150hp <--> 100hp

Bemused

I tried this on my 49-state (but living in California) US 2007 FZ1 and it worked fine in the menu. I have yet to ride the bike with this new setting. Mine was also set to 100 hp by default. It seems like everyone's bike is set to 100 hp by default at the factory.

The curious thing here is: this seems to contradict all the dyno tests run on stock bikes, as they seem to indicate around 150 at the crank and around 130 at the wheel, right? This also makes me wonder ... is it really a difference of 50 hp here? Is there any difference in hp? Why would increased hp lead to increased gas milage?

So folks, what is really going on here? I'd really love to find out what we are specifically changing in this menu. I wish there was some official documentation about this somewhere. There must be, right? Also, where did the OP find out about this? I'd love to find out, since maybe it describes things in a bit more detail.

As I scrolled through differing D settings, I could hear something being mechanically adjusted in engine (I'm guessing some aspect of the fuel injection). Whether we choose blinking or solid ... what does that change from a mechanical perspective?

I tried this on my 49-state (but living in California) US 2007 FZ1 and it worked fine in the menu. I have yet to ride the bike with this new setting. Mine was also set to 100 hp by default. It seems like everyone's bike is set to 100 hp by default at the factory.

Now this has me wondering. Ill have to check when I get home. If I've been riding on 100hp this whole time, I'll be pissed :doh2:

Second thoughts

After my initial excitement with better MPG and improved power, and spending more time with the change, I've reconsidered.

My MPG is not consistently 4-5 MPG better, as my first check indicated. I need to keep testing. However, I do find the bike more powerful, yet a dyno check is really required. I know perception can be strongly influenced by expectation.

US bikes are not restricted. Get your facts right. People here are dynoing at 150rwhp. Don't tell me their mods are giving a 50bhp boost.

My thoughts exactly. Something is not adding up ... so what are the facts here? If we assume the video in the 1st post to be correct about what the blinking/solid light means, then everyone who has bothered to check their bike (in the context of this thread) has discovered it to be set to the lower hp setting from the factory. It just doesn't make sense.

What does this menu function actually do? Of course, some dyno results would be helpful, but so would some kind of documentation on the menu functions.

Anyone have more info?

CrazyBiker already stated it. This does not apply to US bikes. Trust me you can definitely feel the difference between 100 HP and 150 HP.

I decided against checking the setting on my way home. My decision came after rolling on in 6th gear and accelerating from 55 to 100 in a blink of an eye. This is NOT a mere 100hp bike.

Yes, but my point is ...

CrazyBiker already stated it. This does not apply to US bikes. Trust me you can definitely feel the difference between 100 HP and 150 HP.

That's all well and good, but what you and CrazyBiker are saying is what leads to the very premise of my questions. I already agree that it is not a 100 hp bike and I agree that there isn't a change of 50 hp. Totally! Yes ... a hundred times yes.

However, this menu function is definitely changing something mechanically on US bikes. I'd like to know what that is (even if it doesn't result in a 50 hp change). Allow me to quote myself ...

As I scrolled through differing D settings, I could hear something being mechanically adjusted in engine (I'm guessing some aspect of the fuel injection). Whether we choose blinking or solid ... what does that change from a mechanical perspective?

What I'm suggesting is that we try to find some kind of source documentation describing this menu functionality. We'd all benefit from greater legitimate knowledge about our bikes. Any help in that regard would be greatly appreciated. You guys can brush it off if you want, but I am authentically curious about these hidden menus.

What I'm suggesting is that we try to find some kind of source documentation describing this menu functionality. We'd all benefit from greater legitimate knowledge about our bikes. Any help in that regard would be greatly appreciated. You guys can brush it off if you want, but I am authentically curious about these hidden menus.

These hidden menu's are hidden for a reason. I've been explained by my dealer-good friend about this option...which is something he would not explain to his average customer. Realise that, as your bike has factory warranty, and changing these settings may well be logged when you connect a diagnostic computer, this can void the warranty if used incorrectly.

Best bet for those documents is that if a Yamaha dealer would be kind enought to give us a little insight to there manual data bases since nothing in the mechanic world is ever down on paper anymore. Well i shouldnt say nothing but everything that Ive ever worked on Ive had to have a computer to help through these menus on cars.

...What I'm suggesting is that we try to find some kind of source documentation describing this menu functionality. We'd all benefit from greater legitimate knowledge about our bikes. Any help in that regard would be greatly appreciated. You guys can brush it off if you want, but I am authentically curious about these hidden menus.

I get your point. Maybe somebody else that's as curious as you will come up with the documentation. As for me I don't see any reason to switch between 100HP and 150HP (if it could be done)...I want the 150HP all the time :D

These hidden menu's are hidden for a reason. I've been explained by my dealer-good friend about this option...which is something he would not explain to his average customer. Realise that, as your bike has factory warranty, and changing these settings may well be logged when you connect a diagnostic computer, this can void the warranty if used incorrectly.

Bingo we don't touch tuner cars at dealerships for that very reason

These hidden menu's are hidden for a reason. I've been explained by my dealer-good friend about this option...which is something he would not explain to his average customer.

DenArnold,

Thank you for commenting again on this thread. Perhaps, when you have the time, you might be kind enough to inquire to your friend for more detail on what this menu changes from a mechanical standpoint? As you can see, it has created much interest.

I get your point. Maybe somebody else that's as curious as you will come up with the documentation. As for me I don't see any reason to switch between 100HP and 150HP (if it could be done)...I want the 150HP all the time :D

Me too!

+1

Since the settings are not protected by a code, known only to the dealer/technician, I tend to doubt this. Menu access is far too easy. IMH

I'm beginning to think these settings aren't functional for North-American models. I suspect models destined for N. America have a slightly different ECU, which does not respond to menu settings-at least for HP. So why are they there? Because using the same dial unit was cheaper than making a new one ?? .

Last edited:
I found this on the Yamaha web site. It pertains to the 2009 YZF-R1. But isnt the FZ1 the same motor for 09?

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelfeatures/6/0/features.aspx

The R1 features Yamaha D-MODE (or drive mode) with rider-selectable throttle control maps to program YCC-T performance characteristics for riding conditions. The standard map is designed for optimum overall performance. The “A” mode lets the rider enjoy sportier engine response in the low- to mid-speed range, and the “B” mode offers response that is somewhat less sharp for riding situations that require especially sensitive throttle operation. Switching maps is as easy as pushing a button on the handlebar switch.

Sounds like what we are accomplishing but with out a single push button?

Last edited:
Progress!

I found this on the Yamaha web site. It pertains to the 2009 YZF-R1. But isnt the FZ1 the same motor for 09?

Nice find, Doug103! That seems like a reasonable assumption. If that turns out to be the case, I believe I know which mode I'd prefer to live in.

I also found a digital copy of the 2006 FZ1 service manual here ...
http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/16765-fz1-service-manual.html

Check out pages 8-42 and on. I haven't figured out what Diagnostic Code 70 is explicity, as it is described as "Control Number 0-255" on page 8-48. I intend to keep searching until we have some actual facts. As CrazyBiker so astutely pointed out ... it's rather important to get one's facts straight.

The R1 features Yamaha D-MODE (or drive mode) with rider-selectable throttle control maps to program YCC-T performance characteristics for riding conditions. The standard map is designed for optimum overall performance. The “A” mode lets the rider enjoy sportier engine response in the low- to mid-speed range, and the “B” mode offers response that is somewhat less sharp for riding situations that require especially sensitive throttle operation. Switching maps is as easy as pushing a button on the handlebar switch.

The current FZ1 engine is based on the 04-06 R1 engine not the '09. What you came across there is a switch that does restrict power a little bit, but no extreme 50 HP difference. From reading somewhere else the most restrictive of those settings only opens the throttle plates 80%, but the other two open them 100%. Suzuki has a similar system...

This doesn't work with US models.

I had a dyno run this afternoon and I talked with the tech after my run and told him about this thread. He let me switch modes and then do another 5th gear and all gear run and, he didn't even charge me for the 2nd run!

The results:
Solid light: 143.11 HP / 71.29 Torque / 168.27 max spd
Blinking light: 144.26 HP / 71.58 Torque / 169.31 max spd

This doesn't work with US models.

I had a dyno run this afternoon and I talked with the tech after my run and told him about this thread. He let me switch modes and then do another 5th gear and all gear run and, he didn't even charge me for the 2nd run!

The results:
Solid light: 143.11 HP / 71.29 Torque / 168.27 max spd
Blinking light: 144.26 HP / 71.58 Torque / 169.31 max spd

There's all the proof we needed...the dyno doesn't lie :D

Nice numbers by the way :tup:

Back