ECUnleashed in Oz

ECUnleashed is an amazing option that most newer bikes 06+ absolutely need to remove the emissions regulations and retards the manufacturers put on all new bikes. it transforms your bike into a new machine and you'll never regret it. my second job is with a dyno tuner and we do these daily

ECUnleashed is an amazing option that most newer bikes 06+ absolutely need to remove the emissions regulations and retards the manufacturers put on all new bikes. it transforms your bike into a new machine and you'll never regret it. my second job is with a dyno tuner and we do these daily

Hey Jared, My bike has a PC5 and an akra slip on and since its been tuned up its a lot easier to ease the clutch out and accelerate (as the stock bike tended to bog down a bit, which I didn't notice until after the tune) but I have a slight flat spot around 3-4000 rpm. It's only momentary but it's there. Do you think the ECU reflash would improve this?

Funny this thread has come up again...coincidental timing maybe? I just received and installed my reflashed ECU tonight. Got it from Darren at ECUWEST. All i can say is it has transformed the bike big time!!

The FCE is great! No more surging on part throttle, no more spluttering from zero to very light throttle......gone! Very progressive, smooth power deliver through the rev range and judging by the exhaust note and the minimal popping on overrun, the fueling is just right. Noted that the bike starts very easy too.

The front end gets 'light' on very little throttle application with the 1st - 3rd gear restrictions removed....takes it nothing to lift the front by rolling on a little more throtle....the bike is an animal!!! It feels , sounds and powers the way it should. The ECU Unleashed by ECUWEST has been the best modification i've done by far! The best way to extract the most performance out of your other bolt on modifications, and beleive me ive got them all ! except internal mods. Still running the PCV with this set up, but it is 'zeroed' at the moment.

I will be taking the bike to be dyno tuned on Monday and will let you all know how it goes. Will do a run in its current tune to check A/F Ratio and HP output, the PCV will be adjusted as requred.

Watch this space..........

UPDATE :

Well guys I had the dyno tune done today and here are the results. The Green line is the ECU Unleashed with PCV 'Zeroed' and the red line is the ECU Unleashed with the PCV tuned. As you can see the PCV smoothed out the AFR which resulted in 2-3 extra horsepower. Is it really worth having both ECU Unleashed and a PCV? well that would make for some interesting discussion I guess. Personally, I would have been happy to have just the ECU Unleashed, but I had the PCV already on the bike so thought I may as well make use of it.

Here are the imperial results below 139.85 Horse Power:

FZ12011ImperialUnits.jpg

Here are the metric results below:

FZ12011MetricUnits.jpg

Here is the comparision in AFR Below - Red is PCV, Green is ECU Unleashed and PCV Zeroed:

Air-Fuel.jpg

Here is a comparision on my 2011 FZ1 Power and Torque Curves (Red Graph) and a 2010 YZF R1 Crossplane Crank (Blue Graph) below - Notice my FZ1 made more power and torque up to 8000rpm, i was happy about that :)

2011FZ1v2010YZFR1.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of questions for you PK . . .

What's the complete list of mods on your bike?

Why should you need the FCE after the reflash? ECU unleashed has always claimed that the reflash elminates deceleration fuel cut. Some reports have shown that the fuel cut is still there after the reflash which would be a major disappointment on the GenII . . .What is your experience?

A couple of questions for you PK . . .

What's the complete list of mods on your bike?

Why should you need the FCE after the reflash? ECU unleashed has always claimed that the reflash elminates deceleration fuel cut. Some reports have shown that the fuel cut is still there after the reflash which would be a major disappointment on the GenII . . .What is your experience?

Hi Eurban,

List of Mods: Arrow Headers, Leo Vince Slip-on, AIS Blocked, Opened Airbox, K&N Filter, Longer Velocity Stacks (Factory Pro), Shaved Secondary Butterflies (CD), Flashed ECU, PCV

The re-flash has removged fuel cut. there has been a definite improvement.

Cheers,
PK:D

Hi Eurban,

List of Mods: Arrow Headers, Leo Vince Slip-on, AIS Blocked, Opened Airbox, K&N Filter, Longer Velocity Stacks (Factory Pro), Shaved Secondary Butterflies (CD), Flashed ECU, PCV

The re-flash has removged fuel cut. there has been a definite improvement.

Cheers,
PK:D

I'm confused . . .In your earlier post you say that the FCE (Ivan's fuel cut eliminator) was great?

Overall, your dyno results look similar to plots I have seen for similarly modded bikes with the stock ECU and proper mapping on the PC. This is not to say that what you feel on the street would be the same particularly with the removal of gear based restrictions.

The pluses for the ECU reflash (in theory anyway) in my mind . . .
Biggest:
Removal of gear based power restrictions
Removal of deceleration fuel cut
Lesser:
Base fueling closer to ideal, tailored (at least somewhat) to the mods on the bike
Ignition parameters tweaked
Secondary throttle plate parameters tweaked

It would be nice to obviate the need for any aftermarket goodies. It does appear that the PC(V or III) will still be needed for fine tuning, which IMHO wouldn't be a deal breaker. If hardware like the FCE or ignition module are still needed then the reflashes value is majorly diminished.

Last edited:
I'm confused . . .In your earlier post you say that the FCE (Ivan's fuel cut eliminator) was great?

Overall, your dyno results look similar to plots I have seen for similarly modded bikes with the stock ECU and proper mapping on the PC. This is not to say that what you feel on the street would be the same particularly with the removal of gear based restrictions.

The pluses for the ECU reflash (in theory anyway) in my mind . . .
Biggest:
Removal of gear based power restrictions
Removal of deceleration fuel cut
Lesser:
Base fueling closer to ideal, tailored (at least somewhat) to the mods on the bike
Ignition parameters tweaked
Secondary throttle plate parameters tweaked

It would be nice to obviate the need for any aftermarket goodies. It does appear that the PC(V or III) will still be needed for fine tuning, which IMHO wouldn't be a deal breaker. If hardware like the FCE or ignition module are still needed then the reflashes value is majorly diminished.

Hi, I am happy with the power output. I am even happier with where the power produced and the improved drivability. When I said FCE I was referring to the FCE which is programmed into the ECU Unleashed (no mention of Ivans - would never hack into harness with one of those). There is definitely fuel cut eliminator, because the bike ran like a pig before the reflash when going from no throttle to light throttle and also when cruisiing on a light throttle as well.

Yes the main reasons i did the reflash was to:

1)remove the restrictions in 1st to 3rd gears (Which is only the timing retarded by 3 degrees btw)
2)Have some form of FCE without having to hack the harness
3)and to benefit from the remapped ignition

The ECU Unleashed will not give more power than a stock ECU with a PCV fitted. The benefits are those listed above. The PCV was used to have some more fuel control and smooth out the A/F ratio even further than reflashed ECU. Not to say that the ECU Unleashed wasnt good enough. imho if i didnt have the PCV already I wouldnt have paid $300 for the extra 3HP obtained from it.

Cheers

Last edited:
From the ECU West Website - as it says ' optional per customer request and application' (When you order your reflash, you tell Darren what mods you have and the options you want)

Heres the list:
◦Remove Throttle Restrictions
◦Increased Idle
◦Increased Rev Limit
◦Remove Speed Limiters (Gear Dependent)
◦Reduce Excessive Engine Braking/Improved Deceleration
◦Improved Throttle Control & Reaction
◦Remove Injector Shut-Off on Deceleration
◦ Eliminate Factory “Error codes” (ex. exhaust valve, steering damper)
◦Improved Fuel Maps
◦Improved Ignition Maps
◦Injector Phasing Adjustment
◦Velocity Stack Switching Adjustment (Variable Stacks Only)
◦Race Fuel Mapping Accommodations

Last edited:
PK,

Thanks for the clarification. As Whittlebeast mentioned some others who have had the flash done (and requested the removal of deceleration fuel cut) did not end up having the fuel cut removed. This was verified in testing and at the time ECU unleashed was unable to correct the problem. Hopefully they have corrected the issue now.
For clarity sake I would suggest that you not call the reflash mod to the ECU, FCE. The mod to the ecu removes the deceleration fuel cut. In the Fizzy world, the FCE is a product made by Ivan (to remove the deceleration fuel cut) and it will just confuse your readers!

Someone ask "If you have your ECU flashed and latter they figure out something better, do you get a reflash for free?"

What is ◦Injector Phasing Adjustment?

◦Increased Idle ?? How do they do that if there is no IAC?

Beast

PK,

Thanks for the clarification. As Whittlebeast mentioned some others who have had the flash done (and requested the removal of deceleration fuel cut) did not end up having the fuel cut removed. This was verified in testing and at the time ECU unleashed was unable to correct the problem. Hopefully they have corrected the issue now.
For clarity sake I would suggest that you not call the reflash mod to the ECU, FCE. The mod to the ecu removes the deceleration fuel cut. In the Fizzy world, the FCE is a product made by Ivan (to remove the deceleration fuel cut) and it will just confuse your readers!

Happy to exchange info to assist fellow FZ Owners. This site has assisted me heaps, so its only right i contribute back.
OK point taken regarding the FCE. So shall we call it a dfce? (deceleration fuel cut eliminator):dontknow: lol.

Semantics? Who really cares except that it is confusing . . .but . . . On the reflash it's not an "eliminator." It's the removal of the fuel cut from the code, presumably at the source. Ivan's FCE (which works very well) tricks the sensor(s) into thinking that throttle is not fully closed and the programmed in decel fuel cut is never activated.

Back