150hp <--> 100hp

you'll notice my 5sec and 20sec are a bit off ;-) but I reckon you'll get the idea.
Ideal to switch to 100HP if you wanna ride an a short circuit track with lots of turns or as I'm doing now, riding in the winter on cold and wet roads....

Last edited:
So I go and dump a lot of money on a new exhaust and a PCIII on a brand new bike...

I get the bike properly dyno tuned and the guy says to me "you got good gains here, from 112RWHP to 120RWHP" and I'm thinking yeah great... :Rockon:

Then I'm reading around the forums that it should be pulling 130RWHP off the showroom floor and I'm sitting here scratching my head thinking WTF is going on. :eyebrow:

I couldn't understand how I'd LOST 18HP by fitting a new exhaust. :confused0024:

After going through the steps DenArnold set out I found my bike was defaulted to the lower setting! :jaw drop:

I did have to change the steps slightly to make it work for me, but maby thats because I'm in Australia and we have to read the instructions upside down. :australia:

• Hold down both SELECT & RESET
  • Switch on Ignition
  • Display will show HI flashing (5sec)
  • Release buttons
  • Display will show d1
  • Hold down both SELECT & RESET for 5sec
  • Display will show d:01, 16
  • Press RESET till display shows d:63, 00
  • Press RESET (changes display to d:70, 0) quickly followed by SELECT and hold for 20sec.
    Here I had to change the order by going SELECT quickly followed by RESET and hold for 20sec
  • Engine management light should start flashing
  • Press SELECT should set the engine management light to either solid or flashing. SOLID = 100hp, FLASHING = 150hp
  • Turn off ignition

I noticed that once you were in the menu the SELECT and RESET buttons worked like a scroll up and down through the options, it appears that my options were in reverse (upside down perhaps?) order because the menu option "d:70, 0" was before "d:63, 00" where in DesArnold's demo it was after.

Anyway I haven't been for a ride since the change yet, I'm pretty keen to get it dyno'd and see what differences will be found. :thumbup:

Are the menu's in the system documented anywhere? Is there anywhere we can verify what the setting actually does?

I bought mine as 106hp, and I'm thinking of changing this in the menu.
BUT, I've been told that I have to connect a wire to PIN19 on the ECU, and put it to ground, before I can do this.

Why? Is this correct? Can you guys check if you have a wire on PIN19? What can go wrong if I try to do this without the wire?

Excellent thanks for the headsup. 150hp doesn't feel much faster than 100hp for some reason!

Anyone know what the other functions are for or tell that are scrolled through? Also, why does this feature exist and no mention of it in the user manual?

Cheers.

Anyone confirmed actually whether this works on the US models? It is a good option to gain some mpgs too.
Hasn't made much difference to my petrol consumption still getting about 80miles of hard riding on a full tank before the reserve light starts to flash. Maybe it's a good chance for you to be the labrat!

The reverse steps seem to work for me with my US bike it "feels" faster however that could just be wishful thinking - going to look at having it put on a Dyno in the next few weeks and change modes to see if any real difference.

Last edited:
Fascinating. I've read all the posts in this thread but I' still not sure I understand: Does this work on our bikes in the US and Canada?

Well in the case of my FZ1 (US) it was set to solid (100hp) by default, so switching it to Flashing (150hp) seems to make it feel more responsive however like I said it could just be wishful thinking thats why I am going to look at having a Dyno done on it to see if my bike was limited to 100hp out of the gate and if this mod really changes the output performance just by changing that one setting.

I just thought when going to a 1L bike - getting use to the power on 100hp for a while then switch to 150hp when comfortable on the new bike. But then again, those tigers get loose on high revs, so just stay away from it - all in the wrist...just thinking...

I just thought when going to a 1L bike - getting use to the power on 100hp for a while then switch to 150hp when comfortable on the new bike. But then again, those tigers get loose on high revs, so just stay away from it - all in the wrist...just thinking...

Yes, it's definitely all in the wrist. I would suspect that at the 100 HP setting you have to twist the throttle a lot more to get some speed. What happens when you set it to 150 HP and you still twist the throttle like you were used to at 100 HP...one word, trouble.

I have the same change in the proceedure as yourself. Although I'm in the UK my bike is a parrallel US import. So maybe it's different for EU & the rest? Works fine though.
Dean.

My US bike was set to 100 HP from the dealer! (steady amber light) I'd mentioned to the dealer the engine felt like it bogged down from 3K to 4.5K RPM and it just didn't feel as fast as it should be for a bike w/ 130 WHP. Another issue that irked me was my poor MPG. MPG for me has been btw 32-34 mpg.
Today I followed the steps in the video-left amber engine light blinking for150 HP - turned ignition off. On the next ride I immediately noticed the hesitation btw 3-4.5 RPM was gone. The bike definitely felt quicker through out the RPM range. And, an unexpected bonus. Instead of getting worse MPG (more powerful engine) , it improved significantly!
Prior to changing to 150 HP, I filled tank and noted 32.5 mpg. After switch, I got 38.5 mpg! (Those were back road miles, not highway.)

Wonder why the bike comes set @ 100 hp in the states? I understand some European countries license small displacement bikes differently than large displacement bikes, so the HP conversion is a clever idea; if one wants to grow into their bike rather than buy a new one.

Not so in the States. At any rate, much happier with zippier, better mpg machine.:woot::party0011::beer::america::tup: :sport12:

I have the same bike (all stock) and can't wait to get back home to try this. I will let you know what I think. Man it's been over a month without my baby can't wait to mount her again LOL!!!

Back