Fairing vibration... easy fix?

Just kidding. Its raven black. I think some FZ1s didn't have the fairing issue. I think it is probably because maybe Yamaha changed the vendor for that vent sometime between the production cycles.

No wonder they changed the vendor in that case ... Does the raven have the gold fork and gold rims ?

It ain't pretty, but....

I went to the hardware store and got a small rubber stopper, like the ones you used in science class in high school. I trimmed the sides with a box cutter so the places touching the vent and the speedo were flat. I then cut a groove in the top of the stopper for the edge of the vent piece to rest in. This seems to hold the stopper in place. Make the stopper thick enough that you have to pull the vent and speedo apart a little to slip it in. Only about 4000 miles since then, but it seems to work really well.

Last edited:
I went to the hardware store and got a small rubber stopper, like the ones you used in science class in high school. I trimmed the sides with a box cutter so the places touching the vent and the speedo were flat. I then cut a groove in the top of the stopper for the edge of the vent piece to rest in. This seems to hold the stopper in place. Make the stopper thick enough that you have to pull the vent and speedo apart a little to slip it in. Only about 4000 miles since then, but it seems to work really well.

I like that one. I may try it next time my electrical tape vibrates out. Thanks.

Same Vibration?

I too am having the same vibrations at about 4500rpms (and then stopping at about 5 or 6). Initially I thougth it was the radiator guard vibrating off of the radiator itself, but now I am thinking otherwise after reading these posts. Has anyone had any issues with the radiator guard or strickly just the vent fairing?

I have an 06 FZ1, bought it used with 5000 miles on it (purchased 5/13/10). Absolutly loving it!! Just wish the rain would hold out for me. Who would of thought it would ever rain in Seattle?

Thanks Guys!

Never heard of any issues with the radiator guards. You can try reaching between the top of the instrument cluster and the windscreen with your left hand when you hear the vibrations. Applying a little pressure should make it stop. This will verify the issue for sure, but more than likely that's what it is.

I know you guys have various fixes so here's mine - I've just used a 6in wide piece of bicycle inner tube - rolled and then put between the instrument cluster and the air vent. Its thick enough to push the vent firmly up to the fairing and looks oem to me being black rubber. It worked on my test ride just now but I'll post up if its a good long term fix later.

Jon

I recently had to take mine apart to have the bike painted and decided to line my vent thingy with doublesided tape on reassembly. No more vibration. I even accidently broke the stupid little pin in the middle but it turns out it really didn't matter.

Being paranoid, I purchased another vent for $23 from the dealer but decided not to put it on as I no longer saw a need to replace because i broke the center pin.

For all with the vibration, just line the inside corners with DS tape and that will fix the problem.

Just adding another idea/solution...

My "new" '06 was doing the exact same thing. (VERY loud buzzing.) I found that 8" zip-ties stuffed between the fairing and vent fit quite tightly. Buzz-be-gone...

picture.php

Last edited:
Buzzzzzzzzzz fix

On my 09 fz1 I removed thew windshield then carefully pulled the front 2 clips on the triangle vent then pulled up slowly until the vent clip in the center disconnected i cleaned the areas to be glued applied silicone snapped the vent back in took less then ten minutes the pictures are what led me to go that route rather then removing everything just my .02 worked like a charm

My "new" '06 was doing the exact same thing. (VERY loud buzzing.) I found that 8" zip-ties stuffed between the fairing and vent fit quite tightly. Buzz-be-gone...

picture.php

Darth did you have to remove anything except the windshield?
I have that problems also, readed the Thread where someone has completely removed the front of his bike, but i dont wanna try that.

To get it fixed i have to but something between die vent and the fairing, from up till down, am i right?

Fixed it today! The vent went off without removing the whole front. It was enough to unscrew the windshield an then twisted gently at the vent.

Thanks for the help and impressions here :)

I taped it with a 1,5 mm thick 3M doublesided adhesive tape. The whole vent around , and one 6 mm thick spot in the middle . So the vent has no direct contact any more to fairing.

And its not quite visible at the front .

My buzz appears to be the instrument cluster rather than the vent... A lightish finger on the clocks stops the buzz, but no amount of pushing or prodding the vent behind has any effect. Could the instrument mountings be getting loose perhaps?

I fixed my bike by placing the little clear round stick things you put in your cupboards so they don't bang when you close them under my wind screen. Problem fixed! Only took 18 months to work this one out... LOL

Back