ECUnleashed in Oz

If you carefully read his posts, from what I have seen making mods to my bike, the simple answer is yes you do need a PC5. These bikes are very picky to add-ons. You would not believe the amount of fuel I had to pull from the midrange when I cut my air box. Some things really take you by surprise.

I have learned to never trust the butt dyno as your ears really do influence the opinion of your butt.

If I have a spare 08 ECU and eventually would love to do some hard back to back testing compared to my 2010 Euro ECU and how the 08 behaves before it's hacked. The changes that they do should jump out at me in the data logs.

Beast

So, i only really need either a power commander or an ECU reflash so to ensure the engine is running right to protect itself after a mod (I personally have not noticed the throttle snatch issue everyone talks about). Thus I'm guessing that just a PC5 would be sufficient and make future retuning cheaper and easier?

So, i only really need either a power commander or an ECU reflash so to ensure the engine is running right to protect itself after a mod (I personally have not noticed the throttle snatch issue everyone talks about). Thus I'm guessing that just a PC5 would be sufficient and make future retuning cheaper and easier?

Buy a PC3 or V off Ivan and he will download his E map which has been designed for the mods you have done on it for free:woot:. :sport12:

Buy a PC3 or V off Ivan and he will download his E map which has been designed for the mods you have done on it for free:woot:. :sport12:

I have thought about getting a PC from the US, but the tuning shops won't support you if you don't buy locally and there's no warranty on it if it's not bought here.

Anyway, the parent company, aust distributor and the local dealers have thought it through and set the price as low as they could to encourage you to buy locally, which makes it not that much of a difference in price!

It's not worth the small amount you save to miss out on a warranty.

Anyway, it's not recommended to use a file from another country as the fuel can be slightly different and can make a big difference.

The whole reason for wanting a power commander is to ensure the engine is running right and protected from damage from a poor tune and running too rich or too lean.

It has to be dyno'd anyway... mad if ya don't...

But thanks for the suggestion, I did actually consider this option when I first looked at mods 18 months ago...

I have thought about getting a PC from the US, but the tuning shops won't support you if you don't buy locally and there's no warranty on it if it's not bought here.

Anyway, the parent company, aust distributor and the local dealers have thought it through and set the price as low as they could to encourage you to buy locally, which makes it not that much of a difference in price!

It's not worth the small amount you save to miss out on a warranty.

Anyway, it's not recommended to use a file from another country as the fuel can be slightly different and can make a big difference.

The whole reason for wanting a power commander is to ensure the engine is running right and protected from damage from a poor tune and running too rich or too lean.

It has to be dyno'd anyway... mad if ya don't...

But thanks for the suggestion, I did actually consider this option when I first looked at mods 18 months ago...

Sounds good to me mate, how much is the PCV locally?

Ah ok, thanks.
Hey do you think I should look at theECUnleashed option yet? or just get a power commander first?

Hellgate would be better to ask about this than me.

But let me say that if this were available when I was modding my bike, I would have most probably done this before adding a PCV.

I especially ike the fact that you can remove the restrictions in 1st-3rd gears.

I recommended skipping the PC and get the flash.

I know there is the disclaimer that ECUnleashed posts above using a PC to completely fine tune the fuel. With back to back dyno tests of the flash vs. a '10 ECU with a custom tune the HP plots and the CO% plots were the same. There are no more benefits that adding the PC to the flash will gain you. And of course you get all of the other benefits of the flash.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

I recommended skipping the PC and get the flash.

I know there is the disclaimer that ECUnleashed posts above using a PC to completely fine tune the fuel. With back to back dyno tests of the flash vs. a '10 ECU with a custom tune the HP plots and the CO% plots were the same. There are no more benefits that adding the PC to the flash will gain you. And of course you get all of the other benefits of the flash.

Thank You Pete! I'm just in the middle of reading thru your thread on the results... :D
As I have said previously, like yourself, I'm not looking for all out HP, just a nice smooth tune and to correct any leaning out or over fuelling caused by mods ie. the slip-on, K&N filter...
Well we'll just have to wait for this new aust. tuning centre to send out some prices....

I've had several email exchanges with people from the other forum regarding this. One person got the flash and is very happy with it. Two other people are considering it too.

From what I hear from the shop that did mine, everyone is very happy with it. The R1 guys are blown away

Well as long as they don't whack the old Australian price increase which will probably double it and some...
If it's under $700-800 it will be more than worth it....

Last edited:
Hey Guys

First post, but I've been researching this subject for a few nights.

Theres a new option in WA, ecuwest.com.au

They're at least 100 bucks cheaper, has anyone got this done to their FZ1 yet?

Back