts... Maybe under $100 somehow and they'd sell a boatload of them.

BTW, what's the price on the FZ1 lower cowl/chin fairing?

The lower chin cowl is $349 from Yamaha!!
The scoops are $319 plus shipping which would come from out of U.S. so it would be tremendous even if they are just plastic.

I could probably make a set out of fiberglas for about $100 ready for paint.

The lower chin cowl is $349 from Yamaha!!
The scoops are $319 plus shipping which would come from out of U.S. so it would be tremendous even if they are just plastic.

I could probably make a set out of fiberglas for about $100 ready for paint.

Now..... $100 is a price I might be able to do! ;) I think there was a guy on the FZ1OA site that was contemplating selling his set.... I'll have to go digging.

Now..... $100 is a price I might be able to do! ;) I think there was a guy on the FZ1OA site that was contemplating selling his set.... I'll have to go digging.

I just don't get these prices!?? They think they have gold for Pete's sake. It's a friggin piece of plastic that weighs next to nothing and that breaks so easy in a drop or tip over. All aftermarket motorcycle parts are way over priced in my opinion. Cans, plastics, rear sets, levers, etc. I mean, come on, you can buy a new set of Bridgestones shipped to your door for $239.00 dollars, yet a piece of painted plastic costs over $300.00 dollars. It's all a rip off!

Well, what we need is some folks to start making stuff here for a reasonable price. I'm guessing it would have to be slightly different to be considered orignal and not a copy? Any legal issues with a direct copy and multiple sales? Hmmmm... Thinking out loud but that might be a good thing for ya.

Any modification at all of it and it is not the original part. Yes we have thought about that. Once we make the mold we can change things quite a bit.

I am going to see about making some of the radiator covers in CF. Maybe do some additional designs for them. They are simple. Might even look at making it a one pieces from one side across radiator to the other side.

FZ1riderNY, I agree 100%. Prices are crazy. The ones we make will be able to be repaired if cracked. Plastic does not repair.

Thinking about doing a rear wheel hugger in CF, but making it a little longer than stock just to be different.

then, lets get a pool together and chip in for the cost....or I might finance (since all you Gen II owners want to do is cry :poke:) and that way get a few sets to recoup money and be good to go....??

WELL!

That's a thought! Nice one! So? How many are up to the task? The more we can get the cheaper it becomes.

I'm not sure I could go half or third, but if it is divided out to 5 or more, I can likely pitch in!

I'm all in for a Gen1 rear hugger in CF. I assume that we are talking about
Gen2 parts here. The least expensive rear hugger I found is 129.95 but also heard about some cracking after a while due to vibration. The other one is 169.95 which only comes in black gel coat. Thats the one that I am leaning towards, but if I was able to get my hands on one in CF, I would wait.

Sport Scoops

So far I have about 7 guys interested in getting a set, including you guys. If everyone pitched in it would be about $50 each which includes shipping. I might be able to get a Dr. friend of mine to bring them back from Canada on one of his frequent trips over the border.

I will talk to my fabricator to get a good hard price on them. Let him know we will need 7 sets. I will get a price on the CF and fiberglas scoops. I will then deduct the price we all pay for the original set. I will also get a price on the real wheel hugger.

So far I have about 7 guys interested in getting a set, including you guys. If everyone pitched in it would be about $50 each which includes shipping. I might be able to get a Dr. friend of mine to bring them back from Canada on one of his frequent trips over the border.

I will talk to my fabricator to get a good hard price on them. Let him know we will need 7 sets. I will get a price on the CF and fiberglas scoops. I will then deduct the price we all pay for the original set. I will also get a price on the real wheel hugger.

Am I one of the 7 or do I make #8? ;)

Back