Eric's Gen II Suspension notebook w/ Penske & USD Forks DIY manual!

I had the same problem with my GenII shock top bolt removal.

It took a bit of headscratching but in the end I filed the collar of the bolt flat on one side and then the bolts just squeezes past the abs piping.

Ive reversed the bolt for re-assembly.

i had to remove all but one subframe bolts to be able to push the subframe backwards far enough for the bolt to go through. the thing is that I recently purchased a new fz1 and when I asked them to switch over the old nitron shock, they told me that when pushing the bolt from the other side to spare myself the trouble, I actually pushed out some bushing, so because of that and the vibrations, somewear to the mount and ring has occurred. They CNC-d me a new bushing on the spot free of charge. Id suggest getting an Allen (hex) type of bolt instead if there's one that fits perfectly. that way you can put it in thr the right way without pushing anything out (maybe)
I'm not sure which bushingI was supposed to have pushed out. Could it have been missing in the first place? I didn't see any leftover pieces on the ground. You probably should have it checked anyway. The service manual should have an exploded scheme and the shock manual a complete list of parts one can tick off during a cold winter day

Skickat från min GT-I9295 via Tapatalk 2

I had a bush come out on the abs piping side of the top mounting points.

I just pushed it back in and replaced the bolt.

I also considered removing the subframe but was able to get a power file in the space I had and grind the side of the bolts collar, it slid past everything then.

The shock was obviously fitted first in the factory and everything was built around it...

Last edited:
I now also run a 60 profile Dunlop Roadsmart 2 in the back with my previous 10mm fork drop and 5mm shock length increase. works fine. An update is that I was left in the dust by a 20 year old on a 690 supermotard. so improved suspension is not a replacement for balls and skill

Skickat från min GT-I9295 via Tapatalk 2

Back