Fairing vibration... easy fix?

God I hate that dang vibration!!!!! Mine has been making me crazy. I was just about to post about it. Thanks for the info. I'm glad I do electrical work so there's always plenty of tape around.

Seems this vibration afflicts the FZ1's sooner or later. I can't believe Yamaha didn't do a better job of "fixing" it with the '08 or '09 models. My '06 was making the noise when I bought it and I took it apart and used silicone between the two panels to fix it.

Mine is an 07. I came up with the electrical tape idea.

My strips of electrical tape finally vibrated out. They lasted 3000 miles. Not bad. I just took it for its 4K servicing.

I just put new ones in. So far, so good. Ya can't beat it for an easy fix.

How is it working for you all????????

Steve

We've seen that Yamaha had two different methods of attaching this vent. The issue seems to be more prevalent with the vents that have the single pin and no double-sided tape, like my '09 had.

Mine sure isn't going to vibrate any more and should never have to be revisited. :tup:

mine buzzed for about 100 miles and then quit on its own.

Why are you worried your bike has 000000 miles on it :eek5:. Why don't you go ride it and find out if you get a buzz?

mine buzzed for about 100 miles and then quit on its own.

Why are you worried your bike has 000000 miles on it :eek5:. Why don't you go ride it and find out if you get a buzz?

:rofl: That's a good one! :tup: "Yeah, bought this new FZ1 mantle piece!" "Ain't she purdy!?!?" ;)

Last edited:
So I took the whole vent out completely. Wasn't doing anything important anyway. Now it rattles worse than before. And I tried the elec tape thing and it still rattles. Need to do some major surgery I think.

Ok, so I took a close loot at mine today. I have been wondering why I have not had this issue. There is a foam cushion installed under and along the entire front edge of this on my bike. I will try to get a photo tomorrow.

Windshield

When I recently installed a new windshield I also took the time to fix the vibration problem on my 08. With the shield off it was easy to see where the "dash" was contacting the fairing by where the dust had rubbed the finish. I used 2mm. by 1 cm. strips of clear 3M headlight protector film,(like thick rubbery scotch tape). I cleaned the surface of the "dash" edges,(the edge is tapered all around the plastic Dash), and by gently pushing the dash down, slipped the tape into place. This uses the rather thick clear film as a spacer that has a damping affect. By placing the "tape" at all the locations that were making contact, the vibration was eliminated. I took the bike out on Saturday and the "fix" was confirmed.

I just got my spare front fairing and found out that the vent is very secure and does not move at all. I guess the 07 Ravens are differently made. I never had this issue with my bike.

Also another thing I noticed is that there is an additional tab that secures the vent in the front of the fairing in addition to the one tab in the center. Its stays put

I just got my spare front fairing and found out that the vent is very secure and does not move at all. I guess the 07 Ravens are differently made. I never had this issue with my bike.

Also another thing I noticed is that there is an additional tab that secures the vent in the front of the fairing in addition to the one tab in the center. Its stays put

I have the 2007 also (in green) and I do get the annoying vibration

Back