Fairing vibration... easy fix?

My buzz appears to be the instrument cluster rather than the vent... A lightish finger on the clocks stops the buzz, but no amount of pushing or prodding the vent behind has any effect. Could the instrument mountings be getting loose perhaps?
I used a clear length of plastic hose[you could use black if you like] approx 1/4 id, from the far left of the cluster down to the corner of the tacho [not over it]as I said in another post was only going to be a temp fix but after a day or so,I never notice it,that was a few months ago, it`s there for good now

Last edited:
This buzz drove me crazy. Every single time I hit between 4k and 4.5k on the tach, the buzzing went nuts. I'm so glad I found this thread. I actually took mine in for a warranty repair when this was happening. The dealer fixed it for a while, but then it came back again. I eventually pulled the screen off and popped off the vent thing. I stuck some double sided foam in between the vent and the body fairing and that solved it.

Easy fix? depends on what you call easy!

I also had a terrible buzz from the front fairing between 4-5.5k. I tried everything listed on this sight with no relief. I have been working on a few other mods this week instead. I put a PCIII on and decided I would see what all the hype was about for removing the secondary flies. BINGO DING DING YOU ARE THE WINNER! Not only did I get more low end power but that damn buzzing in the front is GONE! There is a little at the end of 5k but less than a quarter of what it was. If you want to eliminate the buzzing stop pulling out your hair and start pulling those flies instead. It's actually pretty easy just be sure to heat up those screws first! Best mod yet!

that i would even try also (but at last)

In my oppinion my buzz got worse at that point i installed the smaller flies (but did the airbox mod same day)

maybe thats a solution for my problem too, thanks for the hint :)

I finally got around to doing this few weeks ago. It never bothered me too much, because I ride with ear plugs about 99% of the time.
I went the "remove the screen, pull out the little triangle and use silicone" route. Very quick and very easy! ZERO noise now!!
There WAS a lot of silicone that spooged out on the inside (the triangle to fairing interface). I used a bicycle spoke to get into the vent from the top and gently extract the access. :tup:

God I love this forum. I just got my '12 last week and that buzzing is about the only thing I don't like about the bike. I come on here and viola, not only do I find out my bike isn't the only doing it, but that there's a fix for it. :tup:

just take off the windshield. It's all accessible from there. Use 3M tape (I used the Heavy Duty 20lb stuff) to go around the edges. You can make it extremely neat with a little patience. It was driving me crazy before... been happy ever since.

Mine is totally buzz free for the 1st time since I have owned it (since 3k miles, now 18k) I found so many places on the fairing where it meets the inner fairing, the vent, and where it meets the headlight assembly, especially under it. I will try to post pics of all the rubs of plastic tomorrow from the old fairing that I changed out today. Got ran lff the road and got my new fairing so I installed it the same way with silicone in places. I bought the good stuff and in black. I siliconed all of those spots before and she had stayed quiet, so did it with the new fairing today. Will do a road twst tomorrow after it has had the night to set up. Was about a 2 hr job total today

Back